Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Front brake stopped working, dealer quoted $2500 to fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sound is really loud and annoying that I can still hear it with the radio on. I suspect that the pump/motor is probably not working properly or it might just go bad soon. I talked to the technician who installed the unit and he said the same thing, it is the pump. I went back to the pick-n-pull shop where I got the unit from and he agreed to try to find me another unit to replace this one. I hope he finds me a good working unit so that I won’t have to spend anymore time on this. I will replace the unit myself this time since the technician is going to charge me again to replace it. I was there the first time when he installed the unit and it didn’t seem that complicated to do it. Anyway, I will keep you guys posted!

Thanks,
Henry
Old 07-21-2006, 11:47 AM

I talked to the guy who I purchased the brake unit from and he said the car that he pulled the unit from has only 25000 miles on it and that the brake unit should work just fine. He said the sound might just go away if the brake system is bled properly. The brake really works great, except that it makes the loud sound. Is there a possibility that the unit is making this sound rather louder than normal, because the system was not bled correctly? I watched the technician who replaced the unit the whole time and he didn’t have any special machine to bleed the system…he actually bled it manually. I honestly don’t think that he has a lot of experience with this 2001 4Runner brake system. Would it make any different if I were to get it bled by say Les Schawb or Toyota Dealer?

Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Henry
Old 07-21-2006, 01:25 PM

This is an intriguing thread. I have never seen this type of system. Would it be possible to post a pic or two of the system?
Old 07-22-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Henry,

Go here to see how I made a cheap easy tool to properly bleed your brakes easily and by yourself.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:31 AM

GSGALLANT,

Do you think it would make any different by bleeding the system again? The brake really works fine...the sound is coming from the pump. I really suspect that it is just a bad pump. Seems like the choices that I have now are:

1- Since the brake works, ignore the sound and drive as it is
2- Pay Les Schwab $49 to bleed the system again to see if the sound goes away
(I suspect it would make any different at all)
3- Take the Brake Assembly back to the junkyard and get another unit, maybe a good working one (I have to pay $100 more but I don’t have any problem paying for it).
4- Take it to the dealer and have them do a diagnostics on the brake system (It costs around $50 to check and I really don’t see the benefit of doing this because they would recommend replacing the whole assembly which is $2500 if they find something wrong).

I’m leaning toward taking the unit back to the junkyard and get another unit. I really believe that this unit has a bad pump and maybe I will get lucky with another unit.

GSGALLAND, What do you think is the best choice for me? Please give me some advices…

Thanks,
Henry
Old 07-27-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HenrySacto
GSGALLANT,

Do you think it would make any different by bleeding the system again? The brake really works fine...the sound is coming from the pump. I really suspect that it is just a bad pump. Seems like the choices that I have now are:

1- Since the brake works, ignore the sound and drive as it is
2- Pay Les Schwab $49 to bleed the system again to see if the sound goes away
(I suspect it would make any different at all)
3- Take the Brake Assembly back to the junkyard and get another unit, maybe a good working one (I have to pay $100 more but I don’t have any problem paying for it).
4- Take it to the dealer and have them do a diagnostics on the brake system (It costs around $50 to check and I really don’t see the benefit of doing this because they would recommend replacing the whole assembly which is $2500 if they find something wrong).

I’m leaning toward taking the unit back to the junkyard and get another unit. I really believe that this unit has a bad pump and maybe I will get lucky with another unit.

GSGALLAND, What do you think is the best choice for me? Please give me some advices…

Thanks,
Henry
I would pick option 3, but why is it going to cost you another $100? If the guy sold you a defective unit, he should be willing to take it back and give you a good one (if he can find one) without charging you extra. It doesn't matter if he says that it "shouldn't be defective" because it only has 25000 miles on it. If it's defective, it's defective. I would push for getting a free one in return for the defective one.

Since you're taking it off anyways, If I were you, I would use the pages from the FSM that I sent you and take the booster pump/motor off the unit (temporarily) and test it (supply 12V to it like shown in the FSM). See if the pump/motor noise is as loud when not connected to the rest of the unit. I would just do that for my own interest I guess... I wouldn't bother doing it if the guy will swap it for another unit for you for free.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

too bad there was never a follow-up to this issue....