Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bushwhackers are on!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 01:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bushwhackers are on!

Finally got a chance to put my Bushwhackers on yesterday. The install was pretty straightforward. I really like how they look on my truck but the factory stripe definitly has to go now. What do you guys think? Drove in the rain today and the truck stayed clean instead of getting covered in road grime right away. Also before whenever I hit a puddle with any size the water would come right into your face and blind you when it hit the windshield. Doesn't do that anymore neither. Good looks and they actually function... Ye haw.. Was pretty ironic that the guy in the stall next to me was installing a SC on an 02 Runner. We became friends real fast! The company he got it from screwed up and sent him two so he's looking to sell the other one.. Probably for a good price. I turned him on to Yotatech and sounded like he would sign up. I am finally not a SC virgin anymore.. the sound of that whine is AWESOME!! You guys are some lucky SOB's.. Where's my 3.0 SC ???? ya right Here's the pics!

Old 01-19-2003, 02:08 AM

Looking Good UK.....doesn't it just improve the 4R's stance? I can't even picture my 4R w/o the Bushwackers anymore...Can't believe I waited so long to put them on. It makes the 4R just a little more tough looking.

Have any leads on some quality (f and r) mudflaps yet or are you gonna just mod up your old rear ones like some of the other 2G owners?
Old 01-19-2003, 03:28 AM
Contributing Member

:eek: :eek: looking goooood Joey!! you are on your way to making it look like Coreys..whats next?? an ARB when you get back to the states?
Old 01-19-2003, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Have any leads on some quality (f and r) mudflaps yet
Well that's a good question. On the front I bought the flaps off of a truck for $41 a piece from Toyota:eek: They bolt right on though and look like they are supposed to be there. As for the back I am going to compare my flares with the factory ones that come on the UK spec runners. If they are same width I am going to get a set of UK spec flaps and cut my bushwhackers off right where they butt up with the chrome bumper ends in the back. It'll be a sweet set up if it works out the way I am hoping it will.

whats next?? an ARB when you get back to the states?
Naw I am kinda partial to Chrome.. bling bling I am saving the ARB for my Toy project truck when I get back though!!
Old 01-19-2003, 05:00 AM

Ahh the base auto-hobby shop, I can't count count the hours I've spent in those. And even though it's so nice to have my own garage and tools now, I do miss sometimes the bs'ing whenever you're there. Flares look good Myers.

Last edited by Wild_Bill; 01-19-2003 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:04 AM

I FEEL YA JOEY!

Where's my 3.0 SC ????
no kidding! SOMEONE needs to reckognize our NEEDS!
btw, love the bushwhackers, cant wait till my paychecks start rolling in (hehe) so i can get my lift and a set of the flares!
Old 01-19-2003, 05:10 AM
Contributing Member

Mike I'm impressed you knew that's where that was just by the pic. That place is great beings I really don't own any tools yet other than just your basic stuff. They have everything imaginable there!! Lifts, jacks, air tools, welding room. All for one low low price of $3 an hour!! Gotta love it. Plus it's entertaining watching guys change their oil in their Tommy Hilfiger gear...cracks me up the clothes some people where to work on their rigs..it's obvious some of them don't have a clue what they are doing!!
Old 01-19-2003, 05:57 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up

Looking very nice Joey.
Did you pull your tires off to do this, or did you have access to one of those drills with the angled head?

Bushwackers on a 2nd gen really improve the stance as was mentioned.
Still in my top two favorite all time mods.

Again, they look sharp.
When are you are going to attack the stripes?
Old 01-19-2003, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks Great

Nice job! Those look really good. I agree, the stripes have to go. Do I smell a write-up?
Old 01-19-2003, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Man, those flares look good. It changes the whole look of the truck.

Are the factory stripes painted or are they decals? Hopefully they are decals and you can take them right off with a heat gun.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Corey I took off each tire one at a time to drill the holes. Wasn't too bad.. had to coax them a few times to get them where I wanted them. Tomus they are a decal... think a good hairdryer would get hot enough to get them to peel??Hope so cuz I have no clue where to get a heat gun at.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by UKMyers
Mike I'm impressed you knew that's where that was just by the pic.
Mike? Hehe who's Mike? Actually I meant to type Myers at the end of that post but the fingers put in Mike. Anyway been in the Air Force 12 yrs and seen my share of hobby shops, plus I knew you were in th af too, 2+2=4, or 1+1=Mike, or something.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:12 AM

Ive got mine in the back of my truck ready for install
How bad were the screws? They scare me a little since im going into the sheet metal.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

The poor man's heat gun, a hair dryer.

It will take a little time, but I think a Hair dryer should work.

Now you need to update your avitar with the new look.

Those TRD All Terrain stickers are a nice look too. The only ones that I can remember seeing are the Off-Road ones. Where did you get them?
Old 01-19-2003, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

the only problem with using a hair dryer is that they tend to overheat and quit working , they arent made for constent use like a heat gun is . get on ebay and see about getting one shipped over to where your at , or jsut leave them till you get back stateside.

again for the trd stickers ive seen a ton on ebay.

erik b of oregon
Old 01-19-2003, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Responder I sent you a PM...Noel the TRD decals are Ebay specials.. I thought the "All Terrain" was better for an SUV than Offroad. Luke has the same ones on his UK spec runner.
Old 01-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

Those flare are sooo awesome! I'm looking forward to when I get some. Do the stock rear mudflaps work with those? From the above posts, it souns like it doesn't. Just wanted to make sure. What size flares did you get (they do have different sizes, right?). Very nice looking on your 4Runner.

I'd remove that stripe. If it were grey or black, then I would probably keep it, but blue doesn't really match your flares. I'm planing on replacing mine with one of those silver and grey (I think that's the other color) ones from toyota. I'm thinking about painting my flares silver to match. I saw a truck a while back painted like that, and it was awesome.

Originally posted by UKMyers
Corey I took off each tire one at a time to drill the holes. Wasn't too bad.. had to coax them a few times to get them where I wanted them. Tomus they are a decal... think a good hairdryer would get hot enough to get them to peel??Hope so cuz I have no clue where to get a heat gun at.
I tried a hair dryer on mine. It didn't work that great. I got about an inch done in about 20 minutes. Then I had to go back over it with some bumper sticker remover to get the rest of the gunk off. I didn't finish it. I'm going to borrow a friends heat gun when I get the chance to ask him. Do they have a heat gun in that garage you were at?

Well, have fun.
DH6twinotter
Old 01-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

DH thanks for the compliments. You can't use the stock mudflaps or runningboards with the Bushwhackers. I know they make different type flares but the ones like Cebby and I have are the only ones I have seen on 2nd Gens. Cebbies are identical to Corey and I's but his are the matte finish and not gloss. Looks great on his dark truck. I will try the base hobby shop for the heat gun but I think they will be all shut down for MLK day tomorrow and I am swamped during the week with this 9 hour a day class I am taking Your idea for the silver stripe and painting the flares sounds like a good idea...
Old 01-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

hey, kind of off the topic, but , i noticed that spoiler or, whatever its called, above your rear window and just wondering what kind it was, and if you had more pictures of it. it looks pretty cool. the flares look awesome by the way.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:57 PM

WTG Myers! Congrats brother, gives the truck a whole new facade!