Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

catalytic converter stolen

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha, when they steal mine they will be surprised by a completely hollowed cat.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Husker_Runner
Dude at work sent an e-mail about a month ago about his cat. being hacked off on his 2nd gen 4runner. We had 4 separate office buildings and between each one are parking spots. He was walking from 1 building to another for a meeting and heard a sawing sound and didn't think much of it. Then an alarm goes off and he noticed it was his 4runner. He walks over and sees this guy pull out from bottom of his runner, take off and jump into a GMC Jimmy.
This was in the middle of the day between 2 office buildings and lots of feet traffic. Crazy .
I never herd of them stealing airbags.

If I saw the guy who stole my cat. I WOULD HAVE KILLED HIM ON THE SPOT NO KIDDING!!
Old 12-26-2008, 06:54 PM

I feel your pain. My dad got his cat stolen off his t100.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:05 PM

i dont have to worry about mine being stolen.... someone did that a while back to the PO. i've just got a piece of exhaust pipe welded in
Old 06-24-2010, 08:31 AM

San Marcos Texas got hit again this week. Sunday night apartment complexes got hit, the police officer who was at my complex said mine was the 8th Tacoma/4Runner that has been hit.

They were cut off, not unbolted.

Trying to sort out my replacement options.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

Jut get an el cheapo ebay Cat, $50 and you are good to go.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:34 PM

Something to try

hey, new to the forum, but was wondering if anyone had thought about have a chain spot welded along the exhaust pipeing. Just from the bottom portion of the manifold to the bolts for the muffler. I was thinking that if you took the chain the length of the pipeing and have each link spot welded that it would be pretty difficult to cut thru and wouldn't be that expensive. Just from the bottom portion of the manifold to were the muffler bolts of to the piping comming from the catalytic convertors. Thoughts? I'm thinking of having this done.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:41 PM

wow i guess i live in too small of town. i never heard of a cat being stoled from a rig. that sucks.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:53 PM

well me and my dad own a junk yard so this is all common for me to see... we buy them but were not near any of yall lol and the best thing to do is to go to your local junk yard(s) and see if anyone has an empty converter laying around they will sell you they should only charge about 10 bucks for one and put it on (much better then 119) and also cats go for 6-120 bucks or atleast thats what we pay for them each is different bc of how much platium, platinum, and also a little gold in them!
Old 11-18-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by raddude666
well me and my dad own a junk yard so this is all common for me to see... we buy them but were not near any of yall lol
Thanks for supporting all of the meth heads out there, and helping this trend to grow. Please do not pay anyone for a converter that they clearly stole.

Mine got stolen today at work, and a guy who works from me (and wheels with me) got his stolen last week on his 99 Tacoma.

-Dan
Old 01-25-2011, 09:41 PM

I too fell victim to a cat thief today. Upon starting up my '99 this morning, sounded like a derby car. Filed a police report and 4 other Toyota's were hit too last night.

Must be the price of scrap metal has gone up and the crack heads are cashing in on our vehicle parts.

I'm pissed.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 PM

bought my truck cat was stopped up making it run bad cut it off i was all excited thinking i would get some money back out of my truck ... well i got got 5 bucks for it at the scrap yard cause it was already aftermarket so mabye if you replace it with an after market cat they wont want to steal it lol
btw runs great now replaced it with a straight pipe has not set off the engine light or anything but i have no emmisions check here
Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

LOL, i would love to see someone go to all that work cutting mine out only to look inside and find empty space!
Old 01-26-2011, 09:25 AM

someone took mine about two months ago. The local shop put a new one on for CHEAP and even threw in a muffler for free....scumbags probably took it themselves.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:49 AM

i've heard of this problem locally as well. someone come up with a theft deterent, like 10,000 volts of electricity when they touch it. or maybe start going dexter morgan on these fools. just kidding, i just really don't like thieves. i had most of my tools stolen a few years ago and i'm still very bitter about it if you couldn't tell.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by spokane.yota.man
i've heard of this problem locally as well. someone come up with a theft deterent, like 10,000 volts of electricity when they touch it. or maybe start going dexter morgan on these fools. just kidding, i just really don't like thieves. i had most of my tools stolen a few years ago and i'm still very bitter about it if you couldn't tell.
Ditto, had all my tools stolen a few years ago as well, STILL have not replaced half of it.

We can legally shoot someone that is breaking into or stealing from our cars or homes in Texas, the next one that tries it will be in for a surprise.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Ditto, had all my tools stolen a few years ago as well, STILL have not replaced half of it.

We can legally shoot someone that is breaking into or stealing from our cars or homes in Texas, the next one that tries it will be in for a surprise.
I don't care if its legal or not where I live, if I would have caught them in the act they would have regretted it. I haven't replaced them all either, every time I start a project on a vehicle I have to go buy a tool that I use to own, that sucks.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:49 PM

Most of the Cats I've seen stolen were removed with a chainwrench pipecutter. When we first started to see it the thieves were using a sawsall, but that makes alot of noise; the pipe cutter is quick and quiet.
I was always very concious about where I parked my 4runner. After I put the lift on it I began to worry more about it, to the point of paying for a rental car from my work to go take my ASE tests, since the test location was not in the greatest part of San Jose. You should of seen the look on the girls face in charge of the rental cars when I told her I was worried about my cat getting stolen; I don't think she was thinking catalytic converter, lol.
Since then I've welded a chunk of rebar to the pipe directly in front of and behind the cat. If they want mine, they'll have to use a sawsall, and spend the extra amount of time to cut through the rebar. Of course they could just unbolt it, but that takes extra time too.
It's a simple deterent that I think makes most move on to an easier target.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SchooBaka
Most of the Cats I've seen stolen were removed with a chainwrench pipecutter. When we first started to see it the thieves were using a sawsall, but that makes alot of noise; the pipe cutter is quick and quiet.
Since then I've welded a chunk of rebar to the pipe directly in front of and behind the cat. If they want mine, they'll have to use a sawsall, and spend the extra amount of time to cut through the rebar. Of course they could just unbolt it, but that takes extra time too.
It's a simple deterent that I think makes most move on to an easier target.
That's some new info, thanks.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
cat just stolen today, hate my life..... limited on pink salmon tho, not too bad of deal... $200 cat, you tweekers suck...

Quick Reply: catalytic converter stolen