Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ever heard of a gun safe built into glove box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ever heard of a gun safe built into glove box?

I'm looking for a way to secure my handgun when I have to leave it in the car for brief periods of time when I visit a no-carry zone (e.g., the post office). I've seen various small safes that go under the seats, but what I really want would be something that fits in or replaces the glove box that can act like a gun safe.

Anyone have any ideas?

I realize that anything can be broken into eventually; my objective is to deter smash-and-grab style break-ins, so that if I came up on the break-in in progress, the gun couldn't be used against me. I'm essentially wanting to buy 15 minutes or so before the gun could be accessed by a robber, be it by breaking open the safe, or managing to yank the whole safe out and run off (with the safe still sealed), or by stealing the whole car, safe and all. Obviously, I don't want the gun or car stolen, but if that's what happens, I'd rather the crook couldn't have quick access to a loaded handgun while I might be around.

And if anyone has any experience with putting any other kind of safe into a 4 runner, I'd love to hear about it and see your pictures.

Last edited by pendrag; 04-03-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why do you need to carry a gun with you?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:48 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts

Tuffy makes good stuff, And if you order from the vendor in this thread you should get a discount for being a forum member...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/...oducts-146379/

But to answer your original question, No..
But look around at http://www.tuffyproducts.com

Old 04-03-2009, 12:49 AM

sinneDBTB:
I carry because (a) I have the right to and (b) I believe in protecting myself and my loved ones from harm.

Scuba:
Thanks, I'll check out the link, but I'm looking for something a little more concealed. I'd rather not have my console screaming "Hey, the valuables are in here!"

Last edited by pendrag; 04-03-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:01 AM

Idk how big you handgun is, But this may be more suited towards you..
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-99-02...y-lockbox.aspx

Tuffy has lots of things for lots of different vehicles, You might get lucky and find something you like thats not a 1 vehicle thing...ya know...

Good luck..Update us with whatever you do..

Old 04-03-2009, 01:02 AM

your main worry in your posting is someone taking your gun and using it against you. why do you need to take a gun to the post office? then leave it in your car? loaded? what kind of harm do you and your loved ones face in your travels? not to be confrontational, i am just curious? we dont have these types of issues here. only hunters travel with guns. and cops ofcorse.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:09 AM

Idk where the OP lives, but sinne i see your in canada..
I thought crime and stupid bs stuff happened up there as well...

If it was me, My response would be, YA NEVER know...

Old 04-03-2009, 01:33 AM

I am originally from Modesto California, and I have had guns pulled on me just driving down the road. My cousin had a gun pulled on him at a school park before he was in high school. and a friend of mine got in a fist fight and had one pulled on him. you never know when some moron is going to try something stupid. I don't carry concealed (next to impossible in Cali) but I would like to.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by sinneDBTB
your main worry in your posting is someone taking your gun and using it against you. why do you need to take a gun to the post office? then leave it in your car? loaded? what kind of harm do you and your loved ones face in your travels? not to be confrontational, i am just curious? we dont have these types of issues here. only hunters travel with guns. and cops ofcorse.
I have a carry permit and I carry my gun with me where it is legal to carry. People in America and Canada alike face the potential for crime where ever they go - it's unfortunate, but true. For example, just a few miles from my home, they found two dead Mexicans stuffed into a drain pipe. Ten minutes from my home, an off-duty cop working at a grocery store as hired security was nearly stabbed to death; her replacement was nearly shot by a criminal not a month later. We have hundreds of illegal aliens in our city and the liberal town policy towards vagrants has resulted in a very large homeless/drug-addicted/welfare population in the city center. (And I don't even consider my city to be nearly as bad as, say, Atlanta, Georgia.) My own county sheriff is a strong proponent of a trained, armed citizenry.

There is a saying..."when seconds count, the police are only minutes away." I understand that in Canada, you have been, for the most part, disarmed by your government. Because of your anti-gun culture, you're probably not as familiar with responsible gun ownership, and you're probably not as comfortable with guns as a result. In the US, we're facing the risk of that happening as well. It's a shame, particularly for you, because Canada has its share of violent crime as well, but you're limited in your ability to protect yourselves. I recall a particularly horrible incident last year where a crazy man on a bus sawed off a person's head. Of course, the other riders were disarmed by their government, so they could not do a thing about it. The last thing that I ever want is to be involved in a shooting - or any other violent incident, for that matter - but if violence comes walking into my life or that of my family, I will meet it with measured self-defense.

Now, I've tried to discuss why I feel a need to carry because you asked respectfully. I don't want this thread to be drawn off-topic any more. If you're truly interested in the topic of why people carry, I suggest you visit the forums over at http://www.thehighroad.org/ - there are some excellent members over there who will be able to put the arguments much better than poor sleep-deprived old me.

