Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

california smog laws...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
california smog laws...

if i get an 85 runner it will just be my trial rig and i dont feel like making/paying for it to pass smog every 2 years....is there a legal way to get around this for a trail rig.....btw i will occasionally drive it so towing it is out of the question....what can i do?????????
Old 12-07-2004, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're going to drive it, you need to register it, which means you have to smog it.

I only know of two ways out for smog... the vehicle is either a lot older than your rig, or you've already blown more money on trying to fix it than the reasonable repair limit they have.

I think yer gonna have to suck it up and smog it...
Old 12-07-2004, 09:40 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Shouldn't be very hard to keep the 85 able to pass smog, unless the motor is just shot. What does it cost to get it inspected? If you can afford a trail rig (tires,mods,insurance,etc) couldn't you afford the certs?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

A smog certificate in CA is only $8 iirc, but it ends up costing around $50 to get a smog check every two years..not a biggie for me.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:50 PM

its not the problem of paying 52 bucks...its paying it a couple times if it doesnt pass first time.....
Old 12-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
many smog shops (not all) will give you a free retest if you don't pass the first time...
Old 12-07-2004, 03:01 PM

oh...thanks i never knew that!!! ill have to look for one of those shops...
Old 12-07-2004, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jared Ajlouny
oh...thanks i never knew that!!! ill have to look for one of those shops...
what year do trucks have to be to not need to get smoged?
Old 12-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jared Ajlouny
what year do trucks have to be to not need to get smoged?
71 and older, I THINK...

Do you know if your county has Smog Check II? If it does, I'd be very leary of putting it into the system unless you're somewhat certain it'll pass. I'm not entirely certain about the system, but if you're labeled as a "gross polluter" you'll be locked out of the system.

Some places too free pre-tests...

Last edited by User 051420; 12-07-2004 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gapguy
71 and older, I THINK...
Close The vehicle has to be 30 years or older to qualify for smog exemption. So as of this year, it'd have to be made in 1974 or older.

Remember, California leads the country in ridiculously stupid laws and restrictions, so getting around smog isn't an option unless you either get something 30 years old or older, or pay someone off to pass you.

Also, CA only recognizes dune buggies, dirt bikes, and ATV's as "off-road" vehicles, therefore they have less strict smog requirements. Trucks don't qualify, even if you tow it and only drive it off road.

Check out the DMV website for CA, it's actually very informative.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
There was a rolling 30 year old exemption until this year when that was frozen, so '74 and older is exempt, but next year, '75 won't automatically become exempt, DOH!

If you don't drive on the road, there is a "Green Sticker" license you can get, lots of dirtbikes, ATVs and dune buggies go that route. But its not street legal and also restricts you to a subset of off-road trails (many do not allow green sticker driving).

And yes, many smog check places are free retest or some offer pre-testing. You pay up front, they test your vehicle off-line, if it looks good, they hook up and run the official test, if not, you can go off and make needed repairs and return for additional pre-tests as needed (no additional cost). Nice thing is if you are way off, you don't get flagged as a gross polluter which would happen if you fail a real test badly.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 12-07-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
There was a rolling 30 year old exemption until this year when that was frozen, so '74 and older is exempt, but next year, '75 won't automatically become exempt, DOH!

If you don't drive on the road, there is a "Green Sticker" license you can get, lots of dirtbikes, ATVs and dune buggies go that route. But its not <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=11&k=street%20legal" onmouseover="window.status='street legal'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">street legal</a> and also restricts you to a subset of off-road trails (many do not allow green sticker driving).

And yes, many smog check places are free retest or some offer pre-testing. You pay up front, they test your vehicle off-line, if it looks good, they hook up and run the official test, if not, you can go off and make needed repairs and return for additional pre-tests as needed (no additional cost). Nice thing is if you are way off, you don't get flagged as a gross polluter which would happen if you fail a real test badly.
thanks for the info...awesome runner by the way!!!!!!!1 i want one soooo bad!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

The 30 year rule is not true in AZ or NV it is a very common MISCONCEPTION. Any vehicle built after 1967 MUST have smog. Every few years the smog rules for new cars are changed by the Feds, ie they change what equipment the vehicle needs and what the acceptable levels of NOX and SOX can come out of the tailpipe. a 70 or 71 has far different smog requirements than a 2003. I know that only generally high population counties in a given state have smog rules and require emissions, only Maricopa in AZ and only Clark and Washoe in NV.

That being said, CA has the strictest laws for smog in the entire union, start with the base federal regulations for all vehicles then add more smog equipment and bingo you have a CA compliant car. I think most car builders recently have been building all there cars to meed the CA smog requirements, not sure though. I think all cars in the state of CA registered for use on roads must have smog stuff.

Your best bet would be to see what smog stuff was on ther on the original manufacture date. Make sure all the parts are there and functional, get the truck tuned, and you should be golden!

Smog is somewhat of a useful tool, if you are spewing out lots of NOX and CO then the combustion process may not be efficient, therefore mileage and power suffer.