Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ever wonder why the 5VZFE has different spark plugs for each bank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
Just a question... Did you get the Split Second FTC? (with the kit from URD) If so, any way ou can upload your maps just so I can take a looksie?
There were never enough maps that I could get to compare and I would have to track down a laptop again that I could use with the FTC if I had to play with the numbers.
Yeah SS FTC from URD. Fuel map or timing map?
Old 05-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah SS FTC from URD. Fuel map or timing map?
Both? Pretty please with goat droppings on top
Old 05-22-2009, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by irunner
Im changing out the spark plugs on my 5VZFE, what do you guys recommend? this thread has me confused, single or double? something basic. thanks
Same here. I am about to drive down to OBX in a week and wanted to do a tune up for the first time since I bought it 2 months ago... I had just planned on buying whatever Autozone recommends, but now I am not so sure. What are the recommended plugs and wires to buy for a 2000 4Runner 4wd?
Old 05-22-2009, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by jaypee784
Same here. I am about to drive down to OBX in a week and wanted to do a tune up for the first time since I bought it 2 months ago... I had just planned on buying whatever Autozone recommends, but now I am not so sure. What are the recommended plugs and wires to buy for a 2000 4Runner 4wd?
If you have a N/A engine, just get the recommended (OEM or NGK) dual ground plugs; same for the wires.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
If you have a N/A engine, just get the recommended (OEM or NGK) dual ground plugs; same for the wires.
Thanks. I am N/A. I am about to go up to Autozone now. They have quite a few NGK options listed, would any of them be ok? I see they have the iridiums for 6.99. Are they worth the extra money?

Edited... removed the link. Realized it was tied to my autozone account, so it would not work for anyone else.

Last edited by jaypee784; 05-22-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaypee784
Thanks. I am N/A. I am about to go up to Autozone now. They have quite a few NGK options listed, would any of them be ok? I see they have the iridiums for 6.99. Are they worth the extra money?

Edited... removed the link. Realized it was tied to my autozone account, so it would not work for anyone else.
If it is NGK, get BKR5EKB-11. That is all you need.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NGK Wires Deffinitly!!

Or Oem but this is reccomended!
Old 10-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Contributing Member

Nope, I don't know any more right now. I mailed Gadget about this and I'm hoping he finds something out before I need to buy plugs again or Denso decides to sell the Iridium Tough plugs in the US.

If not, I may try those NGKs Eddie mentioned that were 2 steps cooler or break down and order the Iridium Tough plugs from Europe.

I barely come on here, but I figure I'd let you know I seem to have fixed my issues. (I was leaning towards the APPS, Accelerator Position Sensor)
I have been doing tune-ups on 5 vehicles right now, and when I got to the 4Runner... After I replaced a couple hoses, I started by doing a carbon cleaning. I SLOWLY sucked about a gallon of water total through the brake booster on two occasions.
Lo and behold, the stumbling is GONE.
I know one vacuum hose was 'fraying' but there was no vacuum leak, and even after the hoses were replaced, it would still stumble at certain RsPM. So it seems that there was a build-up of crap in there.

I used other chemicals afterwards just to make sure things are clean in there.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4-RUNNIN' FREAK
I barely come on here, but I figure I'd let you know I seem to have fixed my issues. (I was leaning towards the APPS, Accelerator Position Sensor)
I have been doing tune-ups on 5 vehicles right now, and when I got to the 4Runner... After I replaced a couple hoses, I started by doing a carbon cleaning. I SLOWLY sucked about a gallon of water total through the brake booster on two occasions.
Lo and behold, the stumbling is GONE.
I know one vacuum hose was 'fraying' but there was no vacuum leak, and even after the hoses were replaced, it would still stumble at certain RsPM. So it seems that there was a build-up of crap in there.

I used other chemicals afterwards just to make sure things are clean in there.
"that would be the TPS throttle position sensor" Sorry OCD
Old 10-04-2009, 11:23 AM

So your lean issues were related to clogged vacuum lines? Please elaborate.

