Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CV's Binding?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV's Binding?!

So I've had my driver side Inner CV Boot split for about 3 months now. I put more grease in it yesterday, but both CV's are still popping. I'm replacing with the NAPA CV's. Is their anyway I can make them stop until I have the new Cv's?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:35 AM

nope they are broke. will do it until its replaced. be careful! when they go, they go.. good luck... btw why napa? whats wrong with yota oem?? mine has 100k miles and works like a charm
Old 11-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
... btw why napa? whats wrong with yota oem?? mine has 100k miles and works like a charm
Price.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Contributing Member

quality first. especially when dealing with those on a lifted truck. unless you go advance auto...get their crap cv's and when they break every week you can replace them for free
Old 11-19-2007, 07:36 AM

I believe NAPA has the lifetime warranty on their CV axles as well.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:59 AM

how much are the cv's from napa with the lifetime warranty?.. also from someone who told me this at work, that if you offroad and it shows they will not warranty them.. just figured i would say that..
Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by mkgarrison5
how much are the cv's from napa with the lifetime warranty?.. also from someone who told me this at work, that if you offroad and it shows they will not warranty them.. just figured i would say that..
They are $70. What Napa doesnt know wont hurt them . Went and priced OEM ones at $416 EACH! Quick question, I can still engage 4WD, would that still make them broke?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:13 AM

if they are popping then they are broke lol.. replace them
Old 11-19-2007, 09:25 AM

Well, anytime you see a rip in the boot, you're pretty much going to have to buy a new one or try to rebuild the old (not recommended). Dirt gets into the joint and gradually wears out the parts. No way to fix that unless you completely rebuild or replace.

I've used NAPA axles before (not the reman'ed but NEW). They held up solid. Autozone axles are good, too (again, new). But I believe they both sell the same axles from the same manuf.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:51 AM

Supposedly these are the NAPA Name Brand. Are GSP's any good? I'm not saying they aren't broke, it sounds in person like they are, haha . I just dont' understand how if they are broke, how they can still engage in 4 WD.

Last edited by Nate08; 11-19-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:00 AM

well they arent broke broke, they arent snapped in half. which boot ripped? im going to guess the outter. something is broken inside the joint, it will still work as a cv, but it really is a ticking time bomb with load applied in 4wd.

i dont see that you have manual hubs, so im assuming you have the ADD still in place. this will cause the cv's to spin even when not in 4wd.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by seanz0rz
well they arent broke broke, they arent snapped in half. which boot ripped? im going to guess the outter. something is broken inside the joint, it will still work as a cv, but it really is a ticking time bomb with load applied in 4wd.

i dont see that you have manual hubs, so im assuming you have the ADD still in place. this will cause the cv's to spin even when not in 4wd.
I don't have manual hubs and it's the inner-joint on the driver side.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:23 AM

do you have a diff drop with your lift? in my opinion that is absolutely necessary with any lift.

as for the popping of the joint, the inner joints are pretty simple (not nearly as complex as the outers) not sure what component in there would be popping.

how long do you have to wait for the part? seems like it should be only a couple of days if they were not in stock to begin with.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:25 AM

I have a 1" diff drop. As for the part, I'm pretty sure NAPA has them in stock. But I went for 1.5 months and wheeled it once on a decent trail without the drop. I just hope replacing it will fix it.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:48 PM

Well...they have been replaced. I still have a popping. My custom panhard bar has really big thread (it is a tool made for a crane) so the threaded part can play about 1/8" when the back articulates. I think this is causing tthe popping, however, it seems to be coming from up front. I know that vibrations and sound can transfer causing a mental fart, but, anyone have any ideas? I'm going to make a new panhard with very fine thread.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Nate08
Well...they have been replaced. I still have a popping. My custom panhard bar has really big thread (it is a tool made for a crane) so the threaded part can play about 1/8" when the back articulates. I think this is causing tthe popping, however, it seems to be coming from up front. I know that vibrations and sound can transfer causing a mental fart, but, anyone have any ideas? I'm going to make a new panhard with very fine thread.
Could be from the steering wheel. If you search here and ttora you should find a lot of info. Basically the slip joint has play and thats what you hear.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:29 AM

The pop from the front seems to be coming dirctly underneath where the gas/brake pedals are. Especially when I sway from side to side. can I just use some kind of synthetic grease on all zerks? And I just put grease in until it starts to come out of the zerks, correct?

Last edited by Nate08; 12-03-2007 at 03:57 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Check all your bushings up front, starting with the sway bar bushings. Mine were shot and basically missing thus allowing the bar to contact the frame. Could be something like that causing the noise you're hearing. Jack up the truck, get a long pry bar or pipe, and pry on stuff to see if anything is moving more than it should.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:32 AM

Mine pop but it is the bushing on the Mcpherson strut. It pops over every bump that I hit and can do nothing about it until a new strut or bushing is replaced... So I said SAS!!! Thats where I am now.

Check you rubber on your strut bushing and if it is cracked or punctured then that is probably it. A lift puts so much extra force in that one part.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nate08
The pop from the front seems to be coming dirctly underneath where the gas/brake pedals are. Especially when I sway from side to side. can I just use some kind of synthetic grease on all zerks? And I just put grease in until it starts to come out of the zerks, correct?
If its from under the dash/ pedals I would put money on it that its the steering slip joint. The joint gets to much play in it and you get the clunk.LOOK and read The only fix is to weld the slip joint or put a pin in it. Either way that is a big safty part your working on (if you hit the steering wheel with your body it will calapse and make less impact on your body.)

Quick Reply: CV's Binding?!