Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bump feeling/pop sound when decelerating and coming to a stop!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bump feeling/pop sound when decelerating and coming to a stop!

Hi all,

2000 4Runner SR5 with 140K miles on it.
About two months ago I got new tires..Michelin LTXs. So far the are great.
I'm not sure if it is coincidence or not but ever since I got the new tires I've been noticing something that wasn't happened before the tires.
When I'm decelerating and come to complete stop, just before the truck stops moving I hear a pop and feel a bit of a vibration. The best way I can describe it is as if someone was tapping the back of the truck. It seems like it is coming from the front of the truck but I can't tell for sure. It doesn't happen all the time...I can't seem to find any specific way to duplicate it...if I come to a harsh stop...it doesn't happen and if I come to a very very slow stop it doesn't seem to happen as much.

I've gotta get an oil change soon so I may just take it into the dealer for that and have them take it for a test ride. Just wanted to see if I could get some thoughts or ideas what it could be. If I had to live with this for the rest of my ownership (which I plan to be awhile) I could...but I know we know our trucks well and when something is happening that wasn't before we tend to wonder/worry!

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-11-2009, 07:03 PM

It has nothing to do with the tires and screw the dealer.

You need to lube up the driveshaft...buy a grease gun and get underneath your truck and grease those nipples (aka zerk fitting).

This link should help you out...

http://4runners.org/writeups/zerk/index.html

edit: The above link is courtesy of www.4runners.org ...definitely a site you want to have bookmarked if you are new to the do it yourself maintenance or to Toyota's in general. Thanks to Bob_98sr5.

Let me know if you have questions...its an easy task...I actually just did this recently myself. Its a common maintenance item.

Last edited by Skrillah; 02-11-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:09 PM

Sweet! I have a grease gun from when I had my old Mustangs!
If that is the fix I'm sure glad that is all it might be!!
I did have the driveshaft replaced about a year ago at the dealer (I drove all the way from GA to FL 9 hours and back with the darn thing vibrating!!).

That site is great...I used it when changing my plugs a few months back!

Mike
Old 02-11-2009, 07:59 PM

Yup lube the drive line. Pay special attention to the slide yokes.

Edit: i read that you grease them until you see them expand three times. youll see what I mean when you get under the truck.

Last edited by Yukon; 02-11-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:25 AM

Is the same type of grease I used to grease the A arms in my classic Stangs gonna be safe to use in the 4Runner?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 AM

Just did this to my truck last week to remedy the exact same problem (which it did). For mine, it was the slide yoke on the rear driveshaft that was the culprit.

Toyota recommends a molybdenum base grease for the slide yokes and double cardon joint, and lithium based grease for the u-joints. Check your owner's manual just to be sure, but I wouldn't expect anything different between a Runner and Tacoma with regard to their recommendations.

Last edited by jdsdj98; 02-12-2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stangman39
Sweet! I have a grease gun from when I had my old Mustangs!
If that is the fix I'm sure glad that is all it might be!!
I did have the driveshaft replaced about a year ago at the dealer (I drove all the way from GA to FL 9 hours and back with the darn thing vibrating!!).

That site is great...I used it when changing my plugs a few months back!

Mike
So you haven't lubed the driveline in the past year since you got a new driveshaft? If you do your own oil changes, you should be hitting those grease points at least every second oil change. If somebody else is changing your oil, you should be getting them to grease your driveshafts.

The driveshaft components are way to expensive to be ignoring their preventive maintenance.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jdsdj98
Just did this to my truck last week to remedy the exact same problem (which it did). For mine, it was the slide yoke on the rear driveshaft that was the culprit.

Toyota recommends a molybdenum base grease for the slide yokes and double cardon joint, and lithium based grease for the u-joints. Check your owner's manual just to be sure, but I wouldn't expect anything different between a Runner and Tacoma with regard to their recommendations.
In lieu of using two types of grease, I hit all the zerks with Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease, this should exceed all the requirements of the two types of greases recommended by the owners manual.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
So you haven't lubed the driveline in the past year since you got a new driveshaft? If you do your own oil changes, you should be hitting those grease points at least every second oil change. If somebody else is changing your oil, you should be getting them to grease your driveshafts.

The driveshaft components are way to expensive to be ignoring their preventive maintenance.
Well...I just went to lube the fittings...and maybe this is one of my reasons for hearing the sound I have been hearing....

I DON'T have any fittings to lube!!! I also don't see a double cardon joint.
Remind you this driveshaft is new...less than a year old...from the dealer. It still has the stickers on it from the dealer. I'm pretty sure they installed new U joints when they put the new driveshaft in.

What now!!?

Last edited by stangman39; 02-14-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:47 PM

1. Does the rear driveshaft have a slip yoke at the differential end?

2. You said a "dealer" replaced it - Was it a Toyota dealer, and are you certain it was an OEM replacement?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your driveshaft probably has sealed ujoints. Pretty common.

The double cardan joint should be at the transfer case. Looks like 2 ujoints connected by an H

When you do lube them, dont overfill the slip joint with grease. That can cause problems on its own. Driveshaft wont compress if you everfill it. 3 or 4 pumps is enough.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Adam F
Your driveshaft probably has sealed ujoints. Pretty common.

The double cardan joint should be at the transfer case. Looks like 2 ujoints connected by an H

When you do lube them, dont overfill the slip joint with grease. That can cause problems on its own. Driveshaft wont compress if you everfill it. 3 or 4 pumps is enough.
To answer the question from 2 posts up...I did have the shaft replaced at a Toyota dealer (and it does seem the U joints are sealed). Any time I've needed work done I didn't want to tackle myself it has gone to a true Toyota dealer. Overall the 4Runner has been great...only non regular work I've had to have done is the valve cover seals replaced and the drive shaft replaced.

I assume the transfer case is up near the trans near the middle/front of the truck? I know that sounds stupid to ask! haha! The clunk sound does seem to be coming from under the dash area of the car so hopefully once I find the cardan joint I can lube that up!
I've got my mom's '03 Mustang GT tonight since she is hearing some weird sounds too I'm tryin to duplicate so I'll check the 4Runner tomorrow and report back! Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the double cardan joint is only available on the 4WD, so if your truck is a 2WD, then it doesn't have the double cardan joint.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by KZN185W
the double cardan joint is only available on the 4WD, so if your truck is a 2WD, then it doesn't have the double cardan joint.
That explains that! No 4wd for me.

So...seems like I don't have anything to lube then??

If so...what clunk could I be hearing from the front end area? I saw on a website that there are fitting to grease for the control arms. Maybe mine need to be done?

Last edited by stangman39; 02-15-2009 at 06:45 AM.