I wonder if the slave igition wires are carbon? They don't have a maintenance interval but if they are carbon, they will break down eventually. I just replaced mine with some sort of three core (copper, carbon and sprial) along with plugs (BKR7 IX I guess I'll have to watch ground wear). Runs a bit smoother I must say.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:35 PM

I would like to try the "IRIDIUM TOUGH" VK22. Too bad you have to order them from Europe. Want to split the shipping with me LOL. If you want something local I don't know.
It's time to change the plugs on my 3.4 so I decided to do some research on the VK22's. I emailed Opie Oils (Dale, I assume this is the European outlet you mentioned previously?) and they no longer ship to the USA due to "Delivery Problems". I called a couple other places, but no luck either.

I guess I'll go with another set of IK22's, or maybe the NGK's Eddie mentioned above and maybe they'll be available next time around.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

I was really hoping they would start selling them here, too bad.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
good info
Old 03-07-2010, 06:21 PM

NGK Iridium Spark Plugs

I may have made a mistake, but today I installed NGK Iridium (BKR5EIX-11) spark plugs, plus Autolite Professional Series wires, into a '98 4Runner Limited V6. These plugs are single point instead of dual. They ran reasonably well in testing afterwards, but didn't wow me. Not that they should. But time will tell, and I'll post an update after a few weeks. I haven't spotted any threads or posts (yet) where these were used, so let me know if you've tried them.

Basically, I bought these after checking out sparkplugs.com and reading various reviews on the Advance Auto, but I wish I had checked this thread - especially the part about reversed polarity. Like others have noted, the previous driver's side OEM's were in decent shape, but the passenger side OEM's were very degraded.

Andy

Update 3/10/10: Actually, I like these NGK Iridiums more and more each day! I can floor it, and accelerate with no hesitation, no missing. They seem to be doing just fine, despite my earlier apprehension. I would buy them again, except I would try to get platinum on the ground. I'm looking forward to pulling them in about a year, just to see how they're doing. Maybe talk myself into a compression test or something...

Last edited by Basic98Runner; 03-10-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: New Info
Old 03-08-2010, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Basic98Runner
I may have made a mistake, but today I installed NGK Iridium (BKR5EIX-11) spark plugs, plus Autolite Professional Series wires, into a '98 4Runner Limited V6. These plugs are single point instead of dual. They ran reasonably well in testing afterwards, but didn't wow me. Not that they should. But time will tell, and I'll post an update after a few weeks. I haven't spotted any threads or posts (yet) where these were used, so let me know if you've tried them.

Basically, I bought these after checking out sparkplugs.com and reading various reviews on the Advance Auto, but I wish I had checked this thread - especially the part about reversed polarity. Like others have noted, the previous driver's side OEM's were in decent shape, but the passenger side OEM's were very degraded.

Andy
I've never used them, but I think the NGK "Laser series" iridium or platinum might be good for our trucks because they have a platinum tipped ground. Like the BKR5EKPB-11 for NA. Or the cooler one (BKR6EKPB-11) for boosted.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So this may be a dumb question but are some of you guys saying that there are different spark plugs for each side of the engine? I am not sure after reading this if this is just for guys with superchargers or what? Is this an issue of plug lifespan or performance. I just went to Toyota to get new plugs for mine (non-supercharged) and they just gave me Denso K16TR11 in a Toyota genuine parts box. All the same nothing different for each side or anything. Tell me more.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by survivorman97
So this may be a dumb question but are some of you guys saying that there are different spark plugs for each side of the engine?...
There were from the factory, or most people have found that the case if they are the first to replace the OEM plugs.

Originally Posted by survivorman97
... I am not sure after reading this if this is just for guys with superchargers or what? Is this an issue of plug lifespan or performance...
Its for NA or blown, we all have the same "wasted spark" ign system. Maybe you need to re-read the thread. Its a lifespan issue. Most are replacing with all the same plugs.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

I've never used them, but I think the NGK "Laser series" iridium or platinum might be good for our trucks because they have a platinum tipped ground. Like the BKR5EKPB-11 for NA. Or the cooler one (BKR6EKPB-11) for boosted.
Just an update, the BKR6EKPB-11 have work out good for me....note I have a SC

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-31-2014 at 12:12 PM.