Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 03-30-2016, 10:39 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Toyota Tacoma Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Cigarette Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cigarette Lighter

Well...I finally got my new cell phone. I also got a car charger with it...and since I don't smoke and I don't let even a SPEC of tobacco into my rig there has been no reason for me to use the cig. lighther prior to this. Long story short, the stupid thing doesn't work and I checked every fuse and they are all fine.

Went to the dealer and found that the lighter goes through a relay which also controls pretty much the entire lighting of the dash so I'm pretty much sure that the relay is fine.

Next culpret is the lighter socket itself, I need to know how it comes out. I have tried stickin my finger into the lighter and pulling but it doesn't move at all. I have removed the ashtray and tried to get at it that way with no luck there either.

Anybody ever had to replace the lighter socket? Apparently there is a diode or something that back there that can get corroded (sp?) and make the whole thing stop working...any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Fink
Old 12-26-2003, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a replacement lighter socket that should go in some time this week.

There is what's called a fusable link that connects to the back of the lighter that I blew when I was running a compressor several years ago. The biggest nuisance is not being able to charge the cell as you mentioned.
Old 12-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

How do you go about removing the old socket? I looked and couldn't figure out how to get to it.

Thanks for the reply Flygt,

Fink
Old 12-26-2003, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Yo Fink,

The easiest way is to pull your center dash, and pull it out from the back. I just fixed mine last week.

Don't bother getting a new one. It's almost certainly just the fusible link wire on the back. The whole assembly is like $33 from the dealer:cry:

Pull the center dash using the instructions in 4runners.org's (Bob's) web site. Once it's pulled free, it's pretty easy to to twist the thing out from the back.

Then get a piece of wire to replace the fusible link on the back of the beastie. Corey just used regular wire and seems ok. I used a small piece of 18 gauge fusible link wire to try and do it "right". Not that I think it matters much.

Some sockets can be pulled from the front with a special tool. I dunno if the Toy's is like that. I was in the dash for other reasons, so it was easy for me to do it that way.

HTH...
Old 12-26-2003, 05:46 PM

I replaced mine but I forgot how exactly. What helped me, it was already loose so I had no problem replacing it. In fact, I replaced it at the dealer's parking lot; took no longer than five minutes.
Old 12-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Cig Lighter

The easiest way to access the cig lighter if it won't come out from the front is to take off the center dash piece and just pop it out from the backside. I can't imagine it being too difficult. On my 3rd gen I can have the center dash off and the cig lighter out in less than 5 minutes easy.

Old 12-26-2003, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Chris;

When you say "Long story short, the stupid thing doesn't work..." are you talking about the lighter or the charger? If you're talking about the charger, try the lighter before digging into the dash. If the lighter works and the charger doesn't the fuse in the charger may be missing or just flakey. The nose of the lighter adapter will unscrew to expose the fuse.

Past that, like other folks have said, you have to pull out the center dash piece to get to the lighter.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

make sure its the 12V source that isnt working, not the charger
Old 12-26-2003, 08:52 PM

I can't imagine it being too difficult. On my 3rd gen I can have the center dash off and the cig lighter out in less than 5 minutes easy.
The 2nd Gen dashes are a little bit more involved, since the center dash piece is part of the whole thing, but it's not too hard to do. It just takes a little longer. But i'd say either replace the fuseable link, or buy an inline fuse at walmart and stick it back there.

good luck!
Old 12-27-2003, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

It's definately the lighter socket itself. The actual lighter part won;t pop-out on its own then pressed in which means its not getting hot. So sounds like the dash needs to come off and then after that its pretty simple.

Thanks for the replies guys, should happen sometime this week.

Fink
Old 12-27-2003, 09:36 AM

my truck had the hole and the wire for it but didn't have a lighter so I got one for about 3 bucks at an auto store. it wasn't too hard to put in, just took out the center dash and it slid right in from the back... it's a little bit of a pain to get the wiring hooked up though. I've never seen a stock lighter so I can't help you with that but since even my aftermarket one went in from behind I would guess that yours would slid out back into the dash also?

good luck gettin it straight
Old 11-03-2011, 03:57 PM

Rather than starting a new discussion, I think this is the best place to rehash this issue. My '97 4Runner has NO reference to the blade fuse on any of the fuse panels (pics to follow as soon as I pull them from my phone). I followed the tips to remove the dash panels, starting with armrest top, e-brake trim, shifter trim...then when I was attempting to pop off the fake-wood radio/climate control trim, I was met with BIG resistance near the top and on the passenger side. I used a large flat-head screwdriver, but gave up, because I know my frustration threshold and I have to be at work at 4:45am (it's 6:15pm now, and I have to get stuff done). I buttoned everything back up, but was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks on how to pop this piece off without snapping it in half?!?! I REALLY need this power port...I should hardwire others, but for now it's all I have...for my CB/iPhone/Sirius Radio/etc...which have never given me problems. Oh, BTW, DO NOT plug in a Rally brand window heater/defogger. It'll pop that link in 3 minutes.
Name:  1111kick.jpg
Views: 3714
Size:  54.9 KB
Name:  1111kickA.jpg
Views: 3752
Size:  44.1 KB
Name:  1111hood.jpg
Views: 2478
Size:  60.4 KB
Name:  1111hoodA.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  56.5 KB
Old 11-03-2011, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
You don't say which center trim you have. My 96 looks like thus:
Name:  247-4749_IMG.jpg
Views: 2959
Size:  59.7 KB
If yours does too then you have to carefully pry off the climate control panel. The a/c switch is plugged in so keep in mind you are also unplugging that at the same time. After you get that panel off (I use a flat blade screwdriver at the top slots, works best for me) look for screws. Two hold the trim on, 2 hold the climate control stuff on. Choose the correct 2 and the trim will pull off. If you have the other style then that is another story. Check the clock repair thread for a how-to on that style.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Zombie Thread!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:24 PM

That's what mine looks like...except it's that painted "wood". I will have to approach that on Sunday, as I work all day tomorrow and Saturday...Thanks for the tips, and I'll letcha know what I find!
ZOMBIE THREAD FOR SURE!!!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 PM

PS...digging your radio setup...would love to hear about that in a PM if you get a chance!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bob200587
Zombie Thread!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
Hahhaha!!! That's what I thought too, I almost didn't read the whole thing when I saw the beginning date but then I got curious.

Thanks! I've got a build thread, it's a few pages in and not hard to do. You'll see the bracket you'd use when you get in there. Take out cubby, put in cb (assuming that's the radio you're referring to). You'll need an L connector for the coax to the radio to make it fit behind the trim. Let me know if you want more info.
Anyway, see sig, dig through something like 15 pages of fluff and stuff.

To get the trim the rest of the way off there's the clock, hazards, rear defrost, lighter socket and light for ashtray to unplug.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Geeeeez, Fink was still in diapers when he started this thread way back then
Old 11-04-2011, 02:36 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
what was that like 5 of Fink's trucks ago
Old 11-04-2011, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

Not fair, Fink gets a new truck every 5 months.

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter