Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Brakes and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes and Rotors

Hey am a newbie in here and i have some question, i need to change my brakes and rotors asap and i just need some guide, i have seen this guide here https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...imrockford.htm

but i don't know if its gonna be the same for my 2000 4runner. I am gonna change some tires and stuff so while am at it just wannted to change the rotors and brakes.

i hope bridgestone dueler at evol and brembo rotors and hawks brake pads are nice, cause thats what am getting, but i just recently heard that changing rotors on a 4runner is quite a challenge. Can you guys give me some tips and advice or if you have URL and HOW TO's can you help me out

thank you
Old 07-13-2007, 04:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Removing rotors on a 2000 is easy. Just remove the wheel, remove the brake pads, then remove the two bolts holding the caliper on (I believe they have 17mm heads). Don't remove the bolts holding the two halves of the caliper together! Remove the caliper (just swing it out of the way... If I remember right, you don't have to disconnect the brake lines... just a couple of clamps to remove to let it swing out of the way) and the rotor will come right off.

You won't be following the writeup that you posted above when you replace the rotors on your 2000. Rotor replacement on 2nd gen 4Runners is a more involved job.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:24 AM

and that is the same for a 4wd too correct?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by toyo4runner
and that is the same for a 4wd too correct?
Yes. One thing, when you remove the caliper don't let it hang by the brake line, tie it up with something
Old 07-13-2007, 09:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Good point, Eric. You don't want to be kinking or stretching brake lines when you do this.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:27 PM

hey thanks for the info if i need help i'll ask you guys again, am hoping to do this by the end of this month cause its like almost 900 for the tires, rotors, and brakes.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:38 PM

I did mine on a 2001 4wd last week. Search for a how to article since it will have torque values. I cannot seem to find it quickly. I did oem pads and brembos and it was easy. The hardest part was hanging the caliper with a couple of cable ties. The caliper brake line is not really flexible. Take a few pictures as you pull it apart just in case. Get a can of anti squeal for the shims. I re-used the original ones since oem pads do not come with new ones. You might have to pound the old rotor to break it loose from the hub. Mine dropped off with one good hit. You do not remove anything except the caliper. Took about 90 minutes for one side and 30 for the seciond.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by GhostriderTx
I did mine on a 2001 4wd last week. Search for a how to article since it will have torque values. I cannot seem to find it quickly. I did oem pads and brembos and it was easy. The hardest part was hanging the caliper with a couple of cable ties. The caliper brake line is not really flexible. Take a few pictures as you pull it apart just in case. Get a can of anti squeal for the shims. I re-used the original ones since oem pads do not come with new ones. You might have to pound the old rotor to break it loose from the hub. Mine dropped off with one good hit. You do not remove anything except the caliper. Took about 90 minutes for one side and 30 for the seciond.
hey Ghostrider i saw one of your forums, on your brembo rotor, did u really needed that dial gauge, i mean what happen and how is that brembo rotor doing? thanks
Old 07-14-2007, 06:01 PM

hey Ghostrider i saw one of your forums, on your brembo rotor, did u really needed that dial gauge, i mean what happen and how is that brembo rotor doing? thanks
No I gave up with that idea. I felt that my factory rotors would have worked but didn't want to take time to turn them so I ordered Brembos. The place I ordered from sent me an order confirmation that stated you had to use the dial gauge before installing pads in order to have a warranty. The cheapest gauge I found was about 25 bucks at harbor freight. My backup plan was to get the factory rotors turned if something went wrong with the brembos. However they have been fine even though I haven't drove it much in the past week. The only issue was the first set of rotors arrived in a package that had been beaten up by the delivery company. I didn't want to find out that the rotors were out of round because of shipping so I had them send a second set.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:28 PM

yea the update! i had bought the hawk creamic brakes and when i took off the old brakes they look like they are brand new, so i wasted 60 bucks on brakes and i had to buy 2 brand new rotors because it was warp paid about $110 for both rotors and then after i installed everything one of the rotors that i got was bad so i had to go and exchange it. but yea changing both the rotors and brakes is a piece of cake thanks everyone for your support so far no shaking while braking and running alot better with the new tires too. But bad luck looks like my engine check light came on too so need to get that taken care off.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:07 AM

yea the update! i had bought the hawk creamic brakes and when i took off the old brakes they look like they are brand new, so i wasted 60 bucks on brakes and i had to buy 2 brand new rotors because it was warp paid about $110 for both rotors and then after i installed everything one of the rotors that i got was bad so i had to go and exchange it. but yea changing both the rotors and brakes is a piece of cake thanks everyone for your support so far no shaking while braking and running alot better with the new tires too. But bad luck looks like my engine check light came on too so need to get that taken care off.

when it rains it pours huh? so guys, when you want to replace the pads and rotor you dont have to mess with the brake lines or bleeding right?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:40 AM
Contributing Member

That is correct. AS long as you dont disconnect a brakeline from a caliper, your good to go. Now if you want to rebuild calipers, thats a different story.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:34 AM

if i want to take some of the older fluid out towards the caliper how do i do that? the brake fluid in the resevoir is clean nice and golden color.. remember guys i have never done brakes before so bear with me haha.. thanks guys
Old 08-24-2007, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

There is a bleeder valve on the back of the caliper....
Easiest way is to get some clear tubing, and attach it around the valve, so it isnt just dripping everywhere, run that down into a cup, have someone step on the brakes, open the valve, keep pressure on the brakes, and then just before the fluid stops coming out, shut the valve, release the brakes. Repeat. (make sure the lid is back on the MC before you do this) and watch the fluid level in the MC it goes quicker than you think..
Old 08-24-2007, 06:59 AM

ok sounds good thanks roco ... again haha
Old 08-24-2007, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

10-4 no sweat!
Old 08-26-2007, 05:34 AM

Yea i had just bleed my brakes just in case but yea its just right there just get a number 10 wrench and your good to go!