Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brand New Starter choice....

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 02:01 PM
LV_4Runner

Brand New Starter choice....

Having starting problem on my 97 SR5 4WD A/T for a year+, I think it is time to replace the starter.

Searching through this invaluable forums, I noticed that a lot of people are recommending to do "contact" service on the stock starter. However, due to some time-constraint, I prefer to just replace it with brand new one.

Then, my point is that, "if Denso unit has such prevail contact problem, what about other brand???" Such as Bosch or something. I mean Brand New Aftermarket Bosch (No Rebuilt one).

Anybody has any opinion on Brand New Bosch Starter? Could it be even worse?
Old 09-14-2005, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The contacts only wear out after a considerable amount of time. On mine it was after 180,000 miles. The contacts honestly only take an extra 15-30 minutes to install. and the cost savings is huge. I paid about $16 for my contacts vs. a new stater was about $250 I believe. It was well worth the extra 15 minutes.

To do the contacts there are 2 bolts to undo and then two nuts. its really easy. Almost as easy as changing the oil (once the starter is out). I haven't heard of any aftermarket starters being any better than the toyota OEM.

Matt
Old 09-14-2005, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Contact wear is not an inherent problem with the Denso starters, it is just a fact of life. Be thankful that they are inexpensive and easy to replace. Think of them like tires on your vehicle, sure they wear out from time to time. It is not a problem with the tire, it is just the way they work. It takes less time to replace the contacts than to run to the parts store to buy a new one. Fix your old reliable Denso starter and avoid getting a rebuilt unit at all costs:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Starter.shtml

Taking the old starter out and reinstalling either it or the new starter will take 95% of the time for the repair, a few extra minutes replacing the $5 contacts and you can save yourself $100s on the cost of a new starter. And no matter which starter brand you replace the Denso with, it'll have the same copper contacts.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 09-14-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:12 AM
LV_4Runner

Thanks a lot for quick response.

To 4Crawler,

I think your name is everywhere if it is about starter contact. I am very glad that you respond to my question this promptly. Ok!, per your advice, let me try to pay a little more effort than pay more money.

Then, my question is "what types of contact do I need?" and "how many do I need to order from you?"

My runner is 97 SR5 4WD US version with A/T tranny at 115k miles....

Can you identify what kind of contact I need from above description? or Must I take out and open up the starter to find out which contact I need?

Please advise....

Old 09-15-2005, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Hard to say for sure, you may need 0, 1 or 2 contacts depending on whether any are worn or not. See my page for more info:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...#WhichContacts

Other 3rd gens have needed at least a B contact and perhaps an A. If you want to be sure to have the correct contacts, order one each of all 4 sizes (and get free shipping onthe 4-pack) then you can either keep the other contacts or return them for credit.

But the best answer is to pop the cover off the solenoid and see:

#1 That you have worn contacts (you may not)
#2 That you can actually remove the starter yourself (I've had folks who could not)
#3 You'll know which type of contacts and how many of each you will need
Old 09-15-2005, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go to the dealer with your vin number they can tell you which ones you will need and they will probably have them in stock.

Matt
Old 09-15-2005, 12:51 PM
LV_4Runner

Thank you Celica and 4Crawler.

Ok! this evening (after work), I am going to start taking out the starter and see what kind of part I need.
By the way, according to the shop manual, it seems that I need to replace the gasket (and o-ring too?). Is it really necessary?

4Crawler, when you do the starter job, have you replaced gasket and any other part in addition to contact? or is it pretty much reusuable?
Old 09-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

I have always just replaced the contacts themselves. Never found any other parts/gaskets/seals/etc. in need of replacement. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:27 AM
LV_4Runner

Ok! here is an update.

I finally took out the starter and found that both of contact (total 2 contacts) are worn. One (bigger one : odd shape) is worn a lot and the other (small one : regular shape) is less worn. However, I am planning to change both.

Total takes 1 hour and 20 mins. However, the most of time, I really really really struggled to get the starter out of the car. It was horribly tricky. I am even worried about putting it back..... ^^;

I will check firt the local dealer or local starter rebuilder to find the contact... (also Napa too...)
If I can NOT find any locally, I will order through 4Crawler's web page. Actually, I should order from 4Crawler because he provides this invaluable information, he deserves more than 5 dollars per contact piece. My only problem is that I have to make the 4runner run again on Saturday so wife can use it while I will be out of town next week.

Hopefully, I can finish all these within today.....
Old 09-16-2005, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Actually, as noted on my web page, not really necessary to remove the starter fully to inspect it. Just orient it so you can access the solenoid cover between the frame frame and fender and then open it up for a look. For a temp. fix, clean up the contacts witha wire brush or sandpaper and then shim them up a little from below to raise the heights of the copper for better contact.
Old 09-16-2005, 06:48 AM
LV_4Runner

Oh! you are my sense.... how stubburn I am? how stupid I am? I really feel dumb......uhhhhhhhhhh......

You are right! I should have inspect it without complete removal... Good lesson learned.

Thanks again!