Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Charlotte Toyota guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charlotte Toyota guys

so I am in charlotte for a few days again...

I was on South Blvd today so I stopped into 4Wheel Parts. Started talking to Mike Travis the assistant manager up there who is a real nice guy. Turns out he as well as at least two of the other guys up there are big into Toyotas. He drives an 84 on 37s and one of the other dudes had a 40 with a 350 sitting on f/r 60s. Mike came out and took some pictures of my truck, no idea what they are for, I assume just to hang on the wall up there or whatever. But I thought I'd pass with along to the Charlotte guys that haven't been up there yet. Mike is a super nice/cool guy and it certainly is nice to see some toy guys up there. It has always been my impression that the guys that generally work at 4Wheel Parts Stores are either Jeep tools or fullsize show truck types. Definately not the case here. These guys wheel, and do so in some phat Toys.

On a side note, I was going toward pineville on 51 and got stopped at the Rea road light (first in line in right hand lane). When the left turn light went green i noticed a lift 2nd gen 4Runner make a left onto Rea road (going toward Stonecrest). It was dark blue and lifted with 33s or 35s and had a diecut white 4Wheel Parts sticker on the rear spoiler. That's all I got because I didn't get a good look, would have followed but was 2 lanes over. That anyone on the board? Anyone know this person? It seems to me there are more Charlotte guys on this board than others so let me know...

Dave
Old 07-23-2003, 03:07 PM

Damn. I was on both South Blvd and Rei Road today. I wish I coulda seen your rig. I had to return some stuff to Best Buy and stopped by Chick Fil A on the way.

There dont seem to be too many lifted 4Runners around here. I've seen a couple G1s on 33s and 35s. One or two G2s lifted, one of em being that massive 2WD blue 4Runner on 40s that everyone saw on eBay about 6-months ago (btw, its owned by a 15-year old in my neighborhood). I've yet to see a G3 lifted here in Charlotte.

David
Old 07-23-2003, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the info on 4wheelparts. I will have to check them out. Has anyone here been to Tarheel 4x4 on Tryon? I have a 94 4x4 and I'm looking into lifting it and some small performance mods. (intake, header, cam, exhaust)
Where do you guys go wheelin?
Old 07-23-2003, 08:29 PM

Hey man. Welcome to the board. Its always good to see more local people. Check out the North Carolina 4ROC web page: http://66.129.122.172. We've got a trip in the plannings for August 11-12th at the Uwahree Nat'l Forest. There is info on the main index page. Also, hit us up on AIM. My handle is Prolax013. I can direct you to some other local guys, mostly with 2nd Gens also if you need info from them.

Dave
Old 07-23-2003, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

44Run Dave,
You wouldn't happen to be comming down to NC on the 11th-12th would you?? I really want to see your rig and we are gonna have a knee slapp'n good time! If you want some good pics of your rig I will be snapping away the whole time and I'm a pretty good photographer. Besides... Doestn't get much better than a full day of wheeling, a cold beer and either a steak or burger does it? Plus, everyone has to try my specialty burgers... Well, I hope both of you can make it.

Evil,
As for the lift, I don't know about your truck, but for mine, there are much better prices online than anywhere else for aftermarket stuff. If you have someone to a. install the stuff for you, or b, help you install it. Mike (xtremeoff-road.com) has just about everything. When you know what you want, drop him a line... he has a low price garentee! He is also a felow yotech member and has a decked out 3Gen. Anyway, welcom aboard and hope to see you at the meed too!

ps, Lax Dave, you might want to change your sig since your avatar is your real truck now
Old 07-24-2003, 07:20 AM

