Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Detroit Locker & Daily Driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detroit Locker & Daily Driving

Hi,

I recently had a Detroit Locker installed in my 1998 4Runner. Previous to the locker, I tried a Detroit TrueTrac which worked great until the side gear pinions started to eat away at the hub case.

The Detroit Locker has some strange operating characteristics compared to the truetrac or a standard posi unit.

I am daily driving with the locker and it is not causing any problems but if you decide to go this way, you will notice some differences.

Below is a summary of what I am experiencing (and is considered normal for a Detroit Locker) See the video for a visual of the actual condition.

* Light acceleration around a corner will cause the inside wheel to break loose. Once it catches up with the speed of the outside wheel, it will lock up..and u go sideways if applying enough power ;-0

* It clunks slightly when transitioning from no load to load.. or load to no load (drivetrain load)

* Slight steering impact as the locker is trying to apply power to both wheels as you travel down even a straight road. Best way to describe this is to compare to driving along and encountering a moderate side wind which causes the truck to buck slightly.

Over all, I am very happy with the Detroit Locker, once you understand and compensate for the daily driving annoyances the thing becomes very likeable !!

http://youtu.be/iNGnNHPzipU
Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So how did the truetrac compare, none of these problems but still held the power fine to both tires? I am thinking about getting a LSD/locker of some type for my truck but not sure on both install cost or if it will do what i want.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:13 PM

The Truetrac did not exhibit any of the "annoyances" that I discuss and show in the locker video. It applied power to both wheels with no problem until it broke.

I wrote up a small article on my webpage explaining why it failed.. here is the link: CLICK HERE

Jeff

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
So how did the truetrac compare, none of these problems but still held the power fine to both tires? I am thinking about getting a LSD/locker of some type for my truck but not sure on both install cost or if it will do what i want.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Thats good to hear, how much was it to have it installed on your truck? Cheapest i have found was $400 which seems kinda high if i bring in the 3rd member.

Not sure i want to try to backlash this myself.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:40 PM

Yea.. the backlash and install looked to messy for me to deal with. I paid $450 for the install.

Thats good to hear, how much was it to have it installed on your truck? Cheapest i have found was $400 which seems kinda high if i bring in the 3rd member.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jeff B. in Michigan
Yea.. the backlash and install looked to messy for me to deal with. I paid $450 for the install.
Was it worth the $900?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:53 PM

For me it was ... otherwise I would not have done it ;-)

Mind you.. I had the truetrac installed for around same price... then removed and re-installed open diffie.. so x2 the cost ;-(

Was it worth the $900?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I want to do it just wish i could find a place to install it for less. Just paid for the IPT transmission mods today so that will be taken care of. Leaving the rear end as the last big item on the to do list without moving onto a turbo.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:00 AM

You wanna talk to Zuk.

https://www.yotatech.com/members/3506.html

http://www.gearinstalls.com/
Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 AM

What do you want it for, and what sort of driving do you plan to do? In a very general way, an LSD is most appropriate on pavement and snow. Locker more appropriate off road. That's a general statement though - people run LSDs for their off-road needs and vice-versa. An LSD works well for putting down the power to the pavement both in a straight line and on curves (where a locker works against your lateral grip). Dirt roads the same way. But off road, if you get one wheel off the ground or at least extremely light the LSD doesn't help you at all without a lot of finess.

Last edited by GV27; 11-09-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by GV27
It looks like he installs gears? Can't really tell what he does on that website.

Originally Posted by GV27
What do you want it for, and what sort of driving do you plan to do? In a very general way, an LSD is most appropriate on pavement and snow. Locker more appropriate off road. That's a general statement though - people run LSDs for their off-road needs and vice-versa. An LSD works well for putting down the power to the pavement both in a straight line and on curves (where a locker works against your lateral grip). Dirt roads the same way. But off road, if you get one wheel off the ground or at least extremely light the LSD doesn't help you at all without a lot of finess.
Pretty sure I want an LSD as it will mainly be for street use but a locker is better for drag racing usually so thats where the confusion comes from. It will also see some time offroad as well.

I am thinking the truetrac is what i want most likely.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:55 AM

LOL - that's what I said when somebody first told me "talk to Zuk". Send him a PM and he will hit you back with info on pricing, shipping, turnaround, etc. It was pretty cheap last time I talked to him. And you know'll it'll be done right. All of those write-ups on his site are customer installs - a fairly high percentage I would assume from Yotatech members.

Yeah, it's common for a locker to be used in drag racing. Strip-only machines often have spools. If you're only going in a straight line you don't really need any differential action at all! But going around corners you need at least some differential action (though there are some folks on here driving spools around on the street, I think) and if you want to go quickly through a corner you really want to allow both wheels to go at their own pace and have a nice smooth LSD action to keep the inside wheel from just spinning up when you get on the gas. A True-Trac will transfer plenty of torque across the axle for your truck to put the power to the pavement, but will be vice-free and somewhat helpful off-road as well.

I'm not saying a locker won't work on the street or that lots of people aren't happy running them (especially on the way home from the first time they three-wheel their way through a previously impassable spot off-road!) just that if you're looking for street performance, I think the LSD is the way yo go.

edit: OTOH, it's a truck and it'll never go around corners all THAT well, and there are a lot of straight roads in Texas.......

Last edited by GV27; 11-09-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

LOL, yeah I am pretty much set on the truetrac myself but not sure if my plans for building a 1000whp drag sleeper are going to come about anytime soon or not so kinda on the fence. Although i bet I need some American axles/drivetain parts at that power level anyways.

Making the power is easy, putting it to the ground without breaking or spinning is the hard part.