Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Deck plate mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Deck plate mod

Hello all.

First of all, this is nice informative site. I'm glad I ran into it. I've been reading and browsing through different individual websites and I can't wait to try some of the mods.

After reading all the hype about the deck plate mod, I finally decided to try it out and I must say throttle response improved immensely. Along with the deck plate, I also removed the elbow which was easy since the airbox was out.

I have questions for those that had this done for a while concerning rain and moisture. When do you guys put the lid on to prevent water or moisture from coming in?

And with the elbow removed, is the engine more susceptible to possibly sucking water when driving in the rain, wet road and going over a puddle of water? How likely is this to happen and eventually cause the engine to hydrolock?

These are my concerns and hopefully I did not risk getting my engine hydrolocked in place of few added ponies. Can someone out there ease my mind and tell me that I'll be ok.

BTW, my rig is a Y2K Millenium Silver Limited 4X4. This would be my third 4Runner , next to the 86 and the 97 Limited. I obtained the Y2K from my father about 2 weeks ago when he decided to get the 2003 Black Sport Edition. The Y2K has about 37,000 miles now. Attached is my Dad's 2003 with the gold trims and aftermarket leather interior. Hopefully the picture would show.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I've never had an issue with leaving the mod'd airbox open in the rain. I have yet to take my rig off-road, but if I did, I would close it up in case of getting some real water into the airbox region. But, again, for the normal day-to-day rainy Seattle weather, it's wide open.
Old 06-20-2003, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea usually if they're light rain, I leave it open. But if I hear about a thunderstorm coming in or something, I close it up, because it gets pretty floody here in Indiana and I don't want any water splashing up in there.

An taking it off when off-roading is a definite must.
Now all you gotta do is the isr mod!
Old 06-20-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
And with the elbow removed, is the engine more susceptible to possibly sucking water when driving in the rain, wet road and going over a puddle of water? How likely is this to happen and eventually cause the engine to hydrolock?
Not sure why you did both, but to each his own.

I would only imagine water getting into the removed elbow if you crossed through deep water. That is why the majority of us do the deckplate. If you even think you're gonna drive or see those kinds of conditions, put the elbow back on and just go w/ the deckpalte.

bob