Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Delphi Skyfi install

Old 11-18-2003, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delphi Skyfi install

So I finally got around to installing my Delphi Skyfi last night, and I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out.

I plan to hardwire the adapter behind the dash when I install my CB, but it's barely noticeable now plugged into one of the 2 aux 12v behind the unit.

More pictures are Here

BB

Last edited by bobzemuda; 11-19-2003 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:14 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good!

I had my Sirius antenna mounted where yours is, but the hatch shorted out the wire. So I ended up installing it above the windshield..
Old 11-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

How did the hatch short out the antenna if you don't mind my asking?

I took it through the grommet for the middle break light, down the left side rear, under the back carpet, down the door sills of the rear and front doors, and under the drivers side carpet.

Did you take it through the grommet, or did you shut the door on the cable against the foam padding?

BB
Old 11-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

I took it through the gromet, along the roof and down the area where the seat belt is at. The problem is when I opened the rear hatch. When it was up all the way, the hatch was pinching the wire (the area between the gromet and outside).

Does that make sense? Its kinda hard to explain..
Old 11-18-2003, 12:47 PM

Looks good.........what the hell is it?
Old 11-18-2003, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
Looks good.........what the hell is it?
Its a flux capicator!!

XM radio receiver. (satelite radio)

Last edited by SLC Punk; 11-18-2003 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

I can see where it would pinch.

The XM antenna has some doubling up of the wire coating for the first few inches.

Are the Sirius antennas like that also?

I really like this spot better, and might just devise some kind of bump stop so the hatch stops just shy of closing all the way and pinching the cable.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

The Sirius antenna has a tail but that part stays on the outside of the vehicle. So it was just the wire that was pinching..
Old 11-18-2003, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

I routed mine through the grommet, along the ceiling above the window and down the seatbelt pillar under the carpet to the sirius receiver under the driver seat. but then again, I have a receiver controlled by the deck, not the standalone unit like yours. my wires don't get peenched by the tailgate though.

Last edited by keisur; 11-18-2003 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SLC Punk
The Sirius antenna has a tail but that part stays on the outside of the vehicle. So it was just the wire that was pinching..
I ran my tail down into the crevis between the body and tailgate so the wires wouldn't show. my rear has been wrecked and the tailgate replaced once so I'm sure it is adjusted a little differently giving me more room to not pinch. you could adjust the in/out position to prevent pinching by adjusting the two hinges at the top.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:45 PM

Was it very hard to install, and how long did it take you?
Old 11-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

It wasn't hard to install at all. You obviously have to be comfortable taking a lot of your car apart.

I used a pro.fit ultimount and mounted it on the ledge under the ashtray. As I don't smoke, I don't need the ashtray and just took it out and ran the wires up through the holes behind that.

My Premier head unit has a aux in, so I just ran a 1/8 mini to the aux in adapter of the head unit.

The hardest part was deciding exactly at what angle to mount the ultimount. Not hard really, but a one shot deal.

The most time consuming part was getting the antenna cable down the left side of the car without removing a lot of the rear plastic.

After that it's pretty straight forward, and if you've ever run an amp cable you're smooth sailing.

Under the rear carpet, down the door floor paneleling, and under the drivers side carpet.

because of my manual, I can't see the display in 1st and 3rd, but I can see it in 5th and all other gears. An automatic would be smooth sailing.

My only dissapointment was that I had hoped the plastic under the ashtray bracket would be solid but it's not. Thus I opted to leave the ashtray bracket in for now rather than having the bigg holes under it show. (that might look okay though, even the bracket isn't that noticeable)

Bill

additionally, it took Two hours tops. I had to stop a couple times because it was raining hard, and I only have a carport.

Last edited by bobzemuda; 11-18-2003 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

mine took a little longer, but mainly because I installed the new head unit and sat receiver and 4 speakers and antenna at the same time. I think it took me about 4 hours. but I didn't run the cables permanently until the weekend. I did it on a thursday night and time was limited. went back saturday and pulled the panels out of the inside as well as the drivers seat and the console and ran all the wires the right way. I wired my satellite reciever power directly to the battery with an inline fuse since the Kenwood head unit switches it on and off when you switch between cd, tuner, sat, or turn the car off. I liked that so I didn't have to run yet another thing to the wire that the key turns on and off.

I've been thinking of getting a delphi unit like that for my wifes runner so we can bring it in the house too. how does that sound and does yours go inside the house too?

one other thing. is your runner a '98? good choice on the manual tranny.

Last edited by keisur; 11-18-2003 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by keisur
one other thing. is your runner a '98? good choice on the manual tranny.
It's a 2000. I had a 95 till early October when transmission problems, cv problems, and a host of other problems meant it was more cost effective for me to ditch it, and in a hurry. I had $1500 from someone hitting me and not ever fixing the dent that made for an extra helpful downpayment.

I couldn't put him in first or reverse when I'd start him in the morning. Thus, I had to put it in gear, turn the car on, and then drive away. An interesting ride to work with this technique. After 30-60min of driving it shifted pretty good so I found the closest manual 4Runner I could find which turned out to be a 2000. I woke up early one Saturday, drove #1 around for an hour and a half and promptly traded him in while he was shifting good.

I didn't realize the 2000s were a little lower at the time, but then if I hadn't have gotten rid of #1 when I did I'm not sure I would have managed to make it without fixing the trasnmission problem.

I still miss him

Way more info than you needed, but that's what led me to Yotatech. Lower or not, I'm not going to ˟˟˟˟˟ foot around with #2. I never used #1 the way I should have, and I'm not making that mistake twice. (though my wife wishes I didn't feel that way).

Bill

PS, I realize that sounds like a clutch problem, and not a transmission problem, but my transmission kept messing with my clutch as the trans had been going bad for years. It hadn't shifted smoothly into reverse in years even afer replacing the clutch.