Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

engine dies after WOT

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine dies after WOT

I pulled out into traffic this morning and had to stand on it. when I slowed down and pressed the clutch the engine died. when I released the clutch (still in gear) the engine started again, but didn't want to idle without some skinny pedal help.

2 min later, all seems well, it idles again, runs and drives fine.

after running some errands, I figured I'd give it another go just to make sure it wasn't some weird fluke. so I verified my roadway was clear, and went WOT again, spun it up to about 5k rpm then pressed in the clutch. again, the motor died, and wouldn't idle without some help, when I pulled up to the stoplight, it stopped running all together, and only started with the accelerator pedal mashed. after that restart, no problems running or idling.

I haven't had any issues with this truck until just now.

the truck in question is a 2000 4runner(CALI emissions), 5speed, 4X4, about 165k miles, 3.4litre, TRD gen II supercharger, TRD 7th injector, 5"deckplate, and ISR mod.

this same problem(somewhat, no WOT, just died when stopped at a light) showed itself last week immediately after the replacement of the aged A/F sensor, and cleaning of the MAF, with computer reset. it always has run a little weird for a couple miles after a battery pull/computer reset, so I didn't think anything of it.

has my weak sauce toyota fueling system finally showed its face? or is this just something that the computer needs more time to learn?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:16 AM

the same thing happend to me in my dads taco but its an automatic and i was free reving (with no exhaust ) and it just died but ran fine when i started it back up. it sounds like you may be running to rich but i could be wrong.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:28 AM

I have a similar issue. It been bugging me for several years now, but never really found the time to look into it. My engine would die after going up a hill, where I would open up the throttle for a longer period of time. When it stalled it would start right up as if nothing really happened.

I have tried cleaning the IAC, It seemed to reduce the frequency of the problem quite a bit. The problem use to plaque me in town, but now I only really see it when I drive for a while on the highway and come to stop.

I've been wanting to try cleaning the IAC again and maybe even try testing/replacing the TPS.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 92 4Runner. and It ended up being the TPS ( Throttle Position Sensor )
Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 AM

occasionally it has kicked the TPS check engine light. course when I replaced it with a NAPA unit, the light kicked immediately, and the truck refused to run on its own at all.

maybe its time to swap that too. I assume toyota is best for that? or does someone have the part numbers for it that will actually work?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would just do your basic tune up and see if it improves at all. Best to start simple and a tune up is always a good idea anyways.

Do you get a CEL while the problem is going on?
Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 PM

no CEL when its happening, other than every light on the dash coming on due to the stalled motor, no code set.

and by basic tune what do you mean?

I figure I'll need plugs soon, MAF just cleaned, air filter cleaned, wires......anything else I'm missing?

oh, and whats the super sweet set up for plugs as of late? I know I'm supposed to go colder for the supercharger, but I cant find any "colder" version of the 2 electrode plugs we're supposed to use, and any spark plug searches usually net 20+ page discussions with no real answers.

Last edited by fullmann; 07-10-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By tune up i usually do the whole nine yards.

Fuel filter, Air filter, seafoam treatment, oil change, sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, clean MAF and i am surr there are a few things i am forgetting.

I think the IK22 plugs are dual electrodes and the plugs i was running with my supercharger.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
By tune up i usually do the whole nine yards.

Fuel filter, Air filter, seafoam treatment, oil change, sparkplugs, sparkplug wires, clean MAF and i am surr there are a few things i am forgetting.

I think the IK22 plugs are dual electrodes and the plugs i was running with my supercharger.
Mine and my dad's 4runners had the same problem. I did wires/boots, spark plugs, cleaned air filter and seafoam on both and they haven't acted up since.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:03 PM

I don't know about the cutting out issue after WOT , but you do not have a 2000 4runner with Cali emissions. The last year for a stick shift 4runner in California was 1999, the 5 speed lived one more year as a Federal Emission until being dropped all together. Toyota (and all other car manufactures for that matter) had issues getting manual transmission cars/ SUV to pass emission standards because of the fluctuation in RPM's something less prevalent in the Auto's.

Originally Posted by fullmann
I

the truck in question is a 2000 4runner(CALI emissions), 5speed, 4X4, about 165k miles, 3.4litre, TRD gen II supercharger, TRD 7th injector, 5"deckplate, and ISR mod.

has my weak sauce toyota fueling system finally showed its face? or is this just something that the computer needs more time to learn?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Rogers
I don't know about the cutting out issue after WOT , but you do not have a 2000 4runner with Cali emissions. The last year for a stick shift 4runner in California was 1999, the 5 speed lived one more year as a Federal Emission until being dropped all together. Toyota (and all other car manufactures for that matter) had issues getting manual transmission cars/ SUV to pass emission standards because of the fluctuation in RPM's something less prevalent in the Auto's.
I ASSURE you that I do in fact have a 2000 4runner, 5 speed with Cali emissions. Based on the 6/00 born on date, the crappy dual cat set up, A/F and O2, as well as the 3 pedals on the floor. but thats neither here nor there.

think its time to change the plugs anyway, may as well do wires, and probably the TPS.

thanks all for the suggestions.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:10 PM

I had the same problem on my 96 3.4L 4runner. I replaced the sparkplugs + wires and haven't had a problem since.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:30 AM

if suspect TPS. check the voltage on it. idle @0.5 volt and WOT @ 5volts
Old 07-17-2011, 05:58 AM

anywhere in particular to get a good TPS? or any particular manufacturer to go with?

the napa one I tried a couple months ago was a no go right from the first key turn.