Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Finally Installed TJM17 but have a question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally Installed TJM17 but have a question

Hi all, After 6 months finally gave my 4runner an upgrade I've been wishing for. Well, today I installed it with a buddy of mine. Pretty easy. The only thing hard is the rubber tabs and trying to line the bumper up evenly.

Anyways, my question is that I cannot seem to line up the bumper ends perfectly. I mean the right side and the left side. Looking at it from the front of the 4runner. The right side is sticking out and a bit lower from the left side. We have both tried to wiggle it and line it up and it aint working. Is installing the bumper " TRY THE BEST FIT."

Left Right

Sorry for the poor quality shot. Was just too lazy to move the car out of the garage.

Its not really noticieable but its obvious if you really look at it close. More pics to come later.

By the way, Thanks Again Mike, I beleive it only took 5 days to deliver it. LUCKY ME.

thanks, Rod
Old 06-06-2003, 03:18 PM

looks real good, well from those shots anyways
Old 06-06-2003, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

How much weight do you guys estimate this bumper adds?

Subtract the stock bumper (whatever that weighs) and add the new one. What do you get?

Seems like it would be a lot heavier...
Old 06-06-2003, 04:11 PM

I had the same problem with my TJM, it would fit very snug at one side, but the other had a little gap, I tried everything to get it even. I just couldn't get it lined up and just lived with it a little off.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:12 PM

You gotta upgrade the corners
Old 06-06-2003, 05:05 PM

I had the same problem with my TJM, it would fit very snug at one side, but the other had a little gap, I tried everything to get it even. I just couldn't get it lined up and just lived with it a little off.
Yup, Same here. We tried a few times. Loosening then lining it up then tightening. Finally, we gave up. I think the only way to line them up is to enlarge the holes for the bolts on the brackets and even the frame so there will be some room to maneuver/wiggle the bumper into position. Or to use extra washers. I guess I have to live with it for a while. "BEST FIT I GUESS" It sucks because I hate seeing the gap well until I get used to it.

The TJM-17 is much heavier than the stock bumper but did not weigh it though. I cranked up my SAWS another 1/4 to even it out.

Anyways, I think I will wash my 4runner so I can cool off. Been really hot here. Also to take new pics.
Old 06-06-2003, 06:54 PM

man am I jealous! I ordered a T-17 about 2 weeks ago, but they were backordered! :cry: Mike says It won't be in until the end of June! :pat: I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG!!!!! AAAAAA!!!

ok I'm better now

is there a place for a cb on these bumpers? what about aux lights? I figured there were, but not sure. I just wanted to be able to have a tough bumper and a winch
Old 06-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Contributing Member

Glad to see you got your TJM on too! I just put my T15 on a couple days ago. Its definately a ton heavier... I will definately have to get a spacer to hold me over til I get enough bling for some SAWs. It looks almost stock with my Bill/OME setup :cry:
Old 06-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Finally Installed TJM17 but have a question

Originally posted by dok4runner
Anyways, my question is that I cannot seem to line up the bumper ends perfectly.

Its not really noticieable but its obvious if you really look at it close. More pics to come later.

By the way, Thanks Again Mike, I beleive it only took 5 days to deliver it. LUCKY ME.

thanks, Rod
mine is off a bit too but one side is higher than the other, not shifted to one side. I think one of my fenders or light assembly is higher since the wife used the rear of a minivan to detail my front end a couple years ago. but the bumper sits level that's why I think it's the fender that's off. Looks good man. what'd you think about those stupid wings? I think TJM could have gone one step further and welded them up. hel-l, the box was big enough for it that way!
Old 06-06-2003, 10:59 PM

I will definately have to get a spacer to hold me over til I get enough bling for some SAWs. It looks almost stock with my Bill/OME setup
I got the SAWS a while back. I have preplanned by mod syndrome and decided to get my SUSPENSION done first then the heavy stuff. Once you get the dough for the SAWS, you will never regret it.

mine is off a bit too but one side is higher than the other, not shifted to one side. I think one of my fenders or light assembly is higher since the wife used the rear of a minivan to detail my front end a couple years ago. but the bumper sits level that's why I think it's the fender that's off. Looks good man. what'd you think about those stupid wings? I think TJM could have gone one step further and welded them up. hel-l, the box was big enough for it that way!
I guess many of us is getting this issue. Like I said earlier, its not a big deal its just sucks to see it not perfect. Well atleast until it does not bother me anymore or not even notice it.

Yup I totally agree with you. I would have rather had the bumper 1 peiece. The wings should have been welded up and factory leveled by TJM. Anyways, don't get me wrong. I STILL LOVE THE BUMPER.

Last edited by dok4runner; 06-06-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-07-2003, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

I wonder what would happen, safety wise, if you were to mount the bumper to the brackets but instead of putting the brackets both inside or both outside, mount the bumper brackets both on the drivers sides of the brackets on the frame. it's not much but maybe it would shift it over some. but like I said, I don't know how it would effect safety as well as the integrity of the bumper mounts themselves. just a thought.