Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

BEST lift for the money

Old 06-03-2006, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEST lift for the money

hey guys, i know this has been beat to hell but i'm getting new to this truck game. I've been into sports cars all my life so instead of raising a car, i usually lowered it. Anyways what i want a lift for is so i can put on some nice rims with a nice sized tire. I don't ever go offroading, but in the winter months the lift would definetly help. I want something that'll handle nice, ride nice and that isn't TOOO aggressive. I don't neeed a 5" lift, maybe just 2-3". So basically something close to stock ride, but with the hightened aesthetic look.....I have no need for the most expensive coilover setup because it would be overkill for me. I don't just want spacers because i know the ride will be harsh.

i've read around and it seems like the OME lift is the best. Then there is the lift with the tundra coils, but what struts would best suit those?? also where is the best place to buy this stuff?
Old 06-03-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tundra TRDs up front and Old Man Emu 890s out back will give you about 1.75" up front and 2.5" out back on a 2000 4runner as I did. If it is a Tacoma I'm told that the TRDs will give you about 2" up front.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

If you don't want coilovers or spacers, I'd recommend the OME setup or the OEM setup (Tundra springs, TRD shocks, etc.).

The OME setup can be bought from Strap22 on the board. I think he has the best prices. The OEM stuff can be pieced together or you can get a complete kit from Sonoran Steel.

As far as tires, I would recommend an AT tire based on what you need. Many debates on this board for tires but the most recent popular tire is the Nitto Terra Grappler. I have Yokohama Geolanders and I love these. Other popular tires are the Revos. Search and you'll see a ton of threads on all the above.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:32 AM

the TRD/OEM works good for me.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:28 PM

The cheapest lift IMO is front spacers and OME 891's or Land Cruiser coils in the rear. That setup will yield up to 2.5 inches of lift in the front and up to 3" with the OME coils and 3.5-4 inches with the LC coils. The OME rear lift seems to be the easiest, but the harshest riding. There's more modding to do with the LC coils, but they seem to ride softer and are much more capable off road.

I did the Daystar 2.5 inch spacer kit front and rear. The fronts have been fine, but now, my stock rear springs with the spacers are starting to sag If I can get enough info on what mods need to be done, I'll probably go with the LC mods and keep my spacers.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

'maybe just 2-3" is pretty much what everyone here is running, and thats the most you can get suspension wise. anything more requires dropbrackets etc & manual hubs(if you want your CV's to live) both of which are $$. since you mentioned you dont off road, i'd suggest something for a better ride and maybe a 1-1.5" lift. Performance products springs give a respectable 1" lift from what ive read. Bilsteins are an excellent shock/strut for excellent ride & handling. you could also try the TRD shocks/struts but im not too familiar with those. again with the no off road deal, you wouldnt really need/want new wheels unless you want some new bling. keep your stockers and get some better meats. stock tire is 265/70/16. a 265/75/16 is available in various brands (go for a decent A/T tire) i believe and looks pretty meaty compared to stock. any taller, and you'll just lose out on gas mileage & power.

mind you there is no really one kit thats for the 3RD gen 4Runner (aside from OME) hence the different combo's available and their respective lift results. raiding the land cruiser (FJ80) parts bin is good, but will get the butt up higher than the front in most applications ive seen hence the top out front spacers...

just my CDN $0.02 which after the conversion..isnt worth a hell of alot :pat:
Old 06-03-2006, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with the all OME (shocks/springs) for around 1.5-1.75" up front and 2.25-2.5" in the rear.
You can see on my profile page how it looks (link in my sig).

The Tundra coils and OME rears would also be a good combo.