Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dealer says I need both cats and a TPS.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rock Slide
I know, this is a bit off subject, but since we're on the subject of cats, maybe someone can help me with one of mine.

About a week ago, I noticed a rattling metal noise coming from underneath the vehicle while I was driving. The noise got louder as rpms increased, but was not present under normal idle. Long and short of it, I traced the noise to the 1st cat. With the vehicle off, I can hit it w/ a hammer and hear the exact same sound. It sounds like there is some loose metal material in there banging around.

No codes are being thrown, but this noise is driving me nuts. I hear it all the time...even with the windows up and the radio on while driving. Vehicle runs great, but that noise...

So my question is, is the only fix a new cat or can I simply disassemble the faulty one and remove the loose material and be ok?
It's your cheap ass toyota!

Aaron
Old 02-12-2009, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sloth!
You are wrong. as of this month there are no ODBII AFTERMARKET cats that are legal for sale in Ca. At this point the only option is OEM.
yup!
of course my chuck engine light just came on and found this tidbit out at the same time that you can no longer 'rent' code readers either

time to steal one off the dealer lot (J/K)
Old 02-16-2009, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Unbelieveable, I hope this insanity doesn't spread to the whole country.
they're trying damn hard unfortunately...
Old 02-16-2009, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I would go with a quality aftermarket. When shopping you will see that they usually list one as OBD II compliant and guarantee no CEL. Other that are cheaper usually don't say anything about being OBD II compatible. I am guessing your bad TPS ruined your cats. Usually something makes a cat go bad more often than them just failing on their own (unless the break up internally like RockSlide is describing) Seeing that I am all factory I would go with a normal flow high quality aftermarket since that is what the engine was designed for and is used to running. That, and I don't want to deal with a CEL, or running issues just to have to end up chaning the cat again or getting a simulator which might affect MPG>