Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

catalytic converter stolen

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, it seems real easy to steal catalytic convertor. My vw corrado's cat has a hole in it and it's loud as hell.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:36 AM
NHS

We just had a custermer come in this week with there honda odyssey. They left there van at the bus station for 2 weeks. Went too start and vrmmm vrmmm was wicked loud. They used a saw or something. Cut the thing right out. Craziest thing I have seen.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:23 PM

I just had mine stolen last night. I did a web search and it looks like this has become a trend for 90's toyota pickups & suv's:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...0/ai_n16143183

I called the dealer today and they want over $800 for a bolt in replacement cat. I was able to find an after market bolt in for $119 at a local parts store so will give that a try tonight.

Given the apparent prevalence of this theft, does any one have any ideas on how to prevent this in the future? I've thought of welding it in but some of the articles I read say the theives will just cut them out when they are welded in.

I like the idea of replacing the cat with a test tube / straight pipe so there is nothing to steal - any drawbacks on engine performance, noise, etc if this is done?
Old 12-19-2007, 04:29 PM

check your local junk yard. bet thats where it was taken. alot of junk yards require a sign in sheet to be filled out for anyone that drops off junk and this usually means photo id as a part of the sign in!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by orangepeel
check your local junk yard. bet thats where it was taken. alot of junk yards require a sign in sheet to be filled out for anyone that drops off junk and this usually means photo id as a part of the sign in!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've heard they are taken for the metal that can be scraped out of them.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They take them because they have copper inside. Go check out the price you get for recycling copper.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:22 PM

I manage a body shop in the bay area and we've had a few Tacomas and 4runners (as well as other SUV's) that have come in for this reason. Pickups and SUV's sit higher off the ground so it's easier for crooks to access the Cat. The reason they steal them from newer vehicles is because they can sell them to anyone in need of one for less than the dealer or a muffler shop would charge for a new one. Retail on a new Cat for a Tacoma is over $700. Street value $250-$300. I don't think they steal them for the "precious metal" inside... I read that stuff is only worth $80 on average. Not to mention the time it takes to cut that stuff out...
Old 12-19-2007, 05:40 PM

junk yards give good money for them american cats can pull $100 and some forgien will go for about $300
Old 12-19-2007, 05:45 PM

you can get good money from the junk yard american cats will pull $100 some foriegn one will get $300. if you didn't live in cali you could pull it off and junk it yourself but you have those dumbass emissions laws
Old 12-19-2007, 05:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by orangepeel
you can get good money from the junk yard american cats will pull $100 some foriegn one will get $300. if you didn't live in cali you could pull it off and junk it yourself but you have those dumbass emissions laws
Yeah, dumbass emissions laws.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:49 PM

So I got the bolt in aftermarket cat and it seems like it is too short. The new cat is about 17" the space where the old cat was is about 21". I can get it to about 20" if I pull the muffler in on its hangers.

I went back to the shop I got the cat from to make sure I got the right one, we went through their catalog and all the after market bolt in cats for the 3VZE are around 17" I'm pretty sure I have stock exhaust so I can't figure out why the difference on my truck - any ideas?
Old 12-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Freakin California....... that wouldn't never happen here in Idaho, we r taking them off just for fun.... a thief couldn't get anyone to pay for one here...
Old 12-20-2007, 12:56 PM

Sorry also just have the muffler shop weld in an extra length of pipe.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

We had somebody going around at night with a battery power Saw-z-all and cutting them off, They got 5 or so a night for almost a week before they were caught.

I took an old cat i had from an 88 toyota pickup to the scrapper and they wrote me a check for $85 no questions asked and i didn't have to sign anything or prove it was mine.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

the best way to prevent your CAT. from being stolen:

REMOVE IT, i dont have one, or a muffler. just a resignating chamber, the cops pull me over, its a new age CAT!!!!!!!!! they can't argue, cause they dont know. If you live in Alberta, Canada, you dont need regular checks, its so nice, you can do ANYTHING you want and no one cares.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 AM

A reputable welding and fabrication company in Toledo, OH has a new patented theft deterrent designed just for catalytic converters. It makes too much work for thieves in a hurry. The Catclamp is the only security system on the market designed exclusively to fight catalytic converter theft. It was in Newsweek Online on January 09, 2008. Go to Catclamp.com, the Catclamp is much cheaper than repairing a vehicle after catalytic converter theft.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 AM

all cats have platinum. old and new.

you can has a cat clamp

http://www.catclamp.com/catclamp.asp

but this is defeated by people just above moron level.

the real fix is to weld a grid of rebar all around your cats
and as much pipe in front and back. make it dangle below
as far as a skidplate and you will be fine. then the sawzall idiot
will have to cut 12 times before they can even get to the cat.

pita, but this will cost you 80 bucks vs 1000 for new cats
Old 05-14-2008, 05:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
the best way to prevent your CAT. from being stolen:

REMOVE IT, i dont have one, or a muffler. just a resignating chamber, the cops pull me over, its a new age CAT!!!!!!!!! they can't argue, cause they dont know. If you live in Alberta, Canada, you dont need regular checks, its so nice, you can do ANYTHING you want and no one cares.

I'm sure Mother Earth appreciates that....we all have to breathe the same air no matter where you live...Belize, Canada, Russia......just keep that in mind
Old 05-14-2008, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by EWAYota
They take them because they have copper inside. Go check out the price you get for recycling copper.

incorrect.

While copper can be used, its use is illegal in North America due to the formation of dioxin.

Platinum is the most active catalyst
Palladium and rhodium are two other precious metals that are used.

Cerium, iron, manganese and nickel are also used

Nickel is not legal for use in the European Union (due to reaction with carbon monoxide).
Old 05-14-2008, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
I'm sure Mother Earth appreciates that....we all have to breathe the same air no matter where you live...Belize, Canada, Russia......just keep that in mind
Uggg...

Seriously, I should sue the State of California because they have made the requirements so strict to pass emissions that all these vehicles have to have these types of components that are highly sought after on relatively cheap vehicles (Toyotas?) that tweekers are stealing them to support their bad habbit that they brought on themselves by taking the first hit and the government wants the tax payer to foot their bill when they OD and go into the emergency room just to be released to steal another catalytic converter and OD again.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Quick Reply: catalytic converter stolen