Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!

I'm trying to install the rear panhard drop bracket and I'm unable to remove the bolt holding the panhard drop bar to the frame, I'll try and post a photo once the batteries are charged for my camera. The bolt in question is 19mm and has a tab which appears to hold it in place, I've sprayed with PB blaster and "tapped" it with a BFH but no luck. Has anyone else had problems removing this bolt? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance for any input.bolt photo

Last edited by Goldrunner; 08-24-2004 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Bump, batteries online, photo downloaded.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No photo as of 8/25 5:11 am MDT.

But, I think you ought to keep hitting it with PB, Liquid Wrench or equivalent for about a week. I can't make a judgement about the degree of rust on yours. You might also try heating it a little with a propane torch...just remember the penetrating oil will burn...as will the rubber bushing if you get it too hot.
Old 08-25-2004, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Hayduke, if you click on bolt photo at the end of my thread it should pull up the photo, its a little fuzzy. I'll give it another dousing of PB and let it sit for awhile, I dont have that much rust so hopefully by tonight I can pound it out.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of the guys have sprayed stubborn parts every day for a week to get them loosened up. I'm lucky, every nut on my southwest 4Runner has popped loose with a good tug on a breaker bar (approx. 18 in.). If you don't have a nice breaker bar, get one...they'll save you a good butt-chewing from your spouse for your foul language.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:04 PM
Contributing Member

I think she likes the foul language. My truck lived near the ocean for some time so probably has more rust than yours. I'm heading home now to give it another shot, if it doesnt budge I'll get the torch out. Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2004, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

I did the panhard on my 90 about a month ago. It was like 100 degrees and so my memory may be missing some parts.....

I used PB blaster, a torque wrench(set to loosen, obviously) and another wrench on the nut in the rear.
I think I removed the nut on the back of the bolt, then tapped the bolt forward a bit. That moved it out of that tab thing. Then you can remove it about 1/2 way with a socket wrench.
The rest of the way, I had to beat it with a hammer and screwdriver to get it all the way out.
Good luck!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Golden, I just cut it out with a sawzall, it appears to have welded itself to the bushing in the bar, tomorrow I'll take the thing next door to my neighbors and drill it out on his press. I'm not positive, but it looks like it was threaded all the way through the panhard bushing. Hopefully I'll have it done tomorrow night and will post some picks of the truck with the lift installed(BJ spacers and daystars in the back).
Thanks for the support!