Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HID Bi-xenon retrofit complete! (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
You know 3400 lumen for a 55watt bulb seems a little low. I haev a 35w HID flashlight and it gets 3000 lumens.

I think you might be right about the ballest.
Where are you getting the info that a 55watt HID bulb is 3400 lumens? The Philips 85122+ are 35 watt and 3400 lumens. Retro-solutions doesn't list the lumens (although I did write to them asking for specs). The Philips DL50 50watt HID bulb is 5300 lumens but the kelvin is only 3900 so it is probably very bright, but more yellowish tint. Heres a link: http://www.bulbman.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=16015

Look how fat that capsule is

pdyebrasil: Where did you get 6800 lumens from?

Last edited by pfdaxe; 01-23-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
3400 x 2 (per bulb) = 6800 lumens
Old 01-23-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by pdyebrasil
3400 x 2 (per bulb) = 6800 lumens
Ahhh...gotcha
Old 01-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Philips 85122+ bulbs are rated at 3400 lumens, but they run off of 35w ballasts. You need a special bulb that runs off of a 50w ballast, which I'm sure are rated higher. But 6800 lumens out in front of you ain't half bad...
Opps, quoted the wrong post. I was meaning to quote the post with the 55watt bulb and ballests above yours.

Originally Posted by pfdaxe
Where are you getting the info that a 55watt HID bulb is 3400 lumens? The Philips 85122+ are 35 watt and 3400 lumens. Retro-solutions doesn't list the lumens (although I did write to them asking for specs). The Philips DL50 50watt HID bulb is 5300 lumens but the kelvin is only 3900 so it is probably very bright, but more yellowish tint. Heres a link: http://www.bulbman.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=16015

Look how fat that capsule is

See above.

I was refering to this:

55watt bulb and ballast: http://www.retro-solutions.com/55wattpackages.html

Only 3400 lumen from a 55w bulb. Seems like a cheap set to me.

I agree that those other lights are brighter, when i get mine i am going to find the brightest 50w+ bulb i can and see what she looks like. lol
Old 01-24-2008, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Opps, quoted the wrong post. I was meaning to quote the post with the 55watt bulb and ballests above yours.

See above.

I was refering to this:

55watt bulb and ballast: http://www.retro-solutions.com/55wattpackages.html

Only 3400 lumen from a 55w bulb. Seems like a cheap set to me.

I agree that those other lights are brighter, when i get mine i am going to find the brightest 50w+ bulb i can and see what she looks like. lol
Re-read...3400 lumens are from the Philips 85122+. A "35 watt" bulbs not a 55 watt bulb. The Philips DL50 50 watt bulbs are 5300 lumens and the retro-solutions 55 watt 4300k bulbs are 4100 lumens. I think I'm going to try the 85122+ bulbs 1st and see how they are.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:35 AM

just wondering why you chose the FX projectors when we have an abundance of room in our housings?? Did you ever contemplate using Acura TL projectors?? i think i might give those a shot.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by derK
just wondering why you chose the FX projectors when we have an abundance of room in our housings?? Did you ever contemplate using Acura TL projectors?? i think i might give those a shot.
The FX are easily available and to mod. They have a decent cut off and beam pattern. The TL are good for cars because they sit lower, but they have a foreground limiter that wouldn't be good in a vehicle lifted or sat higher than a car. The Porcshe and Muranos are good also and they are 3" projectors.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:31 PM

there is a mod that helps with more foreground light. I know either way i'll be happy with ANY projector but i know i won't be satisfied with just a mediocre one. Not saying that the FX is a bad projector but on HID planet the top 3 are the S2000, LS, TL.

In the end i'll most likely end up with FX projectors because like you said they are readily available as well as they are quite moddable. I just want something intense, with a new blue/white/purple color fade and a killer sharp cutoff. I'm sure the FX with a clear lens and the color mod would fullfill that.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:40 PM

there is a mod that helps with more foreground light. I know either way i'll be happy with ANY projector but i know i won't be satisfied with just a mediocre one. Not saying that the FX is a bad projector but on HID planet the top 3 are the S2000, LS, TL.

