Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

electric fans

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electric fans

Just have to announce I got the electric fans in. However mentioned them to me in the first place, thank you. I put the fans in today and finished on the wiring except for the connection to the a/c switch. I don't use a/c around here anyways, so I will connect that later, but the fans do really nice. Less sound to deal with when starting up, and they still do a good job cooling down when you need it. Now I can remount the radiator after having to drop it a few inches when I did the body lift. It will be nice knowing my radiator won't be the lowest part on the front of my truck . Anyways, just had to mention this OK? Anyone curious about switching to electric fans, there are plenty of people on the forum here that now how to do this set-up.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats man!

I didn't do the A/C switch either... I may later, but by the time I got the basics done my hands were pretty cold and it was hard to move 'em.

For those folks reading that don't know, the Flex-a-lite control module allows for the connection of a signal wire from your A/C so that the fans turn on anytime that the A/C compressor clutch is engaged. The reason is to be sure sur that there's air moving through the A/C condensor coils (in front of the radiator) which will provide cool (or cooler) air when sitting stopped with the engine running.

It's a decent idea, and considering how much air these fans move, will work a LOT better than the stock fan.

One/two thing(s) against it though... If your driving pattern is basically a lot of moving, then you could end up running the fans a lot more than necessary. As well, remember that having the defroster on will automatically engage the A/C if you have it in order to dry the air. So that would kick the fans on as well.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:27 PM

I am going to have to pull out the truck bible (haynes automotive guide) for my truck and see how the a/c button is setup. Is there a way to wire the a/c switch for the fans just to the button, so that the defroster function doesn't turn on the fans automatically, but the normal a/c will?
Old 02-17-2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by 2wheeler97
I am going to have to pull out the truck bible (haynes automotive guide) for my truck and see how the a/c button is setup. Is there a way to wire the a/c switch for the fans just to the button, so that the defroster function doesn't turn on the fans automatically, but the normal a/c will?
Honestly, I haven't looked at it that close. I have my Haynes right here, but I've had mixed results using it to work through the electrical system. So (honestly) it's not worth my looking at it to give you "their" answer.

The implication in the fan instructions is that they want you to Y into the 12v source for the compressor clutch and use that as the alternate trigger for the fan control module. That of course means that the fans would come on no matter what triggered the clutch.

On my '96, the vent selector control is mechanical (I think it's the same way on your '97) so tapping into the difference between the dash A/C switch being ON and the vent selector being in the DEFROST position could be tricky.

A side note... If you DO Y into the compressor clutch 12v, then that means that you'll have to run a wire from the "engine side" of the install to the "fan side". That means either crossing the path of the belts and the fans, or going down the block to the firewall, across to a fender, up the fender well, and over to the control module. Than can be a bit ugly cosmetically.

With me being up in the PNW, I dun't know that I'm gonna much worry about doing it. You being down in CA, will probably worry about it more.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:46 AM

Depending on what year and model truck or suv you have, you can run the wire from the control box (mine is mounted just under the battery) drop it down to the frame, run it on top of the cross-member, and then up to the a/c. On my cross member there are holes on the top of it, a few of them side by side, so I will just zip tie the wires to that when I run the a/c, if I run it that way.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:40 PM

On my install of the FLX-210 I ran the wire for the AC control up to the fuse box and used a mini fuse tap to wire the connection to the AC fuse. My fan comes on with the A/C and it was a very easy install.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:05 PM

I just placed my order with Summit for my fans. I checked around for the last couple of days and they seemed to have the best price. Checker Autoparts was a couple of bux cheaper but didn't carry the blue ones. I opted for the FLX-210B for mine. These are the blue ones so they match engine compartment/accesories.

Hey Mr trangk:

You stated you wired the a/c wire to your fuse box. The one under the dash or the one in the engine compartmet nest to the battery? Do you have any pics of it??

Thanks!

Paul :fireman:
Old 02-18-2003, 07:17 PM

pfdaxe:

I wired it to the one in the engine compartment ... I'll try and get a pic tommorrow (need to get the digital camera back from my friend)

How much extra was the blue fan? I didn't even know they had other colors with the 210 model
Old 02-18-2003, 07:37 PM
Away

Trangk, they all kinds of designer colors!

Check out these lovely pics:

I bought a plain black one from Baxter Auto parts for $233.99 They stock them and it was right down the street from me...

Dr. Z
Old 02-18-2003, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by trangk
How much extra was the blue fan? I didn't even know they had other colors with the 210 model
Summit only stocks the fan in Black and Blue, but it also comes in Red and Yellow. You can order the alternate colors (i.e., Blue, Red and Yellow) and they run an extra $4.00.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:21 PM

ARGH!

Wish I knew about the red ones and that they aren't that much more expensive. I've seen the colored ones for the Integra/Civic/etc and they always cost SOOO much more. There's just so much stuff in Summit's catalog

Oh well maybe next time
Old 02-23-2003, 07:17 PM

Not sure if you still need this pfdaxe, but I finally got my camera back from my friend.

Here is how I hooked my AC relay for the fan up. I used a mini fuse tap (available at any auto part store for about $6.00). It has a place for the original fuse and a new fuse for the item you're hooking into it. These things are really nice ...

Old 02-23-2003, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the pics!

I installed my new grill and installed the fans today. I haven't driven it yet though. I will probably connect to the a/c soon. I looked in my fuse box under the hood and saw the a/c fuse in there. It looks different than your box though(mines a '00). I'll just throw a meter on it and see what side I need to connect to.

Once I drive it I'll figure out where I need to set the t-stat on the control unit. For now, I have it set in the middle(normal)to see how that works.

Paul:fireman:
Old 02-23-2003, 07:54 PM

Yeah my 4Runner is a 98 4cycl so the fusebox is different (forgot to mention that). Once you figure out how to fuse your fan though, just get a fuse tap and you'll be all set.

Got any pics of your new grille?
Old 02-24-2003, 03:34 AM

I'll have pics soon. I finished the grill(at least my part)and now have to take it to the paint shop. I'll also take some pics of my "blue" fans

paul
Old 07-18-2003, 07:50 PM

So what's the main reason for switching from the stock fan to the electrics? Is there a power gain?

Chris
Old 07-18-2003, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's supposed to be. The clutch driven fan contributes to "parasitic" power loss. Not sure how heavy the 3G fan is, but basically the fan is being turned by the engine ALL the time - extra resistance. The electric fans come on when the thermostat says (adjustable), plus you can shut it off for water crossings.

Is it documented that it helps provide more power? Not that I've seen anywhere. But, the theory seems pretty sound to me.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Cebby
Not sure how heavy the 3G fan is...
Mine was about 7 pounds, and you also hve to include a bit more for the drag of the blades cutting through the air.

But, the theory seems pretty sound to me. [/B]
Yeup... and remember that this is power that's being robbed right at the crankshaft.

The major thing that you feel with the mechanical fan gone is better throttle response since you're reducing the mass that the engine has to push in order to spin up.