Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Colorado - Restoration Help Needed

Old 09-08-2003, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Colorado - Restoration Help Needed

Here's a copy of a post that's been making the rounds here. The Hayman fire area is still in need of some restoration work and this is a great opportunity to show that not all 4x4ers are inbred, redneck iceholes. All of the contact information is included.

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

From Jeff Zepp, Commandeer of Rising Sun:
Our last outing was quite a success, and we have planned a follow-up event for Sunday September 28th. The Forest Service http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/psicc/hayres was VERY impressed with both the work that we did, and the way we went about it, in an environmentally sensitive way. I spoke with Theresa Springer at CUSP http://uppersouthplatte.org today and she told me that we will be using closed trails on public land this time around. We will not only be transporting the straw to otherwise innaccessible areas, but we will also be building some straw dams.

The format we used the last time worked well, so we will again meet at the Westcreek Fire Station at 10:00AM. For those who wish to caravan to Westcreek from the Denver area, we will meet in Sedalia at 8:30 and leave by 8:45. Westcreek is off of Highway 67, north of Woodland Park. Once you turn off 67 toward Westcreek, turn left at the stop sign and you will see the fire station shortly. Bring gloves, lunch, water. Shovels and rakes will be helpful. If a few people bring sledge hammers to drive in the stakes for the straw dams that will also be helpful. If a few people bring chainsaws and/or bowsaws, that will come in handy. I would suggest perhaps safety glasses and a hat to keep the straw out of your eyes and hair :-) I will be organizing jeffzepp@earthlink.net and Theresa Springer info@uppersouthplatte.org is our contact at CUSP. CB Channel 4. For late arrivals, wait at the fire station, we'll send someone back to round you up!

Here are some links to some photos from last time, to give you an idea of what it will be like:

http://www.angelfire.com/bug/dirt/

http://www.freewebs.com/ourredyota/h...rationeffo.htm

Please cross-post this freely to whatever Colorado 4x4 lists and BBs that you frequent. We had about a dozen rigs last time, and expect more this time. We are working on various scenarios for splitting up into smaller work groups for different areas, the number will depend on how many show up. Jeff and Jerry, we only had 2 from Co Spgs last time; can we count on more this time? We had Rising Sun, GO-4s and Big Horn Jeep Club last time, can we get CLC, MHJC and Rockhoppers involved for this?

Synopsis of this info is on the Rising Sun web site calendar page: http://risingsun4x4club.org/calender.html and includes links to maps, web sites and emails.

Thanks to everyone who came last time, and thanks in advance to all who will be there on the 28th!

Jeff Zepp
Rising Sun 4WD Club
Old 09-09-2003, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Update - According to someone (Bill Morgan) who was on the last restoration trip, stock trucks should have no problem with most of the roads in the restoration area.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Back to the top.
I'll be there if I'm not in Steamboat.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Come on folks. It's prime aspen viewing time & not everything was charred.

(It's this Sunday (28th), for those who didn't follow all of the links.)

Last edited by mtnfreak; 09-22-2003 at 07:12 AM.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:38 PM
DSP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MtnFreak...

i'd love to help out but will be in boston this weekend.

please let me know what othewr possible cleanups are going on in the future.

i just spent the night on saturday down at vallecito res, outside durango, where the missionary ridge fire took out most of everything around the lake. they are doing serious logging efforts now but man it was in rough shape.

let me know or pm me with details.

-dave, telluride