Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Console Wiring Trouble - Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Console Wiring Trouble - Need Help!

I had my console apart for a CB install, and when I snapped all the harness connections together there is a problem. The Rear Window Switch and the light on the climate control is not working. None of the pins in the multi pin connector (10 or 12 pins, something like that) that covers that area are bent. My feeling is that in manipulating the thing perhaps these two leads came off their pin connection.

Does anyone have a schematic or can tell me where to get one to find out which wires apply here?

How should I troubleshoot this problem?
Old 05-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

I would get creative with a test llight to figure out which wires from the plug go to the things that arn't working and bypass/modify/re-attach-new-plug from there.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyRat
I had my console apart for a CB install, and when I snapped all the harness connections together there is a problem. The Rear Window Switch and the light on the climate control is not working. None of the pins in the multi pin connector (10 or 12 pins, something like that) that covers that area are bent. My feeling is that in manipulating the thing perhaps these two leads came off their pin connection.

Does anyone have a schematic or can tell me where to get one to find out which wires apply here?

How should I troubleshoot this problem?
They do have schematics in the Haynes manual for sure or from a 4Runner FSM.

As for troubleshooting, you will need to get yourself a multimeter (available at Walmart, home depot, most auto parts stores, etc) and then check on either side of the connection. Make sure to first double check everything you took apart, make sure everything is connected and that the connectors are fully inserted. If all looks good, then start probing the wires using the continuity (ie 0 ohms, resistance) feature which should beep if the wires are connected. If not, you found at least one of the culprits.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

I dunno, maybe this is a dumb question and I'm sure you already checked but are the fuses still good?
Old 05-23-2004, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Peter, Yeah the fuses are good and both the window and climate control work. Just the window from that switch does not, and the light on climate control.

MTL, I have been trying to do that. The problem I have here is that the mulit-pin connector plugs directly into a sealed module. I cannot get to the other end of the plug to see if there is a connection. I have the FSM and while they tell you how to take the console apart, I cannot find a schematic that would tell me what color wire to deal with. That would really narrow my search for problems. I will check my Haynes. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyRat
MTL, I have been trying to do that. The problem I have here is that the mulit-pin connector plugs directly into a sealed module. I cannot get to the other end of the plug to see if there is a connection. I have the FSM and while they tell you how to take the console apart, I cannot find a schematic that would tell me what color wire to deal with. That would really narrow my search for problems. I will check my Haynes. Thanks.
Which sealed module are you talking about? Window switch?
Can you post a pic of what you are looking at?
Old 05-23-2004, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

The switch assembly above the radio is one complete sealed unit, but it can be taken apart. George, I have an extra one here at my house, if you want to try it to see if it fixes your problem, your more than welcome to borrow it.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Bruce, I tested the switch with a continuity tester. It is good. Later Nina pluged in that section of the when she did it worked... don't ask me how. I also took the climate control apart. It looks like the bulbs in the backlight are burned out. There is 10v to their sockets, but the bulbs themselves failed the continuity test. Hamer Toyota in the morning to see if they have 'em, so I can get my console back together.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Which sealed module are you talking about? Window switch?
Can you post a pic of what you are looking at?