Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

helix on a 3-vze?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
helix on a 3-vze?

hey guys (and gals) not to re-open a can of worms but has anybody out there tried to fit one of these helix things on to a 3.0 engine. what were the results? love it or lose it?
Old 03-24-2003, 08:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless they just came out with one, Helix doesn't make an application for the 3.0. Even the guys with the 3.4 who tried them out said they didn't notice any change. Some said they lost power. I'd never try it... it's like that tornado thing that you stick in your intake... just a gimmick.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:31 PM

I agree, those items sound like a hoax. There is not enough evidence to support any stated increase of anything.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Churnd
Unless they just came out with one, Helix doesn't make an application for the 3.0. Even the guys with the 3.4 who tried them out said they didn't notice any change. Some said they lost power. I'd never try it... it's like that tornado thing that you stick in your intake... just a gimmick.
(Not to use "you" langauge here, which I know is bad in communication) but...You are the one always asking for data to back up claims for the Helix, yet you cant back up the claim that this part loses power. I dont think its right for you to say its a gimmick without backing it up. Yeah, we have "heard" of some Tundra guys that tested it, and now call it the "power toilet", and Gadget doesn't like it, etc etc. It goes both ways. No one here on the forum has dyno'd it (that I know of), so, claims in either direction should be strictly on an experience basis.

My "experience" is more throttle response (very slight) and a whistle that Corey always gives me a hard time about. That was on my 98 3.4. I also gained .5MPG.

So until someone settles this once and for all by dropping some cash on a dyno runs 3 with, and 3 without, I think we all need to go off personal experience. The question is, who here has bought the thing and NOT liked it?
Old 03-25-2003, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

By the way, I am not flaming, I am just stating my opinion.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by <96 Runner>
By the way, I am not flaming, I am just stating my opinion.
That's totally cool.

You're right, I don't have one and I've never experienced one. My advice was based purely on what I've read about how others liked it/disliked it. Over on TTORA, several people dyno'd their trucks and found either no improvement or a loss of power. I was just offering my opinion of the product, and I think that comes better from somebody who hasn't already bought one... because biasing tends to take place. Nobody likes to admit that they just spent $150 bucks on their truck and didn't notice any improvement.

It's like when I bought my Jacobs Ignition... I wanted to believe there was more power than I actually got to justify me spending $400 on the system. But in reality, that just wasn't so. I don't regret buying the system now... I just wish it had more of a performance boost to justify the price. Really all it comes down to is a gamble, as no two trucks are the same. One person might benefit from it, while another might not. I believe you when you say that you got an improvement in HP and mileage, but you're the only one I've ever seen post that. So because of that my opinion on it doesn't change. I still think it's a gimmick and that the money might be better off spent elsewhere for a definite power increase.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Its cool churnd! Trust me, i've been there with the gimmicks...

79 Supra: Bought myself a Tornado, yeah that worked...

88 Mazda B2200: Blew 2 trannies thinking it was a drag truck...

95 Civic: Put an "SIR" sticker on it, and a hot air intake, $550 exhaust, $300 header, gained .1 sec in the 1/4 mile...yeah that worked.

By no means do I think the Helix is huge power increase. But, I swear I felt more throttle response, and I have excel spreadsheets on my gas mileage. That's all I am going by. Once again, if it wasnt for the whistle, I wouldnt buy it either.

I just like to sound like a turbo when I really dont have one. Its a fast n furious thing I guess