Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

catalytic converter stolen

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just in case anyone didnt know why rhodium, palladium and platinum are so high....its because of the industrialization going on in China right now. Same reason our steel prices have skyrocketed
Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what a Dumb Retard, I hope the guy who stole it from you knows that for all his work he is going to get about 100- 200 dollars, this isnt a sports car he stole it out of or luxury SUV, even my dads Navigator's Catalyctic Converter was only 300$, he'll blow the the money on gas in about a week. Sorry for cussin, but what a Dumbass.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1stgen4gunner
what a Dumb Retard, I hope the guy who stole it from you knows that for all his work he is going to get about 100- 200 dollars, this isnt a sports car he stole it out of or luxury SUV, even my dads Navigator's Catalyctic Converter was only 300$, he'll blow the the money on gas in about a week. Sorry for cussin, but what a Dumbass.

all his work ? 5 minutes = 150 bucks,
that pays for the sawzall that does the cutting

hell I'd go out and steal converters
for a living.

but me no crook,

so I, of course, won't
Old 05-15-2008, 01:59 PM

I had one of the cats on my '02 4runner stolen in downtown Dallas in the middle of the day while I was at work, less than 200 yards from a police station. This happened in early 2008.

Yeah, I was pissed.

Being that my 4runner is CA emission equipped, it made finding a cat that much more difficult. I finally found one that met CARB standards, and installed it. I had to get a new O2 sensor as well, because the cut the wires and took it too.

To prevent it from being stolen again, I welded a 1/4" thick 1" flat bar down the length of my cat, from the rear of the first cat, across the second cat, down to the muffler. It will take a VERY long time to cut through that 1/4" steel to remove the cats now.

I also went a step further and double-wrapped the cats and pipes with 5/8" steel cable. The cable is welded at every coil around the pipe. It is wrapped once down the length of the cats up to the muffler, then is wrapped a second time back up to the front cat.

Needless to say, I do not think my cat will be getting stolen ever again...
Old 05-15-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by animator
I had one of the cats on my '02 4runner stolen in downtown Dallas in the middle of the day while I was at work, less than 200 yards from a police station. This happened in early 2008.

Yeah, I was pissed.

Being that my 4runner is CA emission equipped, it made finding a cat that much more difficult. I finally found one that met CARB standards, and installed it. I had to get a new O2 sensor as well, because the cut the wires and took it too.

To prevent it from being stolen again, I welded a 1/4" thick 1" flat bar down the length of my cat, from the rear of the first cat, across the second cat, down to the muffler. It will take a VERY long time to cut through that 1/4" steel to remove the cats now.

I also went a step further and double-wrapped the cats and pipes with 5/8" steel cable. The cable is welded at every coil around the pipe. It is wrapped once down the length of the cats up to the muffler, then is wrapped a second time back up to the front cat.

Yeah, that'll do the trick! Finally a good solution.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:33 PM

Mine just got stolen today off my 91 4runner. The strange thing is, it was in the middle of the day 1:30-3:00 pm, in broad daylight in the parking lot of a mall that is in a decent part of town. And the mall doesn't have any camera's, oh well.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fo by Fo
Mine just got stolen today off my 91 4runner. The strange thing is, it was in the middle of the day 1:30-3:00 pm, in broad daylight in the parking lot of a mall that is in a decent part of town. And the mall doesn't have any camera's, oh well.

Wow sounds exactly like my story! They got mine (91 4-runner)yesterday 4 pm on a busy street right outside of my job.Looks like they used a pipe cutter (too clean for a sawzall) Truck is in the shop, Im not lookin forward to the bill. Any ideas what I might be lookin at?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Fo by Fo

Wow sounds exactly like my story! They got mine (91 4-runner)yesterday 4 pm on a busy street right outside of my job.Looks like they used a pipe cutter (too clean for a sawzall) Truck is in the shop, Im not lookin forward to the bill. Any ideas what I might be lookin at?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Free Cat

I got a new one.
Attached Thumbnails catalytic converter stolen-freecat-1-.jpg  
Old 06-03-2008, 07:29 AM

UPDATE: Total cost for new Cat and install $225. Not tooo bad but I dont want to have to pay it again. I am working on a skidplate type protective cover and will post pics when completed.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 AM

Could you please post some pics when you get a chance? Im looking for some ideas.
Originally Posted by animator

Yeah, I was pissed.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:40 PM

Another victim here. Went out this morning to the start the Runner and sounded like a Harley. As soon as I heard it, I knew it was a stolen cat. So its at the dealer now. Waiting for the damage report.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:18 PM

