Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dual exhaust? What's the advantage vs single

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 05:59 AM
Ant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual exhaust? What's the advantage vs single

Is it just a cosmetic thing or is there a performance gain from having dual vs single?
Old 09-26-2003, 06:03 AM
Contributing Member

A little less backpressure but would be more of an advantage on a boosted engine otherwise the performance gain on an NA motor might be cancelled out by the extra weight of the extra piping.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:08 AM
Ant

Originally posted by X-AWDriver
A little less backpressure but would be more of an advantage on a boosted engine otherwise the performance gain on an NA motor might be cancelled out by the extra weight of the extra piping.
So keeping mine single (6cyl) would be the best way to go? I'm having a Flowmaster installed tomorrow and am trying to decide single vs dual.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A couple of folks here have done the dual setup, but it can be a pain on our trucks because of the spare being there. A lot of times it'll boil down to how much work the shop wants to do with getting things bent and routed.

I wanted to go dual, but I let the shop talk me out of it. I ended up just going with a single 3" pipe coming out of the muffler and ended up quite happy.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Exhaust is a very tricky thing to tune on NA motors. Go too big, and you lose power (especially in the low end). Stay with stock on a semi-built motor, and lose your performance potential.

A common misconception is that bigger piping with little or no backpressure is best. Wrong.

Exhaust can have the same effect as headers, which is properly scavenging exhaust gasses. So on a NA 5VZ I recommend staying with the stock pipe diameter, and going with a nice high flow muffler. Dual exhaust is mostly cosmetic, especially if it is post muffler (one in two out). Proper tuning is crucial.

Now if you are Turbo'd, throw everything I said out the window.

SC'd is also finicky. You want some backpress with a SC on the 5VZ.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Then go single and have a dummy pipe put on the other side like I did:

More pics and sounds of exhaust on my page.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:04 AM

Ok, I think we have to be more specific. Are we talking about a TRUE dual exhaust from the each cylinder bank or just a muffler with two outlets???

IMO, a true dual exaust with a pipe between the two to equalize the pressure would be the best setup. I don't see how a muffler with one inlet and two outlet would be better than one outlet.

On a s/c engine, trd headers seem small since I think the size is intended to match the stock 2 1/4 cat... better suited for a n/a engine. I would love to design my own crossover with downey's that would get in a complete 3 inch cat/muffler/ tailpipe . We need a O2 simulator that would prevent any codes. Haven't heard of one Sim that works yet...

Last edited by juicyfruity; 09-26-2003 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jason B
Then go single and have a dummy pipe put on the other side like I did:

More pics and sounds of exhaust on my page.
A dummy pipe? Boy,if you were on a car board you would get a heap of ˟˟˟˟.

"Rice,rice baby"
Old 09-26-2003, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

That's why I love this board. People are mature on here, or maybe it's just the character of 4runner owners.

The only reason it's a dummy is because I didn't want to remove my spare tire. The shop here would not do it without removing the spare. Others have tried on 3rd gens to run duals and get metal to metal clanking when hitting bumps - no room, with spare in place. It was all planned to have two pipes, and after it didn't fit, my guy held up the 2nd and it looked so damn good it had to stay. This is one of my favorite mods and it gives a great balance on a 3rd gen with a hitch.

A customer of mine who did the same exact setup here:

Last edited by Jason B; 09-26-2003 at 07:45 AM.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:15 AM
Ant

Originally posted by juicyfruity
Ok, I think we have to be more specific. Are we talking about a TRUE dual exhaust from the each cylinder bank or just a muffler with two outlets???

IMO, a true dual exaust with a pipe between the two to equalize the pressure would be the best setup. I don't see how a muffler with one inlet and two outlet would be better than one outlet.

On a s/c engine, trd headers seem small since I think the size is intended to match the stock 2 1/4 cat... better suited for a n/a engine. I would love to design my own crossover with downey's that would get in a complete 3 inch cat/muffler/ tailpipe . We need a O2 simulator that would prevent any codes. Haven't heard of one Sim that works yet...
a muffler with 2 outlets