Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cylinder Head Gaskets Recall Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cylinder Head Gaskets Recall Questions

After a long search, i finally bought a used (1 owner,well maintained) 96' 4runner Limited and it has had the following recall: Replaced Both Cylinder Head Gaskets & water pump/timing belt/thermostat was done also @ 31000 miles (has 60000 miles now and drives fine, quiet, smokefree exhaust, I am still checking for leaks but only see drips if any).

I know this has been an ongoing issue with Toyota (as well as sludge issue)and I could use some advice.

What is the chance of it reoccuring? what to check to see if it was done properly or to prevent it from reoccuring? (engine head gasket leaking coolant, compression/leakdown test/if aluminum heads were/are cracked between the valves???). Thanks
Old 11-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

The dependance of it occuring again lies soley on the quality of the install. I had the shop foreman at Toyota do mine at 66K miles. I feel very confident in his work. I am currently at 83K miles.

Another good thing is that the recall was for a possible external leak due to a design flaw. So, you are not going to get catastrophic engine failure.

As for the sludge, that depends on the oil change intervals. Check under the oil cap. That will tell you what is going on. If they changed the oil on time for the most part, you will not have a sludge problem.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:54 PM

thanks for the info - "Another good thing is that the recall was for a possible external leak due to a design flaw. So, you are not going to get catastrophic engine failure."

Im just paranoid, in case it overheated or something but the previous owner & work order did mention a leak.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:42 PM

Do you have any info on how the recall works? I just blew a head gasket this weekend in my 96 4runner with 114,00 miles. Am I eligible?
Old 12-21-2004, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by koyota93
Do you have any info on how the recall works? I just blew a head gasket this weekend in my 96 4runner with 114,00 miles. Am I eligible?
I had over 130k miles when I had mine done in Oct.
You should look into it quickly since I know they are stopping the campaign soon.
Just call up Toyota corporate and give them the VIN, they will tell you if you are still eligible or not.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:06 AM

Thanks I'll do that.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:06 AM

DAMMIT!!!!! Went to the dealer today, he said my car was eligible. So I towed it in. He calls me back a few hours later to inform me that the campaign ended 11-24-04. What the F***? He said there was nothing they can do to help. I can't drive the car, and I just returned the car trailer to U-haul. I am pissed off. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get them to cover this. I am the second owner of the car and have not received any info regarding the X01 campaign. I have owned the car for 2 years now. They designed an inferior product, don't inform me about a recall, and now its gonna cost an arm and a leg. Something isn't right. Why is there a time limit? There is a defective component, why the hell are they not replacing it? I am gonna try to get those b**ches at the dealer to tow my car somewhere else at the least? Cuz they told me I was covered and made me bring my car in. I need some suggestions on what to do and what my options are. Thanks guys.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by koyota93
DAMMIT!!!!! Went to the dealer today, he said my car was eligible. So I towed it in. He calls me back a few hours later to inform me that the campaign ended 11-24-04. What the F***? He said there was nothing they can do to help. I can't drive the car, and I just returned the car trailer to U-haul. I am pissed off. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get them to cover this. I am the second owner of the car and have not received any info regarding the X01 campaign. I have owned the car for 2 years now. They designed an inferior product, don't inform me about a recall, and now its gonna cost an arm and a leg. Something isn't right. Why is there a time limit? There is a defective component, why the hell are they not replacing it? I am gonna try to get those b**ches at the dealer to tow my car somewhere else at the least? Cuz they told me I was covered and made me bring my car in. I need some suggestions on what to do and what my options are. Thanks guys.
I am afraid that at this point you need to look at damage control (ie start looking for a replacement engine, which should be the cheapest means for repairing yours....if you just have the gaskets done, there may be some mechanical failure which costs huge $$$$ to repair too.....I wouldn't chance it) because after the campaign ends they are very unlikely to be taking responsability for anything after that but you can certainly try with Toyota corporate (don't bother with the dealers because they don't hold the power in that respect.....if you can get Toyota to authorize it.....the dealers will do the work).

Sad to say I did post about this earlier:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...asket+campaign
Old 12-23-2004, 05:22 AM

Did they tell you how much it would cost to fix the head gasket problem if you had to pay for it out of your pocket?
Old 12-23-2004, 06:46 AM

I feel if even out of date they should fix it if it hasn't been done yet. They still fix the old 3.0 headgaskets once if they have never been done. I belive they also still work on the silent recall about the 1st gen tacoma springs breaking if yours have never been replaced. I think I would call corporate and question/express your concern to them. Usually doing that will get them to do a good deed repair.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

when my replaced hg let go and took my #3 cylinder ring with it i got nowhere with toyota, i can relate to the tone of the thread. good luck!
Old 12-24-2004, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Crux
Did they tell you how much it would cost to fix the head gasket problem if you had to pay for it out of your pocket?
They quoted me around $1500, but I know a mechanic that will do it for $400 labor plus $320 for the headset and around $200 for machine work. Total $920.
Old 12-25-2004, 01:37 PM

Does anyone know if Toyota will reimburse you the money if you have it done somewhere else? Cuz I can probably get the shop to write me an invoice from one month ago, before the recall expired. Are there any links to the official recall info? Tried to find some on a search engine, but no luck.