Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Best shocks for '99 LTD 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best shocks for '99 LTD 4WD?

So now that I have this truck back together and running, it's time to work on some of the suspension that it is lacking

When I come to a stop, the truck rocks back and forth a couple of times--the shocks are THAT worn out, lol. Hitting a bump on the highway and you're bouncing. Also going to replace sway bar bushings while I'm at it, and maybe some other things depending on how bad they look.

so, which shocks should I buy? I don't do any offroading and don't have any plans to lift it or anything like that. Local advance auto has some monroe shocks that are pretty cheap. How are bilsteins--harder than stock or better or what?

Any suggestions? I drive it 3-4 days a week, mainly on the interstate
Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
STOCK for a stocker

Seeing that the OEM Tokicos lasted you this long, that would be my suggestion for a replacement. I believe places like ShockWarehouse have them at a decent price.

But if your rear springs have never been replaced that may be contributing to your issue as well.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking at the Tokicos at shox.com for $269 shipped. A lot of people like the Bilsteins as well.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 PM

I have bilstein shocks on my 98 4runner. I really like them. They are kinda stiff sometimes but not too bad the only time I notice it is when i am not driving. The bilsteins eat bumps up like crazy, you will see a big hole in the road, run over it, and barely even feel it. As Ron Helmuth said, the back springs may be part of your problem too. I know mine has got the saggy ass syndrome really bad which makes it bounce a little at higher speeds.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
Seeing that the OEM Tokicos lasted you this long, that would be my suggestion for a replacement. I believe places like ShockWarehouse have them at a decent price.

But if your rear springs have never been replaced that may be contributing to your issue as well.
Will look into rear springs--The rear does sag a bit. I wasn't sure if it was from all the tools I have in the back or springs just worn. I doubt springs or shocks have been replaced. At most, maybe replaced once.

Originally Posted by badattitude
I'm looking at the Tokicos at shox.com for $269 shipped. A lot of people like the Bilsteins as well.
Thanks--Will look into those. I assume that's for a full set? springs included or just shocks?

Originally Posted by kfarrar
I have bilstein shocks on my 98 4runner. I really like them. They are kinda stiff sometimes but not too bad the only time I notice it is when i am not driving. The bilsteins eat bumps up like crazy, you will see a big hole in the road, run over it, and barely even feel it. As Ron Helmuth said, the back springs may be part of your problem too. I know mine has got the saggy ass syndrome really bad which makes it bounce a little at higher speeds.
I keep hearing the bilstein's are stiff to a lot of people.. Haven't decided if I want to give them a shot or not, but I do appreciate the input.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:52 PM

269 for the stocker vs 319 (I believe it was anyways) for bilsteins.

Decisions decisions
Old 07-05-2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ncsugrad2006
269 for the stocker vs 319 (I believe it was anyways) for bilsteins.

Decisions decisions
FYI the Tokicos Trekmasters are not exactly the original shocks. They are made by the same manufacture but I don't believe they are the exact same as the awesome OEM 4runner shocks. A set of new OEM from someplace like toyotapartsales.com will cost about $400 IIRC.

Also, if you buy shocks online you should already know how/where they will be installed. Many people install themselves. However, the fronts are just a little too complicated for me to do. I asked around and most shops will not install shocks you carry in. Just be aware of this.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:32 AM
jrm

Heres an idea

check to see if the rear springs in your truck have been replaced by the TSB recall. If not then you could have the shocks installed at the same time as the rear coils are being replaced and end up with an nice set up.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by badattitude
FYI the Tokicos Trekmasters are not exactly the original shocks. They are made by the same manufacture but I don't believe they are the exact same as the awesome OEM 4runner shocks. A set of new OEM from someplace like toyotapartsales.com will cost about $400 IIRC.

Also, if you buy shocks online you should already know how/where they will be installed. Many people install themselves. However, the fronts are just a little too complicated for me to do. I asked around and most shops will not install shocks you carry in. Just be aware of this.
I pulled the motor when I first got this truck, so hopefully I can manage to change these . Just need a spring compressor..pretty sure I can rent one though
Old 07-07-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by jrm
check to see if the rear springs in your truck have been replaced by the TSB recall. If not then you could have the shocks installed at the same time as the rear coils are being replaced and end up with an nice set up.
How would I go about checking?

And if they haven't been changed, will they be changed out for free?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by ncsugrad2006
I pulled the motor when I first got this truck, so hopefully I can manage to change these . Just need a spring compressor..pretty sure I can rent one though
Cool, yea, you got it under control then. I must have thought I was posting on the other 4runner forum, lol

I want to learn about this rear spring recall too? I know there was one for 96-98 4runners, but I don't believe it applied to 1999's? did it?

How do your rear springs look? Mine appear to have no sag at 140,000. If you have the red/yellowish green coded rears you have the 1999 tall spings, just make sure you get the same color code if they replace them. Fronts should be blue/pink and blue/yellow IIRC
Old 07-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Addco sway bars front and rear, urethane bushings all around! Made a nice difference for my old 96, even with stock newish struts/shocks.