It's a sad trend that is even starting to hit rural vermont. Buddy had one cut off a week ago, only the scrap metal buyers around here are notifying police of who brought it in. all the work you do to keep these trucks running good, and some bastard does that to you in about 4 or 5 seconds. Sucks
Old 06-24-2008, 02:28 PM

It is quite prevalent.The local mechanic I use had a 4runner in the shop for a missing cat when I was last there. The mechanic had his stolen too.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:38 PM

It is really sad that people have come to steal cat. converter. I have put in so much money, effort, not to mention time to keep it running amazing and then all of a sudden, something like this happens. I pisses me off because this due didn't even use a saw-z-all or anything. It looked like he clamped each side until it got squeezed to a point where he then ripped it off. Because it looked like it shrapnel on both sides of the pipes. I am pretty sure it is going to need new pipes, muffler, a/f sensor, cat. converter. Basically a whole new exhaust system. Since I have a CA vehicle, I have two cats. and he didn't take the other one because I am pretty sure it was too much of a hassle for him. After I get my rig back, I am definitely bringing it to a weld shop and see what they can do for me. The sad thing is, I just can't wrap my head around why people are going around doing this. F!@#$ crack heads, cranksters, and meth heads.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:42 PM

So just got a call back from the dealer and the total cost to replace everything, parts and labor for a stolen rear cat. converter...........$3,200........

Thank god my insurance will cover it, that's after draining $500 out of pocket. The worst part is, timing....I have to renew my insurance within the next month. I am no genius but I am pretty sure my rate will either stay the same or worse go up. I was hoping that it would go down since I have no ticket, no accidents, none of that for a whole year or so. So much for that dream
Old 06-29-2008, 03:02 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss, my was stolen about 2 months ago. I wouldn't worry about your insurance going up though, it would be considered a Comprehensive loss not collision. It would "likely" only go up if you have had 2 prior losses in the previous 3 years. Even then they normally only raise your deductible or not offer comp any longer.

I work for an insurance company so I know how these things work. I said "likely" because every company has different underwriting rules.

Originally Posted by 2000t4rAKS
So just got a call back from the dealer and the total cost to replace everything, parts and labor for a stolen rear cat. converter...........$3,200........

Thank god my insurance will cover it, that's after draining $500 out of pocket. The worst part is, timing....I have to renew my insurance within the next month. I am no genius but I am pretty sure my rate will either stay the same or worse go up. I was hoping that it would go down since I have no ticket, no accidents, none of that for a whole year or so. So much for that dream
Old 06-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000t4rAKS
Good Lord, I don't know who is ripping you off more, the crackhead that took your cat or the dealer. I'd go to a good muffler shop and get an estimate there after you get your insurance payment.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Toe Cutter
Sorry to hear about your loss, my was stolen about 2 months ago. I wouldn't worry about your insurance going up though, it would be considered a Comprehensive loss not collision. It would "likely" only go up if you have had 2 prior losses in the previous 3 years. Even then they normally only raise your deductible or not offer comp any longer.

I work for an insurance company so I know how these things work. I said "likely" because every company has different underwriting rules.
Phew....that's good to know. This is my first loss for this kind of stuff. Yea, whenever I get a chance, I am going to talk to my insurance company and ask them about that specifically. Supposedly, it is going around ALOT because my insurance lady told me that some guy in So. Cal got his cat. converter ripped off as well, ten minutes after I called to report mine.

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Good Lord, I don't know who is ripping you off more, the crackhead that took your cat or the dealer. I'd go to a good muffler shop and get an estimate there after you get your insurance payment.
Yea, I am thinking about it. When it happened, I was going to bring it to David, (toytech76, he is on this forum) But the only problem with that is, he is pretty far from my residence, about 40 miles and I didn't wanna get raped from the towing charges. The dude that literally ripped my cat must have been a rookie because he didn't cut the pipes cleanly so that at least I could re-use the stock piping. No no no, he used some sort of a clamp and mangled everything down there. As for parts, I am looking at a new cat, muffler, piping, and the rear O2 or A/F sensor. Then there is the labor so I could see this adding up but $3200 seems a little high for me. Anyway, it's at Maita Toyota now. By the way, anyone on this forum in the Sacramento area worked with Maitas service department before? I buy parts from them when I do my own maintenance but haven't dealt with them SERVICE wise. Any input would be highly appreciated.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cat Clamp

Quick Reply: catalytic converter stolen