Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Better! The Velocity Stack Mod for your airbox (8hp for $3).

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better! The Velocity Stack Mod for your airbox (8hp for $3).

Hey dudes and dudettes.

Taco and 4Runner V6 guys (I don't know if it works for the four-bangers): I did a reinterpretation of the deck-plate mod and dyno'd it for Off-Road.com. It works, it's cheap and it's better. The velocity stack is plastic, fantastic, costs almost nothing and is very adaptable. Of course, someone might have done this already but I didn't know about it.

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/t...cks-52540.html

Next month, we'll dyno a K&N back to back with the OEM panel filter, see exactly what that's worth beyond its already nice lifetime cleanability.

Please comment and support my work there. Gotta get paid. There's also a second-gen electric fan swap story in there, if you want to stick with the OEM goodies. Thanks for your readership.

STICK
Old 07-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

This is the first I've seen of this - pretty cool read.

Nice work.

Fink
Old 07-09-2010, 01:34 PM

Looks like it could be promising.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:19 PM

Thumbs up

Looks good, although one of the great advantages of the deck plate mod is the ability to thread the plug back in, in offroad scenarios where you want a sealed airbox.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice! Better yet it's made of car stereo stuff I already have!
Old 07-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirtoy4x4
Looks good, although one of the great advantages of the deck plate mod is the ability to thread the plug back in, in offroad scenarios where you want a sealed airbox.
They aren't sealed one iota. You still have to have air getting into the engine. The deckplate mod merely cuts a giant hole in the box BEFORE the filter, which allows air into the motor easier.

If you are in water deep enough to get into the deckplate, having a plug there won't help you anyways.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar

If you are in water deep enough to get into the deckplate, having a plug there won't help you anyways.
Unless you have a snorkel, then the deck plate will keep water out!

Good report! I'm watching for the next one. I'd really love to see the dyno VS a K&N filter, err cold air intake setup.. I have one I'd lend for testing.. PM if interested.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I'd be interested in a dyno report of the safari snorkel.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Interesting.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:29 PM

This thread is just sad.

But the mesh grille that blocks about 70% air flow on the subwoofer port is hilarious.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:23 PM

I'd bet the grille is from an in-ceiling stereo or surround speaker. I used to install them all the time while in college working for a stereo shop.

I don't want to take this one any further....... I could not come up with any scientific/emperical data to prove/disprove the results.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ummm okay as several of you are already well aware...I am a bit slow... but isn't it a somewhat accepted figure that the deckplate mod itself is good for a 7 hp increase? So the additional gain for that extruding piece of "stack" is a whopping one more HP?

Plus as dirtoy 4x4 boy points out-you have now given up the ability to close up the hole...which has to appeal somewhat to anyone who would ever want to sell their ride to a new owner not so happy to see a hole cut in the airbox.

Perhaps I am missing the point.. I have before...
Old 07-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by DailyDrive
This thread is just sad.

But the mesh grille that blocks about 70% air flow on the subwoofer port is hilarious.
and your supporting data for the '70%' figure?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:20 PM

This thread is just sad.

Proven Dyno results are hilarious too! I would rather have that 30% increase that increases horsepower than stock. Don't diss it until you can prove their results wrong

P.S. Selling your Yota is blasphemy anyways. It is easy to find a buyer that will appreciate mods done by the previous owner.

Last edited by DethYota; 07-09-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 PM

Wow, controversy. Exciting.

Real dyno results, on a Mustang dyno too. I've never seen actual dyno results for the deck-plate mod. Mustang dynos are on the stingy side, so the same mod on a Dynojet would probably show about 10hp. Call James at Reese Tuning in Santee if you want the back story - there is a reason Mustang dynos are selling like mad, and why lots of police and law enforcement agencies use them for calibration.

We're going to put a K&N panel filter in and do a before & after for that soon, don't worry. I don't think K&N will give me an FIPK/cold-air (or whatever they call 'em nowadays) because i'll bet this mod works as well. They're usually pretty generous with parts for editorial experimentation, and Off-Road.com is huge. I do want to try a full ARB snorkel on the dyno. I'm also going to dyno a bunch of other airstream stuff, like smoothing the factory intake, knife-edging the throttle body and other fun, inexpensive, beer & driveway tuning. The K&N and the stack are probably going to be worth about 15hp together (total guess). That's 8hp at the WHEELS with a dirty OEM filter in there, so the K&N has to help; tough to argue that.

