Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Euro vs. DOT approved Hella Conversion Headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euro vs. DOT approved Hella Conversion Headlamps

What is the major difference between the DOT approved and Euro made Hella H4 conversion headlamps. Is the quality more questionable in one compared to the other?

For those who have them, which way did you go?
Old 12-03-2004, 08:13 AM

I think the Euro are nippleless...
Old 12-03-2004, 08:21 AM

The only big difference is the aiming nipples? as mentioned above. The DOT approved have them the Euro don't. If you go with them put some clear stone guards on them. I am having a difficult time finding single replacements up here though. Some places say they have been discontinued and I have to buy another set. Don't really want to so if you know where i can order some singles let me know
Old 12-03-2004, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Babypig
Some places say they have been discontinued and I have to buy another set. Don't really want to so if you know where i can order some singles let me know
Try www.rallylights.com (susquehanna motorsports)
Old 12-03-2004, 10:52 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
It's common for european spec lights to actually have a better beam pattern and offer more visibility (The euro spec is a more demanding standard.) Just be sure you don't accidently order RHD lights, the pattern will blind oncoming motorists... The other thing to watch for is most euro spec bulbs are slightly different from US spec bulbs, and if interchanged will affect the light focus in the lens. (This is one of the real reasons why many of those aftermarket blue "HID" colored bulbs don't work well...)

The following is from Transport Canada (equiv to US DOT) info:

Canada, but not the US, also permits European headlamps as original equipment on new vehicles, and the provinces allow them as replacement equipment. Their lenses and bulbs are marked " H1", "H2", "H3" or "H4" and letter "E" in a circle. These bulbs are not interchangeable with North American bulbs with one exception: The North American HB2 is essentially identical to a European H4, but the HB2 has tighter tolerances on the base fit and filament location dimensions so that it can be used in a mechanically-aimable headlamp. A bulb that is marked only H4 (not HB2) is not intended for use in a headlamp marked HB2 because the wider tolerances may mis-direct the beam pattern. On the other hand, because of its tighter tolerances, the HB2 is quite satisfactory when used in an H4 headlamp.

Most headlamps have one bulb with two filaments that are activated separately to produce the low and high beams. However, many vehicles have headlamps with side-by-side low and high beam reflectors and an individual bulb for each beam. Low and high beam bulb types are usually different. The appropriate bulb type code must appear on the lens directly in front of the reflector in which the bulb is mounted.

Headlamp Aiming Marks on Mechanically-aimable Replaceable Bulb Headlamps

Mechanically-aimable headlamps are designed to be aimed with a mechanical aiming machine that attaches by suction to the face of the headlamp. Three projections molded into the lens, called "aiming pads", align the aiming machine accurately with the axis of the headlamp.

Many vehicles have sloped, aerodynamic headlamps that are mechanically aimable. Service garages must use a special adjustable adapter with the aiming machine to aim such headlamps. CMVSS 108 requires the lenses of such headlamps to be marked with two numbers needed to adjust the adapter properly. These numbers will be located adjacent to the aiming pads or near the edge of the lens.

The following types of headlamps are not marked with mechanical aimer adjuster settings because their lenses are vertical:

sealed beam headlamps with aiming pads
small rectangular sealed beam headlamps with steel aiming rings
a small number of replaceable bulb headlamps with vertical lenses that are vertical and perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle.
The following types of headlamps are also not marked with mechanical aimer adjuster settings:

headlamps incorporating on-board aimers (bubble levels and indicator scales)
headlamps that are designed to be aimed visually or optically, including European H1 through H4 headlamps.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
The other thing to watch for is most euro spec bulbs are slightly different from US spec bulbs, and if interchanged will affect the light focus in the lens. (This is one of the real reasons why many of those aftermarket blue "HID" colored bulbs don't work well...)
Will that work in reverse...will Euro spec bulbs work with US housings properly? I thought I read somewhere that the Euro housings were stronger than the US ones and will not crack as easy. Any truth to that?

What it boils down to:
I am trying to decide whether to buy Euro spec h4 kit and have it shipped, or go down to my local 4x4 shop and pick up the US spec kit today.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:33 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Dunno, has housings cracking been a big problem for you?...
Old 12-03-2004, 12:54 PM

cracked glass, not of late, no. I was more just curious as to why some go for the Euro and some the US spec, when they are the same...one minus a nippple.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

I got my H4 housings at a VW shop. They are a "Matrix" brand? They have a way better beam pattern then my old sealesd beams. I also put in some 55/100W bulbs, they have the standard low beam wattage but a much brighter high beam.
Old 12-03-2004, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Babypig
The only big difference is the aiming nipples? as mentioned above. The DOT approved have them the Euro don't. If you go with them put some clear stone guards on them. I am having a difficult time finding single replacements up here though. Some places say they have been discontinued and I have to buy another set. Don't really want to so if you know where i can order some singles let me know
Performanceproducts.com had em individually last time I looked
Old 12-03-2004, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Dunno, has housings cracking been a big problem for you?...
Yep. Gone through 3 of them in the last year.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:23 AM

Went to my local dealer on Friday and picked up a set of hells (us spec) lamps for $35 each. Put them in the same night and DAMN what a difference. Didn't feel like waiting for euro spec if ordering off internet. I'll now get the bulbs from daniel stern and do the harness upgrade later. I am just so happy now that I can actually see when it rains.

They also had the IPF version for $50 each. I don't think I liked the all clear face of them. Look alittle blingy for my tastes. plus the fact that you would be outr 50 bux each time one of yer lights cracked. That shop tried to sell me on those but I couldn't justify the extra $30 for something that "appearantly" had "slightly" better light output for whatever reason the sales guy gave me.