Lol. I dont know what you talking about...
Old 07-24-2003, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by evilcow
Has anyone here been to Tarheel 4x4 on Tryon? I have a 94 4x4 and I'm looking into lifting it and some small performance mods. (intake, header, cam, exhaust)
Where do you guys go wheelin?
Tarheel 4x4 sux bad. I went in there to se if they could do anything to my truck and they basically told me to get a truck that is made for the trails and 4 wheeling. They dissed the ideas of putting mudders on my 3rd gen truck and said he was surprise i fit 32 inch AT, that's crap because the come nowhere near rubbing. They are a bunch of Full size and jeep a holes and i wouldn't even buy a bolt from them.
4 wheel parts is cool, Unfortunently the guy with the FJ40 is selling it to get "a real truck" but he did do alot of work to it (has extra OEM parts for cheep) I have had problems with there lack of knowledge with IFS and customer service (read my review in the vender section) but overall they are good guys Especially Criss with the cj-5
The trails I run are in Iredell and Catawba county have hardcore trails with 44 inch bogger mud holes. Beech Mountain has some hard trails also but you better go soon cause it will soon be a golf course
Old 07-24-2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Hyperlite
Tarheel 4x4 sux bad. I went in there to se if they could do anything to my truck and they basically told me to get a truck that is made for the trails and 4 wheeling. They dissed the ideas of putting mudders on my 3rd gen truck and said he was surprise i fit 32 inch AT, that's crap because the come nowhere near rubbing. They are a bunch of Full size and jeep a holes and i wouldn't even buy a bolt from them.
4 wheel parts is cool, Unfortunently the guy with the FJ40 is selling it to get "a real truck" but he did do alot of work to it (has extra OEM parts for cheep) I have had problems with there lack of knowledge with IFS and customer service (read my review in the vender section) but overall they are good guys Especially Criss with the cj-5
The trails I run are in Iredell and Catawba county have hardcore trails with 44 inch bogger mud holes. Beech Mountain has some hard trails also but you better go soon cause it will soon be a golf course
That has pretty much been my experience with Tarheel 4x4 as well. If you don't have a big Jeep, they won't give you the time of day. Not to mention they are over priced. I certainly wouldn't go there...
Old 07-24-2003, 03:12 PM

Thanks for all the info. I would really like to join you at the Uwharrie Run thanks for the invite
Old 07-24-2003, 08:41 PM

Do you mind sharing with me where the trails in Catawba are?
Old 07-25-2003, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by ssbogger
Do you mind sharing with me where the trails in Catawba are?
The Catawba trails are on Lake Norman in an area called Sherills Ford on Molly's Backbone and Island Point Road. These are usually powerline trails and are mainly on Duke Power property. These trails are fairly difficult and are very tight in some spots. The trails around the lake are notorious for red mud and fine grain sand (quick sand). This stuff will get you stuck and usually involves water. The mud holes are very deep and rutted out so use caution when choosing a line. I highly recomend taking 2 things: 1. winch 2. another vehicle.
Also SSbogger have you gone to WestBowl on the back of Beech Mountain, It small but fun and chalenging. We went in a 18 inch snow storm with 6 trucks (everything but the only Yota got stuck)
Old 07-25-2003, 03:39 PM

Also SSbogger have you gone to WestBowl on the back of Beech Mountain, It small but fun and chalenging. We went in a 18 inch snow storm with 6 trucks (everything but the only Yota got stuck)
The first trails dont sound like my cup of tea. Never been to West Bowl. I live in Boone during the school year so it'd probably be worth checking out. Is it near the slopes?
Old 07-26-2003, 06:43 PM
rjm

i have had work done both at tarheel and 4wheelparts. i would have to say, tarheel knows there stuff-more. 4wheelparts isn't bad- but when the manager there told me all i had to do to convert to manual locking hubs on my 02 tacoma, was to buy 80.00 warn hubs- i kind of lost my confindence in them.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:10 PM

Is Misenheimer still on the map?? Concord, Charlotte, Boone, Asheville........ God I miss my stomping grounds......Salisbury rocked!!!! Catawba College girls especially..........
Old 03-08-2005, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Str8krazyNCO
Is Misenheimer still on the map?? Concord, Charlotte, Boone, Asheville........ God I miss my stomping grounds......Salisbury rocked!!!! Catawba College girls especially..........

I hated Salibury but i did used to date a Catawba College girl...and she rocked!!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Me and my dad are planning on hitting up Uwharrie as soon as it opens (April 1st?) Come on down!!!