Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

California Dual Cats.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamie,

The problem that I had was that the instructions that were sent with my simulator were incorrect. The version number did not match the most up to date version of the instructions, thus I installed the sim using the wrong wires. I drove for about 15 miles and threw a code right away. Went to the dealer, pulled the code (can't remember which one it was), got in touch with Gadget and after a series of emails found out the instructions were incorrect.

Went back in, reinstalled and resoldered the wires that had been incorrectly spliced and everything has been kosher since.

I believe the correct version number of the instructions is v. 1.1 but I am not positive.

Fink
Old 11-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Went back in, reinstalled and resoldered the wires that had been incorrectly spliced and everything has been kosher since.

Very cool to know, glad it was so simple and thanks for posting the update!

This would be a huge help to all the people with cali spec trucks, looking at a P0420 code and have nothing left to change but the cats (ie they did the front/rear O2 sensors and MAF already and still no go). Not sure if the inspection stations look for that type of stuff though.....would be a good thing to try anyway.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 11-13-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Erich, the simulator is for the rear O2 sensor not the front. Whenever you get the P0420 code it is always wise to start by replacing all three sensors which have been known to cause that code (front/rear O2 and MAF sensors......usually start with 1) replacing the front O2 or A/F sensor, then 2) rear O2 sensor, then 3) MAF) as well as checking for exhaust leaks before the cat. If you have done all this and still can't get the CEL to vanish, then you can resort to the O2 simulator.
Your right MTL, I fully understand that. You've lined out an even more proactive and thorough plan of attack . There are a lot of people who ask what the cheapest way to fix the CEL is. I got around my CEL by just replacing the front sensor, but then I replaced the MAF last year because it was running lean.

Erich
Old 11-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Okay guys...now, I must preface...I have never been a believer in the paranormal, or ghosts or UFO's or any of that crap but I tell ya, after today...I am getting closer.

I had just got done posting in this thread about my O2 simulator and how it's been working great and I love it and yada yada yada, I get in my car and head for class. I get about 5 miles into my commute and my check engine light comes on. I say some explicit words as I am confused and carry on to class.

Go to the dealer, pull the code....

P0136 - Bank 1 Sensor 2...

WTF?

The only thing that I did different today than any other day as far as my Runner goes is I cleaned it out real well, cleaned out the center console, emptied my glove box. But there is no way that messing with my glove box made this happen.

What are your thoughts? I cleared the CEL and have not driven it since but I'm about to go for a drive to see if it comes back on.

I will post back and let ya know if it reappears.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 11-13-2006 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

Fink, that is your front O2 sensor.....when did you change it last, I forget?

*EDIT* that code is the rear sensor NOT the front sensor!!!

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 04-13-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

According to the dealer this was the O2 sensor behind the cat...hmm? Not to insult your knowledge Jamie but it IS the FRONT O2 sensor?

If that's the case I have never replaced it...lol...sounds silly but I assumed with the O2 sim that I wouldn't need to.

If that's the case then this is an easy problem to fix...the CEL has not come back on yet and I have driven probably 20 miles or so since I reset it.

Thanks man,

Fink
Old 11-14-2006, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

P0136 - O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

Fink, Holy Heck I must have been in a rush last night when I wrote that.
Yes, you/dealer are totally correct, it is the REAR O2 sensor not the front one.

With you running the sim, I'd just reset like you did and see if it comes back. If it does, then I would probably replace it (as far as I understood the sim is just an inline signal conditioner, but it doesn't take the place of the rear O2 sensor). You might also ping Gadget and see if he's seen that code pop up with people running the simulator too.....and if so, what was the fix? My bet would be that the rear O2 was either bad or on its way to going bad.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 11-14-2006 at 04:53 AM.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

I'm hoping it stays off...if it doesn't then I will hit up Gadget and see what he recommends.

I was under the assumption that as long as the O2 sim was there I didn't as long as I had a sensor plugged in it would be fine, working or not. If that's not the case, easy fix.

I'll see what happens in the next few days or so and post back.

Hey, this is off topic but I've been trying to get some recommendations on a video card for my computer...I have a thread going in the Electronics section, post up if you guys have any thoughts.

The thread is titled "New mobo and CPU combo"

Thanks,

Fink
Old 11-16-2006, 10:13 PM

Okay guys...now, I must preface...I have never been a believer in the paranormal, or ghosts or UFO's or any of that crap but I tell ya, after today...I am getting closer.

I had just got done posting in this thread about my O2 simulator and how it's been working great and I love it and yada yada yada, I get in my car and head for class. I get about 5 miles into my commute and my check engine light comes on. I say some explicit words as I am confused and carry on to class.

Go to the dealer, pull the code....

P0136 - Bank 1 Sensor 2...

WTF?

The only thing that I did different today than any other day as far as my Runner goes is I cleaned it out real well, cleaned out the center console, emptied my glove box. But there is no way that messing with my glove box made this happen.

What are your thoughts? I cleared the CEL and have not driven it since but I'm about to go for a drive to see if it comes back on.

I will post back and let ya know if it reappears.

Fink
Fink, I think your gremlin is contagious!

I had my CEL throw P0420 this morning! (P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

I think it has to do something with the snow. It did the EXACT same thing a year ago in the snow on the way to work I cleared it tonight, so we'll see what happens tomorrow

Put my new wheels on too

Erich
Old 11-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Contributing Member

Haha...well mine hasn't come back yet so I'm hoping it was just a fluke and it won't.

Hopefully yours will do the same, since its happened before I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Let us know,

New wheels and no pics??

Fink
Old 11-17-2006, 10:19 AM

Haha...well mine hasn't come back yet so I'm hoping it was just a fluke and it won't.

Hopefully yours will do the same, since its happened before I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Let us know,

New wheels and no pics??

Fink
Well, so far so good, no CEL this morning.

Here's the pics
Black Wheeler's Off-Road Alloy Wheels

Erich
Old 11-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I heard the simulator only works if you have a WORKING rear O2 sensor in place.

IIRC the only code the simulator takes care of is P0420.