In the end i'll most likely end up with FX projectors because like you said they are readily available as well as they are quite moddable. I just want something intense, with a new blue/white/purple color fade and a killer sharp cutoff. I'm sure the FX with a clear lens and the color mod would fullfill that.
FX is the way I'm going too, TSX lens swap and color mod. Thanks to pfdaxe for convincing me of that..
Old 01-25-2008, 12:56 PM

The S2000s are single beam. They are not Bi-xenons like the FX, Porsche, Muranos etc. The TLs are also Bi-xenons but cost about double.

Last edited by pfdaxe; 01-25-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to say that the beam pattern that this thread can't get much better. I think that i am going to go with Porsche on mine.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:47 PM

Wait for pics from us FX mod'd TSX lens swapped peeps. Should be pretty close from what I have seen...
Old 01-25-2008, 04:52 PM

Both the LS projectors and S2000s are low beam only. Fx projectors are not bad, but Muranos, Porsches, and TLs are all more intense.

If you color mod your projectors you are not going to have a super sharp cut-off. All color-modding does is basically put the lens a little out of focus, which results in more color but not as sharp of a cutoff.

If you want more flicker, then you can have a sharp cutoff.

For example, the Porsches don't have a huge amount of color, just a hint of purple at the cutoff, but the cutoff is sharp and has very intense flicker.

I hope that makes sense?
Old 01-26-2008, 10:49 PM

are your porsche projectors stock??
Old 01-26-2008, 11:45 PM

are your porsche projectors stock??
Yep. I decided not to mod them cuz I really like how they are stock.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:00 PM

sorry for all the questions, but i'm no electrical guru..

the harness you made, does that leave the HIDs on at ALL times?? even for daytime lights, are the HIDs on?? i'm rather confused.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:57 PM

sorry for all the questions, but i'm no electrical guru..

the harness you made, does that leave the HIDs on at ALL times?? even for daytime lights, are the HIDs on?? i'm rather confused.
Don't apologize for asking questions, that's what this forum is for!!!

The harness I made makes the lights act exactly like stock. My '98 doesn't have DRLs so I didn't have to mess with those. The only difference is that the low beams stay on when the high beams are activated (otherwise the lights would turn off completely).

I did end up rewiring my fog lights to come on w/ the park lights though, because they were wired to the low beam, and since you only utilize one of the H4 sockets to activate the HIDs, the circuit wasn't complete and the fog lights wouldn't work. Which is fine because I wanted to do that anyway
Old 01-28-2008, 04:55 AM

...The only difference is that the low beams stay on when the high beams are activated (otherwise the lights would turn off completely)....
Did you wire in a diode or something to accomplish this?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by JHRRLD
Did you wire in a diode or something to accomplish this?
No, I didn't use a diode, I used two relays: one for low beam and one for high. In our 4Runners we have a switched ground system, so when you turn on your lights the H4 socket gets 12v and grounds the low beam, and when you switch it to high it turns off the lows and grounds the high beam.

If you look at the diagram I posted earlier in this thread (post #30) the low beam relay is triggered by the 12v (the low ground isn't used at all) and the high beam relay is triggered by the high ground.

Relays last longer and are easier to change out, so I think that this is the best way to go.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:05 AM

No, I didn't use a diode, I used two relays: one for low beam and one for high. In our 4Runners we have a switched ground system, so when you turn on your lights the H4 socket gets 12v and grounds the low beam, and when you switch it to high it turns off the lows and grounds the high beam.

If you look at the diagram I posted earlier in this thread (post #30) the low beam relay is triggered by the 12v (the low ground isn't used at all) and the high beam relay is triggered by the high ground.

Relays last longer and are easier to change out, so I think that this is the best way to go.
Okay cool... That is the diagram I'm following to make my harness curently

I thought you were implying that when you switched on your highs the shield moved like it was supposed to yet the HIDs switched off.

Clear as mud

Quick Reply: HID Bi-xenon retrofit complete! (w/ pics)