Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can i tow this 200 miles? pic inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used my 92 xcab to pull a 12 foot Uhaul trailer all the way across the country a few years ago. Was totally fine, but a) was damn careful, and b) the truck bed was filled with stuff, adding a lot of weight. Up the rockies (verrrrryyyyy slow) and down the other side no problem. Sure as hell wouldn't do it again, as it was exhausting ... not least because of the whining, drugged out cat in the back seat.

For 200 miles of flat terrain, you're fine. Just a) go slow, b) put weight in the back of the truck, and c) don't do it if it's windy out.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...and yes, UHaul totally blows...
Old 06-23-2009, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i tow one 4runner with my hilux "4runner" with a small turbo diesel..
that is the biggest load i would ever tow.. and i still have lots of spool left in er but it just wouldnt be safe.. which was also a main reason besides the solid axle i went down to a suzuki play rig..

id rent a truck or pay someone to tow it... or ask someone to use there 1 ton... dont know any landscapers?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
doesn't anyone bother to read a thread anymore or do they just jump at the chance to post a response
the OP posted this the first week of may

Originally Posted by tigertowncruiser
ok thanks guys , i came to my senses, I am not going to tow or buy the boat. I am looking for a smaller bowrider now so i can do watersports. I could probably borrow a better tow vehicle but then i still have to go to the ramp and back every time i go out and this big of a boat is too much hassle... I was considering this boat basically as a party boat to take out on the lake. I am now on the look again lol
Old 06-23-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Parker Runner
I agree if you had a trailer controller. Hit that and the trailer will straighten out. In the absence of a controller, all you have is the trailer brakes.

I guess my assumption is that most people inspect the trailer, get the surge brakes to engage...etc.

That trailer is pretty heavy, without a payload. Add in some books into the nose and your done.

Getting on the brakes if you get swing works-with this type of trailer (and the brakes work). I can't say exactly why, but it does.
you have to seriously stop giving people trailering advice. even with a surge brake you do not stomp on the brakes!! pull the e-brake (not hard) so its just your rear braking that will activate the surge brakes and stop the trailer from swaying.

btw : have fun towing your 2600lbs trailer of your motocarier
Old 06-23-2009, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by xjdubber
you have to seriously stop giving people trailering advice. even with a surge brake you do not stomp on the brakes!! pull the e-brake (not hard) so its just your rear braking that will activate the surge brakes and stop the trailer from swaying.

btw : have fun towing your 2600lbs trailer of your motocarier
Prove

Me

Wrong.

I had that trailer and that situation. Go ahead and pull the ebrake at 60 MPH. Wait for the brake pads to glaze over in about two seconds while the trailer is swinging even more wildly.

Then while your rear brakes are now shot, then try to slow down.

Go ahead.

Send pictures.
Old 06-24-2009, 03:28 AM

I tow my brothers Bass Tracker boat (less than 2,000 pounds) and my 99 Limited hates it.

I love my 4Runner , but it's not a tow vehicle. THere's no way I would tow the boat in the picture with a 3rd gen 4Runner.

My 2 cents.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Parker Runner
Prove

Me

Wrong.

I had that trailer and that situation. Go ahead and pull the ebrake at 60 miles per hour. Wait for the brake pads to glaze over in about two seconds while the trailer is swinging even more wildly.

Then while your rear brakes are now shot, then try to slow down.

Go ahead.

Send pictures.
I really dont need to prove you wrong, I know im right. Do you know how surge brakes work? They activate by the weight of the trailer pushing up against the ball of of the car/truck towing it, thereby pushing in a hydraulic cylinder and activating the brakes. any slowing down of the vehicle will do this. But if you get on the brakes hard front and rear (which is what most people will do!) and lock them up while the trailer is swaying hard and at an angle behind your car/truck. it will then not activate the surge brakes properly and you will be screwed because the trailer is pushing at your rear end at an angle. (especially when you tow traillers of a 4ft motocarier like you do)

btw if you can glaze over your e-brake in about two secconds you need to get some better pads.

Last edited by xjdubber; 06-24-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 AM

Wow...you guys ever pulled the ebrake on your car before? You do 180 degree turn quick...real quick. I wouldn't EVER EVER EVER pull my ebrake without a trailer, let alone with a loaded trailer or boat, etc. You're asking to die.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
please do not risk it.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tigertowncruiser
ok thanks guys , i came to my senses, I am not going to tow or buy the boat. I am looking for a smaller bowrider now so i can do watersports. I could probably borrow a better tow vehicle but then i still have to go to the ramp and back every time i go out and this big of a boat is too much hassle... I was considering this boat basically as a party boat to take out on the lake. I am now on the look again lol
Hey guys!! Did you read this guys post?? He decided NOT to buy the boat so he's not going to tow it neither!! Totally gr8, 23 posts after he posts the above declaration "I came to my senses" I think its a moot point, but at least he came here to get "educated" by our sterling panel of experts! I love Yota Tech!
Old 06-24-2009, 02:39 PM

We were having a perfectly good argument until you ruined it with that post!
Old 06-24-2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by terrybo3
Wow...you guys ever pulled the ebrake on your car before? You do 180 degree turn quick...real quick. I wouldn't EVER EVER EVER pull my ebrake without a trailer, let alone with a loaded trailer or boat, etc. You're asking to die.

Im not saying to yank on it.....
Old 06-26-2009, 08:39 AM

I put a tranny cooler on my brothers runner in like 15 min you spice it into existing lines and for time sake you ziptie it up and add more fluid should not take long. You could tow it fine if it has surge brakes which it should and you go SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW get the picture.