Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

BudBuilt crossmember now installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking BudBuilt crossmember now installed

Well, here it is.. The new crossmember is in and ready for the rocks at Paragon!! The paint looks nice, but it is just Krylon spray can red.. I like it, it seem bigger but looking side by side, you can see that the new one is at least 1" lower, but the real purpose of this monster is to protect and serve.. I can not wait to give it hell and see what she will take awn.. I really like the skid plate fully wraping the transfercase.. My stock one was kinda wraped around the transfer case

Without further ado, here are the photo's...

Old 06-08-2003, 06:31 PM

that looks great. It looks pretty stout, especially compared to the OE.

How much extra HP did the decal give ya? Or is it one of those torque stickers?
Old 06-08-2003, 06:32 PM

P.S.

Love the adjustable work bench.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Nice!! I can't wait to get one. I was wheeling last weekend, and got hung up on a rock and couldn't go anywhere because of the stock crossmember. I was thinking, "OH!! If I only I had a Budbuilt!!"

I didn't realize it had some adjustability built into it. I thought it was a one piece design-- did you get something other than the standard design?
Old 06-08-2003, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

that is the very first crossmember of his new design!! I have the very first one out the door.. I am unsure of just how much "adjustment" you can give it, I think it is more to take up any bending ect.. The skid plate is really nice.. If you see that photo where the transfercase is kinda in a "bucket" that is what is normaly in the open with that little tin exhaust shield thingee under it as a skid plate (mostly useless if you ahve ever hit one.. they fold right up and around the case...) Also sweet is all the bolts on the bottom side are recessed and counter sunk allan bolts with a taperd head.. (mine are recessed about 1/16" -> 1/32" deep...
Old 06-08-2003, 08:04 PM

that is really nice, but i love your work bench
Old 06-09-2003, 04:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Firefyter-Emt
that is the very first crossmember of his new design!! I have the very first one out the door.. I am unsure of just how much "adjustment" you can give it, I think it is more to take up any bending ect..
That is just too hot, then! I didn't realize he was working on a new design. I check the website out a lot, so I guess I missed it, unless he hasn't posted anything about it yet. I'll check it out later.

That is nice though, having the bolts recessed so that the heads won't get snagged and snap off. Thanks a lot, Lee for making me want one bad!! I'm getting an exhaust this week though, so this piece will just have to wait.

Yeah, when I was talking about "adjustability", I meant more for fitting it up and taking care of any possible misalignments. I just noticed how much he slotted those holes in some of the pictures, which gives a lot of fudge factor for lining everything up.

Rock on!
Old 06-09-2003, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Jeremy... That is exactly what he did with the holes.. They allow for any problems in the factoy mount points..

PS, here is the bolts.. the first photo is the recessed transmission mount bolts, these are between the skid plate and crossmember once the skid plate is back on.. The second photo is the bolts tht retain the skid plate on.. I am pretty sure Bud said they grade 12 bolts.

Last edited by Firefyter-Emt; 06-09-2003 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:05 PM

I am pretty sure Bud said they grade 12 bolts.
Well whatever they are they're freakin' strong, Bud ships the skid (mine anyways) bolted to the crossmember with ONE of the bolts and it comes out undamaged after UPS' torture test. Lee can attest to how heavy the thing is too, no small feat for that little bolt. Bud's products rock, definitely worth the money. I'll throw in a few pics of my new dual-case crossmember if I remember tomorrow, just got it installed last weekend.

ps. nice workbench!
Old 06-10-2003, 04:12 AM
Contributing Member

I am pretty sure Bud said they grade 12 bolts.
Did you use the same grade bolts for your workbench? You must've since it's holding up all that weight!
Old 06-10-2003, 06:06 PM

Here's some pics of my BudBuilt crossmember, scroll down to the bottom.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet Shane.. But you really need to do something to that IFS if it is to stay around a while... (rear brace..) But some how I can smell a SAS lurking..

And why ya all gotta bust me on my purty workbench?? Gotta use what is on hand..

**I accept PayPal for garage donations! ** :cry:
Old 06-10-2003, 07:57 PM

But you really need to do something to that IFS if it is to stay around a while...
It's going away, very soon.