Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Exhaust set up

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always considered myself an exhaust connoisseur. I had a full "real" dual exhaust system put on my 1992 S-10 at 700 miles on the odo when I was a kid. I used Cherry Bomb glass packs and dual cats (one on each pipe). This truck had the down pipes go under the tranny from the factory so it was easy to cut those and run them straight out the back. Most people thought that thing had a 350 in it due to the nice note that came from it.

I ran a single in dual out Flowmaster 40 on my 1999 TRD Tacoma. I had the exhaust pipes exit to each side behind the rear tires in nearly the stock location. This setup sounded like a Mustang GT but droned a little in the cab.

I've now been considering doing a dual exhaust on my 2002 4Runner. I've talked to a local performance shop that says it's doable and they recommended 2" pipe which I what I was figuring. I'm NA and have no plans for a SC. I've got the ISR mod completed and will be doing the Deck Plate this weekend.

I'd like a nice tone, but just enough that it's obvious it's not stock. I'm older now and can't be riding around in a truck that wakes the dead. I was thinking a SS Magnaflow 24" would do the trick? Single 2.25 in and dual 2" out.

I could maybe go down to 1.75" pipe as well.

Opinions on this?

If I can get my 4Runner to spin the tires on dry pavement when I mash the gas from a dead stop I'd be happy. With the auto tranny, I've never been able to achieve this unless the streets are wet or I'm turning out of a parking lot.

This test is my poor man's dyno.

If these 4runners had the down pipes accessible like my old S-10 I'd do a true dual exhaust system with X pipe and a dual 2" in and 2" out muffler and call it a day, but alas we're not so lucky.

Last edited by Speedy; 01-30-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 3yotys
The best exhaust man in the world is right here in Bay Springs,MS.He built a crossover and Y'd in to the relocated cat(moved forward)new 2.25 to the flow master then Y'd again for the duals over the chunk.Chrome bologna sliced tips and all for $80!

Got pics of the underside?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Speedy
I've always considered myself an exhaust connoisseur. I had a full "real" dual exhaust system put on my 1992 S-10 at 700 miles on the odo when I was a kid. I used Cherry Bomb glass packs and dual cats (one on each pipe). This truck had the down pipes go under the tranny from the factory so it was easy to cut those and run them straight out the back. Most people thought that thing had a 350 in it due to the nice note that came from it.

I ran a single in dual out Flowmaster 40 on my 1999 TRD Tacoma. I had the exhaust pipes exit to each side behind the rear tires in nearly the stock location. This setup sounded like a Mustang GT but droned a little in the cab.

I've now been considering doing a dual exhaust on my 2002 4Runner. I've talked to a local performance shop that says it's doable and they recommended 2" pipe which I what I was figuring. I'm NA and have no plans for a SC. I've got the ISR mod completed and will be doing the Deck Plate this weekend.

I'd like a nice tone, but just enough that it's obvious it's not stock. I'm older now and can't be riding around in a truck that wakes the dead. I was thinking a SS Magnaflow 24" would do the trick? Single 2.25 in and dual 2" out.

I could maybe go down to 1.75" pipe as well.

Opinions on this?

If I can get my 4Runner to spin the tires on dry pavement when I mash the gas from a dead stop I'd be happy. With the auto tranny, I've never been able to achieve this unless the streets are wet or I'm turning out of a parking lot.

This test is my poor man's dyno.

If these 4runners had the down pipes accessible like my old S-10 I'd do a true dual exhaust system with X pipe and a dual 2" in and 2" out muffler and call it a day, but alas we're not so lucky.
Unfortunately, with the auto and no mods to either the engine or the torque converter, you wont be spinning tires from a stop anytime soon. As far as the exhuast setup you mentioned goes, you will most likely loose some gas mileage as well as top end power for sure going down to 1.75 inch exhaust. My truck before the supercharger had 2.25" before and a single in/dual out to 2" and sounded like it was struggling up high a little. The extra build-up of back-pressure will not be as excesssive if you go with the 2" after the muffler and 2.25 before... that is the choice i would make from your two setups listed above. Either way, it will sound nicer than stock and I have the same muffler (24" oval magnaflow SS) and it sounds fantastic as a single.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by TRDatVT
Unfortunately, with the auto and no mods to either the engine or the torque converter, you wont be spinning tires from a stop anytime soon. As far as the exhuast setup you mentioned goes, you will most likely loose some gas mileage as well as top end power for sure going down to 1.75 inch exhaust. My truck before the supercharger had 2.25" before and a single in/dual out to 2" and sounded like it was struggling up high a little. The extra build-up of back-pressure will not be as excesssive if you go with the 2" after the muffler and 2.25 before... that is the choice i would make from your two setups listed above. Either way, it will sound nicer than stock and I have the same muffler (24" oval magnaflow SS) and it sounds fantastic as a single.
Thanks for the heads up. My thinking was if it's 2.25" stock, then dual 2" would probably be ideal.

Do you have any sound clips of your exhaust? The site linked above has it listed but the link was broken when I checked earlier today.

How's the interior resonance? That's my big concern.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:01 AM

Looks awesome!! I have a very similar set-up!!

Last edited by 97Limited; 01-31-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Speedy
Thanks for the heads up. My thinking was if it's 2.25" stock, then dual 2" would probably be ideal.

Do you have any sound clips of your exhaust? The site linked above has it listed but the link was broken when I checked earlier today.

How's the interior resonance? That's my big concern.
I will go ahead and post some sound clips when I get a second sometime this week. The interior resonance is not bad at all... and with the rear window down riding around it sounds nice and mean yet noise level stays relatively low. That setup will sound good and perform to your expectations or better IMO.:bigclap:
Old 01-31-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by TRDatVT
The interior resonance is not bad at all... and with the rear window down riding around it sounds nice and mean yet noise level stays relatively low.
Do you get alot of exhaust fumes comming into your truck with the rear window rolled down???
Old 02-01-2007, 04:11 PM

97limited- Your truck is the reason I decided to run dual pipes straight out!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4unner4life
Here is my plan, I am going to run a vortex cherry bomb muffler that I just got in from Jason Burtman. My question is if I split the pipe after the muffler to make a dual setup will this give me enough back pressure?

Thanks
I have this on my own truck and love it.

More info, video, etc.

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoo...vortex_muffler
Old 03-25-2007, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Daniel, can you post up some pictures from underneath and possibly a sound clip? The install looks great and clean and im dying to hear how it sounds.