I haven't tried to seal the stack like a deck plate, but even the deck plate isn't a perfect seal (especially if you have a screen in place), and that airbox ain't air-tight anyway. I think that some sort of rubber boot or a plastic bag and a zip-tie will work to keep the stack sealed if there's a snorkel in place.

As for the hole, this is a $3000 4Runner what's value will not be much affected by an almost invisible mod that's worth an inaudible 8hp. I can always junkyard another airbox or just figure out where Ron lives...

The mesh might look dense (it's from an old Polk door speaker out of my 5.0, I think - yay for old speaker parts!), but it's much more open than you see, probably about 60% open versus the metal in it. The 8hp is with that much screen, so it can only get better if you thin it out. I did not test the stack without a screen, but I could if y'all would like me to. That stack is a very effective way to move air - look up the physics. I did

I really do appreciate all the attention - thanks, 'Yoters. Pay some to my show on 1170/KCBQ - kcbq.com. 6: PM Saturdays in San Diego, or dig me online. "Garage Hour" on Facebook, too.

STICK

Last edited by SharpStick; 07-09-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:53 AM

i wish the dyno graph was big enough for us to read
Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 AM
Contributing Member

This thread is just sad.

Next time let's try some constructive criticism, that's what really improves a thread and overall the board.

Posting in a thread saying it's sad and poking fun at methods used is just pointless.

Fink
Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
but isn't it a somewhat accepted figure that the deckplate mod itself is good for a 7 hp increase?
No.

OP, why don't you do a much more accurate test of the new air flow than running a dyno? I know the results already, but you can do this for your own curiosity.

Hook up an ODBII logger to it, and log g/s that the MAF sees against the RPMs while running it full throttle through a gear. If it flows any better at a given RPM, the MAF will show it.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SharpStick
Wow, controversy. Exciting.

Real dyno results, on a Mustang dyno too. I've never seen actual dyno results for the deck-plate mod. Mustang dynos are on the stingy side, so the same mod on a Dynojet would probably show about 10hp. Call James at Reese Tuning in Santee if you want the back story - there is a reason Mustang dynos are selling like mad, and why lots of police and law enforcement agencies use them for calibration.

We're going to put a K&N panel filter in and do a before & after for that soon, don't worry. I don't think K&N will give me an FIPK/cold-air (or whatever they call 'em nowadays) because i'll bet this mod works as well. They're usually pretty generous with parts for editorial experimentation, and Off-Road.com is huge. I do want to try a full ARB snorkel on the dyno. I'm also going to dyno a bunch of other airstream stuff, like smoothing the factory intake, knife-edging the throttle body and other fun, inexpensive, beer & driveway tuning. The K&N and the stack are probably going to be worth about 15hp together (total guess). That's 8hp at the WHEELS with a dirty OEM filter in there, so the K&N has to help; tough to argue that.

I haven't tried to seal the stack like a deck plate, but even the deck plate isn't a perfect seal (especially if you have a screen in place), and that airbox ain't air-tight anyway. I think that some sort of rubber boot or a plastic bag and a zip-tie will work to keep the stack sealed if there's a snorkel in place.

As for the hole, this is a $3000 4Runner what's value will not be much affected by an almost invisible mod that's worth an inaudible 8hp. I can always junkyard another airbox or just figure out where Ron lives...

The mesh might look dense (it's from an old Polk door speaker out of my 5.0, I think - yay for old speaker parts!), but it's much more open than you see, probably about 60% open versus the metal in it. The 8hp is with that much screen, so it can only get better if you thin it out. I did not test the stack without a screen, but I could if y'all would like me to. That stack is a very effective way to move air - look up the physics. I did

I really do appreciate all the attention - thanks, 'Yoters. Pay some to my show on 1170/KCBQ - kcbq.com. 6: PM Saturdays in San Diego, or dig me online. "Garage Hour" on Facebook, too.

STICK
I look forward to your future tests Stick, I appreciate you taking the time to post this even if it is just a shameless plug for your site/show.

Fink
Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

No.

OP, why don't you do a much more accurate test of the new air flow than running a dyno? I know the results already, but you can do this for your own curiosity.

Hook up an ODBII logger to it, and log g/s that the MAF sees against the RPMs while running it full throttle through a gear. If it flows any better at a given RPM, the MAF will show it.
That's better.

Fink

Quick Reply: Better! The Velocity Stack Mod for your airbox (8hp for $3).