Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help with URD short shift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with URD short shift kit?

Hey gang,

I just installed my URD short shift kit. I have a 2000 tacoma with a 3" BL. I installed this because I've read here that the short shift will help make the truck shift easier because it will line up the shifter with the boot.

Well, now I can barely get it into 2nd, 4th, and reverse with the boot installed. It's actually really hard to even get the boot lined up with the screw holes!

Does anybody have any ideas on this one?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Some tips below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...l#ManualTranny

Likely the boot is not perfectly centered on the shifter pivot point. Since 2-4-R are o the back in the pattern, the boot may be too far forward, move it back a bit and see if it shifts better.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:42 PM

The holes only line up in one spot, and I've got it pulled back as far as I can. I just finished notching the the metal boot "retainer" plate and also cut the underside of the boot. It now goes into 2-4-R, but it's stiff as all get out... and it kinda defeats my purpose.

I don't care about any "performance" aspects of a short shift, especially seeing how the shift takes just as long if not LONGER now that I have to fight it into (and out of) almost every gear.

I was hoping that it would allow me to have a non-torn boot (since hot air was blowing through the tear into the cab), but it defeats the purpose if I have to cut the boot to make it shift.

I took some pictures, so I'll see if I can upload them.

These are shot in Neutral and 2H

Boot Mod:

Plate mod:

Last edited by chromatest; 08-02-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:50 PM

I just read over the tips on your page, and now I understand what you mean by "move it back".. I drill new holes! When the boot is upside down, it looks like the openings on the underside are lined up pretty well with the shifters though.

I'm guessing that I need to have an extension in the shifter to make this work. If that's the case, I'll just sell this short shifter kit and put my 3" extended shifter back in.

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
Some tips below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...l#ManualTranny

Likely the boot is not perfectly centered on the shifter pivot point. Since 2-4-R are o the back in the pattern, the boot may be too far forward, move it back a bit and see if it shifts better.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Whack out the web in the middle of the metal piece, short and sweet. So instead of having OO shape you end up with one big oval hole.

And yes, the holes only line up in one place, but I'm not saying use the lined up holes. Move boot back and make new holes in the boot to line up with the holes in the floor/tunnel and then attach the boot farther back from where it now sits. As you can see below, there are original holes and then new holes an inch or so in front of the original holes with the screws in them. This in effect moves the boot *back* about 1" to align the cone of the boot over the pivot of the shifter:

The short throw kit won't "eliminate" a 3" body lift. It raises the pivot point about 1", so that leaves a 2" lift. Then it halves the throw of the shifter itself so that net 2" lift is still like a 1" net body lift. So if you are having trouble shifting at 3" + short throw, you would have basically the same problem shifting with a 1" body lift and stock shifter.

Another option is to push the rubber boot down farther on the shifter or invert it as shown on the above page.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 08-02-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 PM

I chopped out the middle part of the metal retainer.

I also cut the bottom part of the boot so the driver's side of that bottom flap is now totally gone.

I moved the entire boot assembly back 15/16 of an inch.

Now everything works about how I guess it should.

Strange thing though, it gets *STUCK* in 4th gear. I have to give it quite a bit of extra muscle to get out of 4th gear.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Last night driving home, I couldn't get it out of 4th at all... I finally got off the freeway and coasted into a safe parking lot (clutch in) and shut the engine off. Then I was able to "bump" it out of gear and luckily, I was then able to move it about mostly normally.

Anybody have any ideas about what could be causing this?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Might pull out the shifter and look at the extension carefully and see if there are any signs of it rubbing or binding where it fits into the top of the trans. Or give the folks at URD a call, they might have some ideas. And to eliminate the shift boot as the cause, see how it works with the boots removed (temporarily). If it still gets stuck w/o the boots, then the boots are not the problem.