Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

electrical problems! ACK

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2002, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question electrical problems! ACK

OK, when i looked at my 94 4runner before buying, none of the lights on the inside worked, nor the radio. The dealer (not a toyota dealer, jsut aused car dealer) took a look at it, the fuse the radio was on kept poping, they said the switch to my lights just above the rearview mirror was fried and that was what was causing the short, so the un plugged it somewhere they said, and replaced the radio, cuz i guess that was shot too. Anyway, i was thinking about trying to fix it, but it would be a long process that would include pulling the ceiling pannels down or whatever... i was wondering if anyone else had a problem similar to this, or if they had taken those pannels off and what it would take. strange thing is, the rear light, the one back by the back tailgate door still works.

also, just last weekend, my rear window stopped going up with the key, if i get in and turn my car on, the inside switch works up and down, but with the key, it will only go down. at first i thought it might have something to do with the cold, but it was real warm here the other day and i tried it and it still doesnt work... and help on these topics would be greatly appreciated.

thanx,
rory
Old 11-27-2002, 11:25 AM

thanx for nothin guys! just kidding, without you i wouldnt have done the cool blue signal lights while i had everything torn apart i thought you guys might wanna see how much of my car i had torn apart...
Attached Thumbnails electrical problems! ACK-dashaprt.jpg  
Old 11-27-2002, 11:41 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Dang, you really tore into that dash

Sorry, I don't have the answers for your electrical stuff.
Sounds like a lot of work.
Old 11-27-2002, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Wow you did tear into that thing. I have had mine close to that once or twice in my gauge escapades. Gotta do it partially again tomorow. So did you ever get your problem fixed that you originally started out to do?
Old 11-27-2002, 12:18 PM

yeah, all my interior dome lights and the cargo light works now drop out kid mechanic from the dealer, reversed some wires and had something shorted (took me 4 hours to figure it all out with out a handy volt-ohmeter)

Today i get to crack open my tailgate door and figure out why i t wont roll up with the key... any help on that topic would still be appreciated
Old 11-27-2002, 12:26 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have some rear window scans here I did from my factory service manual several months ago.
http://www.pnw4runners.net/tech/rear_window_2nd_gen/
Corey
Old 11-27-2002, 12:33 PM

OOO! muchas gracias corey! wow, i dont know how in depth my problem is, but however deep its is, this will help greatly! thanx once again!
Old 11-27-2002, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: window problem

I think I can help you with the window problem. It's got to be either the key switch or the wiring. The wiring is easy to get to, so find where it comes out of the tailgate & into the body. Peel back the protective covering(s) and examine the wires. Some less than reputable dealers and mechanics have been known to cut a wire or partialy cut one so that it will corrode and break a few months later. This can also happen on its own if the wires weren't wrapped up tightly. If that isn't the problem, dig into the tailgate and check out the switch. Make sure all of the connections are tight. Remove the switch if possible and clean thouroughly. Put a multi-meter on it and see if all of the contacts are made with the key in the different positions. Good luck.