Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Debadging and Blacking out Grill Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadging and Blacking out Grill Help

Ok so I have done a crap load of searching and got almost everything I need to know to do this correct. So my question is what do you guys think would be the best primer to use for the grill (which is the gray paint frome the factory see pic) I want it to turn out real Good. Also I heard somebody on here using undercoating any pics would be great on that and some first hand experience would be even better.

How about that krylon plastic paint is it worth it or with the primer (self- etching ?) is it needed please help.

Because my truck is 12 years old I think the paint under the badges will be much brighter then the rest of my truck. (I know this because I took the stickers off the side of this truck) So I want to put them back on but painted(satin black/flat don't know yet) What should I use to put them back on the truck. I read about 3m double stick tape but I couldn't believe that would hold up around here Florida is frickin hot. So what kind of adhesive would work?

thanks so much and sorry for the long posts

Last edited by 96redtoy; 04-24-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump for some help
Old 04-25-2008, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you use paint for your grill you will probably have the best luck with the SEM brand (www.SEM.ws) or an automotive paint designed for plastic grills/bumpers. Check your area for a shop that mixes and sells automotive paint. They should have both.

3M double stick will be fine for your badges. It's what came on the new badges for my 02.

Is this what you were looking for?

Old 04-25-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
for the grille, you'll have to sand it probably to 320 or 400 and then prime it and then go over it again with 1000 grit before you top coat it. i've used a product i got from O'Reilly's called Bull Dog Adhesion Promoter and it's supposed to go on plastic before your primer, i was told it actually softens the plastic a little and when you put the primer on it, it actually fuses those two layers together, then the paint sticks to the primer coat. whether or not that's true, i don't know, but i've had good luck with it so far. you might want to put a couple coats of clear on top of the paint when you're done too.

i've got some spray on bedliner on my satoshi grille and it's pretty OK. i think i'm going to re-do it this summer if i have time b/c it's faded and some of it flaked off a little, but i cheated some on the prep so i'm sure that's my fault. and the fading could be fixed if i put a clear on top or maybe that UV topcoat they sell for Heruliner. also, self-etching primer is usually for metal, probably won't hurt to use it on plastic.

the 3m tape is SUPER STRONG! definitely use it, and if you do as the directions say (clean area and hold for a short time) you should have no problems with your emblems coming off in any climate, well, almost any climate. those 3m people know their sticky!

good luck to you.