Last edited by pendrag; 04-03-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:40 AM

http://www.gunsafestore.com/GV1000DLX.htm

you would need 12 inches in depth but this looks like it might work. I don't know how deep you could go without cutting into something like a heater box.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 AM

I just found this: http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-195-1...glove-box.aspx

I'll have to look around there, because it's for a (hold-your-nose) jeep, but that's going to have to wait until tomorrow. I've got to sleep. Looks really expensive, though.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by scuba
Idk where the OP lives, but sinne i see your in canada..
I thought crime and stupid bs stuff happened up there as well...

If it was me, My response would be, YA NEVER know...

crime is everywhere man. that wasnt what i was saying. i wasnt protesting for gun laws or anything. just wondering how bad things are in his hood? maybe he lives near a gun range and gets shot at lots, i dunno. he could live in the boonies where confrontations with wild predators is a regular threat and a hand to hand combat type of weapon is necessary. maybe he lives in a quiet suburb where kids get ahold of there parents weapons and go on rampages at their schools cuz someone made fun of his shoes. i just want to understand the situation. maybe instead of a safe you could get a 50cal mounted on your hood so you can shoot down planes too.

lighten up guys, i dont have a gun.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by pendrag
I have a carry permit and I carry my gun with me where it is legal to carry. People in America and Canada alike face the potential for crime where ever they go - it's unfortunate, but true. For example, just a few miles from my home, they found two dead Mexicans stuffed into a drain pipe. Ten minutes from my home, an off-duty cop working at a grocery store as hired security was nearly stabbed to death; her replacement was nearly shot by a criminal not a month later. We have hundreds of illegal aliens in our city and the liberal town policy towards vagrants has resulted in a very large homeless/drug-addicted/welfare population in the city center. (And I don't even consider my city to be nearly as bad as, say, Atlanta, Georgia.) My own county sheriff is a strong proponent of a trained, armed citizenry.

There is a saying..."when seconds count, the police are only minutes away." I understand that in Canada, you have been, for the most part, disarmed by your government. Because of your anti-gun culture, you're probably not as familiar with responsible gun ownership, and you're probably not as comfortable with guns as a result. In the US, we're facing the risk of that happening as well. It's a shame, particularly for you, because Canada has its share of violent crime as well, but you're limited in your ability to protect yourselves. I recall a particularly horrible incident last year where a crazy man on a bus sawed off a person's head. Of course, the other riders were disarmed by their government, so they could not do a thing about it. The last thing that I ever want is to be involved in a shooting - or any other violent incident, for that matter - but if violence comes walking into my life or that of my family, I will meet it with measured self-defense.

Now, I've tried to discuss why I feel a need to carry because you asked respectfully. I don't want this thread to be drawn off-topic any more. If you're truly interested in the topic of why people carry, I suggest you visit the forums over at http://www.thehighroad.org/ - there are some excellent members over there who will be able to put the arguments much better than poor sleep-deprived old me.

like i said,i was just curious as to why you carry? is all and by "we dont have these types of problems" that was about me not having to worry about where to store my pistol in my car, because of our gun laws. not about the threat of violence being any worse in the us than canada. crazy stuff happens everywhere and i just wanted to know what your situation happened to be... you could be a cop or military... sorry to strike a nerve. i was kidding around in the last one.

look here a peace offering, its a link to a glove box gun safe company
http://www.center-of-mass.com/
Old 04-03-2009, 04:31 AM

tuffy makes crazy strong stuff had that same console in my CJ...They are overbuilt
Old 04-03-2009, 05:10 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wheel4real
tuffy makes crazy strong stuff had that same console in my CJ...They are overbuilt
Tuffy stuff is expensive. You can modify an .50 cal or 5.56mm ammo can for dirt cheap that will serve the same purpose to secure your valuables.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:18 AM

SinneDBTB, sorry but they still will not let us yanks mount .50's to our roofs. But, if they would, I would be first in line at the gun store. As the old saying goes, Happiness is a belt fed weapon. Anybody that's ever fired one knows that it's true
Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 AM

haha, That reminds me of falling asleep in the 4runner yesterday, to the sweet sounds of automatic weapons...

Old 04-03-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by sinneDBTB
like i said,i was just curious as to why you carry? is all and by "we dont have these types of problems" that was about me not having to worry about where to store my pistol in my car, because of our gun laws. not about the threat of violence being any worse in the us than canada. crazy stuff happens everywhere and i just wanted to know what your situation happened to be... you could be a cop or military... sorry to strike a nerve. i was kidding around in the last one.
You didn't really strike a nerve; we just have our share down here of rabid anti-gun nuts who are fighting to strip us of our right to bear arms, so I was just expecting to have to deal with yet another rant against guns.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by scuba

Tuffy makes good stuff, And if you order from the vendor in this thread you should get a discount for being a forum member...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f37/...oducts-146379/

But to answer your original question, No..
But look around at http://www.tuffyproducts.com

Those Tuffy boxes look really nice! Anyone mount one in a 3rd gen 4Runner?

I don't need to carry a gun, but I wouldn't mind having a beefed up center console for other stuff like my wallet, GPS, and ipod.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dport
Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
I need this bumper sticker.

Quick Reply: Ever heard of a gun safe built into glove box?