Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

deckplate mod and gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deckplate mod and gas mileage

Im a little confused in this one. If the deckplate increases your airflow which will call for more fuel doesnt that decrease your gas mileage?

I will be driving from NY tO CA very soon and want the best possible gas mileage. Im wondering if the deckplate mod would pass the emmisions inspection in CA.

Last edited by Cardesign; 02-16-2005 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:26 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Oh, boy. This one can open a can of worms. OK, here's my take on this:

By opening the airbox you're allowing the engine to breathe more freely and supposedly not have to work as hard (make more efficient use of the fuel?) to accelerate. If you could drive EXACTLY as you did before installing the deckplate, you MAY noticce some improvement. HOWEVER, since we're all power animals and since the deckplate mod does 1) add some noticeable seat-of-the-pants pep and 2) sounds awesome as you approach WOT, I don't think anyone has been able to restrain from getting on it more than usual. In my experience. my mileage is about the same as before the deckplate mod but my grin is much wider!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:37 AM

how necessary is it to install the amsoil filter with this mod?
Old 02-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

An Amsoil or K&N will allow more air flow but you can use any filter even OEM.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:39 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Originally Posted by Cardesign
how necessary is it to install the amsoil filter with this mod?
I installed the deckplate mod sometime in late 2002 and then the Amsoil filter about a week later. I ran the Amsoil filter for about 2 years and replaced it with a paper filter about 5 months ago, only because I was getting tired of the check engine light coming on and cleaning the MAF about every 3-6 months. Seems like no matter how much oil I squeeze out of the Amsoil filter I still get the MAF crapped up. I notice no performance nor mileage difference between the Amsoil vs. paper with the deckplate open.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:57 AM

Rick F...thats exactly what i was thinking. NO sense in messing with a $600 MAF for minimal performance. Now i just have t find out if its legal in CAlifornia.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:05 AM

Mine passed smog test fine with the deckplate. I put the plate in, not sure if they even noticed it, or if it would have tested any different with it out.

California is strict on the emissions, and you have to score good numbers, but they dont do an "inspection" like I've heard some of the states in the east do. They do a basic once over and make sure no check engine lights are on.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

I have ran the deckplate mod on two different 5VZ-powered vehicles for the past 4 years and never had a CEL due to over-oiling the filter.

Sounds like operator error.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:51 AM

Here's my take on it... The deckplate mod has no significant affect on anything, at least not as far as I can tell from my spot in the driver's seat.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
Here's my take on it... The deckplate mod has no significant affect on anything, at least not as far as I can tell from my spot in the driver's seat.
I agree, nothing really changed, just a bit louder, then ISR mod changes EVERYTHING(louder). Only thing really you have to watch out for would be lead foot.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributing Member

I agree with Jackson and Ray. The only thing mine did was add noise. There is no power gain, and no difference in gas mileage with it open. If given the chance to do over, I definitely would not have. A nice, clean OEM air box is certainly better than one that gets chopped up. At least it didn't cost much to do. For the life of me, I cannot understand all the hype surrounding this mod. As with everything else, though, I guess each truck is different and your mileage may vary.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
I have ran the deckplate mod on two different 5VZ-powered vehicles for the past 4 years and never had a CEL due to over-oiling the filter.

Sounds like operator error.
Ditto
Old 02-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Wouldn't altitude be a factor as well?
I'm pretty much at sea level being in San Diego but some of you guys are up a bit higher...
Old 02-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The airflow is improved but you may not notice it as much in regular driving as you might towing or going up a steep hill.
I also added an Amsoil filter at the same time so it is tough for me to tell what is deckplate, what is air filter.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Darren
I agree with Jackson and Ray. The only thing mine did was add noise. There is no power gain, and no difference in gas mileage with it open. If given the chance to do over, I definitely would not have. A nice, clean OEM air box is certainly better than one that gets chopped up. At least it didn't cost much to do. For the life of me, I cannot understand all the hype surrounding this mod. As with everything else, though, I guess each truck is different and your mileage may vary.
ditto.

I did do this on my old 2.7L before I got the V6, though, and I liked it then. As far as my V6 goes though, the deckplate is permanently closed. I have an extra 5" deckplate in my garage, too, if anyone is interested in it.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

This mod is only noticed really at WOT at 55mph+. It does add a bit more kick. Normally, the 4Runner doesn't do much of anything when you floor it at 70mph, it just stands there. This mod will help you out in that area.

I've driven friends trucks without the mod, and if I had to guess, it adds maybe around 3-4 hp. Now, if you are running 33's, etc, you probably won't feel it.

I've had amsoil filter and deckplate in for over 4 years.

Old 02-16-2005, 01:45 PM

So why not just leave the top of the airbox off instead of cutting and drilling
Old 02-16-2005, 01:52 PM

thanks for all the replies guys. Im still not sure what im gonna do yet. Im getting 16.5 mpg right now. I just installed a new fuel filter today(dirty ass job) and I'll see what that brings. I guess the deckpate might help considering im gonna have two turtles on top and my truck filled with crap on the way out to CA. Not towing anything though.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jason B
This mod is only noticed really at WOT at 55mph+. It does add a bit more kick. Normally, the 4Runner doesn't do much of anything when you floor it at 70mph, it just stands there. This mod will help you out in that area.

I've driven friends trucks without the mod, and if I had to guess, it adds maybe around 3-4 hp. Now, if you are running 33's, etc, you probably won't feel it.

I've had amsoil filter and deckplate in for over 4 years.
Good point Jason.....the more open the throttle plate is, the more this mod will add to the response of the engine. You are removing restriction to airflow so when demand is low (ie not to hard on the gas), restriction won't matter much, but when demand is high such as max power at WOT or close to it, the restriction does become a factor. The goal is to minimize the difference in pressure between the air coming into the engine and the air in the intake tube.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 02-16-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:08 PM

so have we concluded that it WILL NOT hurt gas mileage? I just fig increase of power meant more fuel consumption.

Quick Reply: deckplate mod and gas mileage