Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Best fix for cracked airbox 3.4l

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best fix for cracked airbox 3.4l

Hey guys.
I pulled a junkyard airbox for my truck but it's got a crack on the back side. Anyone have expertise glueing or glassing one of these?

I was leaning toward jb weld? Seen some good plastic repair with jb. Plastic can be tricky though....
Old 10-24-2017, 08:17 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I think that would work. Could duct tape it while it cures so it holds. Or get it switched out with another one from the yard.

Stuff is amazing in holding together my rearview mirror and my passenger side mirror from falling off.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
You'll want an epoxy for welding plastics together, it sorta melts the plastic and gives a stronger bond. Two brands of it I see at most stores are the JB Weld and Devcon versions.

I've used PC-7 successfully on plastics and rubberized plastic (like Husky/Rubbermaid trash cans) - usually I'll scuff it up really well with coarse sand paper or even score it with a utility knife to give some bite for the epoxy to grab. Strong enough to repair slices in trash can full of clay/mud water 5 years later.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:31 PM

Cool!

Thanks for the tips so far. I saw that jb weld had some plastic specific products, both 2-part epoxy and some sort of moldable putty. Never used either though.
My buddy jbwelded his broken plastic radiator tank (also on a 3.4 runner) and made it from moab to california before replacing it. I figure if it can hold water+heat+pressure it should seal an airbox. But again, a different flavor plastic can have wildly different results.

Ive never heard of PC-7 but will do some research on that one too. May be worth putting one product on the inside of the box and one on the outside and hope that at least one of them holds

Last edited by advlars; 10-24-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you near Inland empire socal
? I might have one Id give you its my bros 96 4r 2wd getting parted .
Old 10-24-2017, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the offer Mike!
My hometown is pretty close to the inland empire, but Im in MI at the moment. Trying to get some truck work done while Im visiting family. But its MI so the junkyards are just full of Fords and Chevys here . If youre up for shipping it shoot me a PM and we can talk cost
Old 10-25-2017, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I think I used a goop product I had on hand and it worked just fine on my 2cnd gen after the fan grenaded.

It's vacuum, not pressure so they're easy to repair.
You won't need anything too fancy adhesive wise. Especially for a crack.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:14 AM

Well, I decided on jb weld 2 part plastic epoxy cause that's what I was able to find at napa. Drilled out the ends of the cracks to prevent spreading and glued it up. So far the bond appears good. I'll post back if it falls apart.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I think I have a 3.4L airbox in the garage. How quickly do you need it?
Old 10-30-2017, 02:03 PM

Fiero- If youve got a solid airbox that needs a happy loving home, PM me and we can talk shipping etc. No particular rush though now that this one is pasted back together. I can use the one Ive got to fab the mounts, snorkel intake ducting etc and replace it with a better one at any time.

On a side note Ive used the plastic JB weld on some other projects this week and it seems to bond well to the 3 types of plastic Ive used. Time will tell, but Im pleased so far.