Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Throttling problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 10:53 PM
TJM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttling problem

I have posted this on T4R before but no one seemed to be able to figure out what the issue is.

So I bought an '02 Runner used with about 127k on the clock. I realized a bit late the previous owners were lax with the maintenance and there was a lot of rust issues I have mostly mitigated since.

There is one issue I can't seem to solve though. Once in a while I hit the gas and get zero response from the throttle. It happens more often while in a turn but can strike at any time and lasts from 2 to 15 seconds.

I tried cleaning the throttle body, changing the throttle body, checked the throttle cord to make sure it moves when I hit the accelerator, changed the ABS module, and bled/refilled the hydraulic lines. None of that has helped. The weird thing is, the problem goes away when the VSC Trac and Check Engine lights are both ON.

There were a couple codes (12xx and I believe 13xx) that I have to recheck because I can't find where I wrote them down.

Has anyone here had this issue, or any idea what to do about it?

For full disclosure it's a 2002 SR5 Sport Edition with OME shocks and coils, 265/75/16 Duratracs and the stabilizer bar has been leveled after the lift. The problem was present before and after the mods.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I venture this is a automatic transmission??

Have you checked the adjustment of the cable to the transmission ?

Broken or loose Engine or Transmission mounts??

Read your codes again the problem might be in the codes
Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 AM
TJM

It is an automatic, cable to transmission I haven't checked yet. Mounts are all good.

I had it in the shop for my safety inspection, they said they couldn't pin down what was going on - tightened all connections in the hydraulic lines and bled/filled the system, checked the brake lines, bled and filled those, still getting the problem.

When it happens I can hear the ABS kick in, which will tell the computer (or computers) "the brakes are locked up, don't send power to the accelerator". At least that's how it was explained to me. I might be able to get the info later today, otherwise it will be a couple days before I have the time off work to pull it up. But I will post the codes as soon as I can.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Did the shop look at the codes?

The codes probably have something to do with it. Definitely pull the codes again. Without seeing what the computer(s) are seeing, you are just taking shots in the dark.

It is also helpful to know what conditions need to be met to turn the VSC Trac and Check engine lights on with the codes you have (Code setting criteria).

It could be a bad wheel speed sensor giving the computer faulty information, but do not replace any more parts until you KNOW what the problem is!

I don't know much about the "newer" Toyotas like yours, so I cannot give any other tips.

By the way, welcome to YotaTech!

Old 10-30-2017, 04:45 PM
TJM

They did look at the codes, but couldn't decipher what was going on before I needed the vehicle back. I didn't have time to look for them before work so I don't have them to post yet.

The wheel sensor possibility has been brought up before, and we might end up going that route, but like you said I don't want to just keep throwing parts at the problem hoping it will go away.

Conditions can be anything, from inclement weather to clear and dry, so I don't think it's an environmental issue, but rather something internal.

And thanks!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
I had a 2001 4runner for a while, (gone now) but I found that driving in snow there was no use trying to get a run at anything (like uphill into an unplowed driveway) since the traction control would immediately take away my throttle control at the first sign of wheel spin. when the center diff lock was engaged or the rig was in 4 low the traction control was disabled and I could punch through a snow berm as needed. So, that being said, it could be a wheel sensor issue as stated above and if the symptom lasts long enough you may be able to engage your diff lock (if you have it) to see if your throttle is restored. I can't help much more on troubleshooting this so, good luck!