Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

found solution to rear howling problem...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking found solution to rear howling problem...

Just buy a used (elocker) axle

elocker axle

buddy at it on the old old axle

Carnage!

elocker axle being mounted

a thing of beauty!

axle came out of a '97 with around 100k. With a bit of help from a couple toyota enthusiasts, a couple breaks and friends showing up in between, we were able to mount it up and get it rolling in about 3 and a half hours. Still need to wire it up but shouldn't take long. We're just gonna retro it and make it independent of itself so it doesn't depend on what mode the transfer case is in.

We diagnosed the rear axle that came out of my truck and were able to find that it was the ring and pinion causing the howling. There was a lot of up and down and rotational play with it. So to those that have the same problem with howling, try grabbing your driveshaft near the back of the axle and see how much play is in it. If you have a lot it's most likely the ring and pinion.

SO, next on the list is front/rear 4.88s and a front arb

Last edited by JWaldz; 03-06-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by JWaldz
We diagnosed the rear axle that came out of my truck and were able to find that it was the rack and pinion causing the howling. There was a lot of up and down and rotational play with it. So to those that have the same problem with howling, try grabbing your driveshaft near the back of the axle and see how much play is in it. If you have a lot it's most likely the rack and pinion.
I think you mean "ring and pinion"? Nice, I did the same things on mine, but because of rusted through housing, not adding a locker. It took me about 2 weeks, not 3.5 hours (didn't have all the parts on hand, did it by myself).

I need to do the backlash check. I think mine has too much. Hopefully it can last long enough for me to clean up my old rusted diff (turns out it is perfect inside, despite being rusted bad on the outside)

It's great how simple the job really is when you have a full replacement axle and all the right parts.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nelsonmd
I think you mean "ring and pinion"?
haha oops! I was in a rush and it rolled off the brain. Fixed I meant ring and pinion lol

and yes the swap went so easy. Mainly just bolt on/off parts.

Originally Posted by Singtoe
how much did a whole elocker axle set you back?
enough I got it for $500. It was pretty much a 'good timing' thing since my rear was going out and this needed to be done. Would have cost a lot to have a shop do it and to only replace stock parts. This was a better deal.

Last edited by JWaldz; 03-06-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:21 PM

So it was a howling from the rear...even though it sounded like the front huh. I'll check the play on the driveshaft of the '97. I just sold it to a friend...I'd hate for it to blow up on him real soon.

For some reason I still think the howling is coming from the front on it though....
Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 PM

I really did think it was from the front for a while and it took me taking it in to have it looked at to realize it was coming from the back and it became obvious. Yea, I'd just check the play in the driveshaft. There is suppose to be a little play but mine had a lot of up and down play as well which was a dead give away. Bad pinion bearing was the official cause.