Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HID Bi-xenon retrofit complete! (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you think $200 + shipping for TL projectors is good?? i know they're pricey, but worth it??
Old 01-29-2008, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by derK
do you think $200 + shipping for TL projectors is good?? i know they're pricey, but worth it??
As far as I know, that's about the going rate for TLs... but I don't have any experience with them. Superjoe83 has some, you should ask him if that's a good deal and how difficult it is to modify the foreground limiter.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw that you paid $100 for your projectors, what is the going rate for those? Do you know? I really like the pattern on them and the cutoff.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
I saw that you paid $100 for your projectors, what is the going rate for those? Do you know? I really like the pattern on them and the cutoff.
I think the porsches usually go for about $150. They had a few scratches on the lenses (doesn't affect output) and were missing part of the original mounting brackets (which I was going to cut off anyway), so the guy sold them to me for $110.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
I think the porsches usually go for about $150. They had a few scratches on the lenses (doesn't affect output) and were missing part of the original mounting brackets (which I was going to cut off anyway), so the guy sold them to me for $110.
I also liked the Porsche projectors. Finding a set was very hard. I looked for several weeks with no luck. Retro-fit-source doesn't carry them anymore and hidplanet wants $269 for the pair. So....I opted for the FX35s. Probably not as good, but from what I've read, they're not too bad. Plus, I only payed $46 for the pair on Ebay. I'll start my retro in the next couple of weeks.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JHRRLD
Okay cool... That is the diagram I'm following to make my harness curently

I thought you were implying that when you switched on your highs the shield moved like it was supposed to yet the HIDs switched off.

Clear as mud
If you have DRLs that will not work for you, check my thread on HIDPlanet, another member and I were trying to figure it out and almost had it but I took my headlight apart to redo it.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:02 AM

just a quick question, since all the hid gurus are here, whats the deals w/ porshce, murano, 350z projectors? they all the same? how do rs6's compare to some other setups?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hiloracerboy84
just a quick question, since all the hid gurus are here, whats the deals w/ porshce, murano, 350z projectors? they all the same? how do rs6's compare to some other setups?
the Porsche, murano, and 350z projectors are made by the same company, and are very similar in construction, all three are good projectors, the RS6 is an older projector, with less performance than the newer Japanese projectors on the market
Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by UNR.Grad
If you have DRLs that will not work for you, check my thread on HIDPlanet, another member and I were trying to figure it out and almost had it but I took my headlight apart to redo it.
Why? I have disable my DRLs and my lights work just like that should with out the DRLs. That would lead me to believe i wouldn't have any problem with that wiring diagram. Not true? Oh and can you direct me to your thread on HIDPlanet I cannot find it. Same username?
Old 02-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JHRRLD
Why? I have disable my DRLs and my lights work just like that should with out the DRLs. That would lead me to believe i wouldn't have any problem with that wiring diagram. Not true? Oh and can you direct me to your thread on HIDPlanet I cannot find it. Same username?
I thought so too, but that's not the case. I hope you get it figured out before I get my retro rebuilt and need to build another harness. PFDAXE, have you built a harness yet? Here you go:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...=356387#356387
Old 02-01-2008, 07:03 PM

I thought so too, but that's not the case. I hope you get it figured out before I get my retro rebuilt and need to build another harness. PFDAXE, have you built a harness yet? Here you go:
I'm reusing mine that I already use since I have HIDs.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:33 AM

I'm pretty sure we went about disabling the DRLs two different ways. On the 2000 the DRL control box is right next to the battery (in between battery and fender and has a heat sink of some sort on it). All I did to disable my DRLs is unplug that thing. Also I noticed in that thread someone pointed out that with the DRLs on our year trucks we have a dual positive/common ground system. Oh boy this should be fun Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: from reading through that thread more we should follow this wiring diagram (96-00 with DRLs):

EDIT2: UNR.GRAD did you try this wiring diagram? It's not clear to me if you had or not. Thanks

Last edited by JHRRLD; 02-02-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:44 AM

well i got some 04 acura TL projectors, denso slim ballasts and phillips 85122+D2s bulbs for $390 shipped. I think that's fair...now to find some clear headlights!! i don't want to work on mine because of downtime + fear of totally botching them that i can't even get them to work anymore.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by derK
well i got some 04 acura TL projectors, denso slim ballasts and phillips 85122+D2s bulbs for $390 shipped. I think that's fair...now to find some clear headlights!! i don't want to work on mine because of downtime + fear of totally botching them that i can't even get them to work anymore.
Good find....
Old 02-08-2008, 12:05 PM

Another question:

When performing the retrofit, how are you ensuring that the projectors are going to have good alignment?

Does the headlamp assembly have suffient alignment control?

My concern would be placment of the projectors inside the OE headlamp assembly and wanting them to be as symmetrical as possible.

Any thought(s) on this?
Old 02-09-2008, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by wiggin
Another question:

When performing the retrofit, how are you ensuring that the projectors are going to have good alignment?

Does the headlamp assembly have suffient alignment control?

My concern would be placment of the projectors inside the OE headlamp assembly and wanting them to be as symmetrical as possible.

Any thought(s) on this?
Basically the trick is to get the horizontal alignment perfect. Since the stock aiming screws control up/down and left/right, if you get the horzontal alignment right then you're good to go.

There are a few vertical and horizontal lines in the reflector which run perpendicular to the bulb opening which I used as guidelines. I drilled the holes and mounted the projectors to where they lined up, and then I tested the alignment by mounting the headlights on my rig and firing them up. After a few minor tweaks I went ahead and closed them up and sealed them.

There are some alternative mounting methods which allow for rotational adjustment after you've sealed everything up. Check out JnC's method on HIDPlanet.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:34 PM

i got my TLs today! they rock. I now have to find a set of headlights so i can start on this project
Old 02-13-2008, 07:29 PM

Congrats man! Can't wait to see 'em...
Old 02-14-2008, 08:42 PM

I'll start my retro in the next week or so. I did some experimenting with different lenses and o-ring spacers for cut-off and color. Check the pics below as I connected the projectors to my existing ballast:

On the left is FX35 projector with TSX lens and color mod o-ring spacer. On the right is stock FX35 with stock clear lens. Both used Philips 85122+ bulbs. I did notice when spacing the lens, I lost a bit of foreground. But, by adding the HID fogs, I regain great foreground.

Pic of (1) FX35 projector with TSX lens and color mod against a beige garage door:

Pic of (1) stock FX35 with stock clear lens:

Last edited by pfdaxe; 02-14-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:11 AM

awesome, I got in my tsx lenses this week and I'll be doing the same this weekend. What did you use for the spacers? Care to elaborate how you have your ballasts wired in?

Quick Reply: HID Bi-xenon retrofit complete! (w/ pics)