Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Belt Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Belt Adjustment

I have a 04 tacoma with the 3.4L engine. Recently it has gotten bitter cold with a fair amount of snow. I started noticing a very slight squeel when the engine is warming up. I live at the top of a pretty steep hill. Today when i got home from work and got out of my truck i noticed a slight burnt rubber smell. Thinking i need to adjust my belt(s).

I don't have a garage to work in....so in an effort to minimize my misery i thought i would ask here. It looks like i have 3 belts up front...looking briefly i didn't see any obvious adjustments. I have searched without much luck here on yotatech for info on adjustments. I'm hoping to replace the belts in the spring when i can work outside more comfortably.

Anyone have any helpful links? Or a description of where the adjustments are for each belt? With better weather i'd be up for looking around and trying to figure things out. But with the temp where it is any headstart would be GREATLY appreciated. Although i really do love working on my truck while laying in the snow with mittens on......

Thanks
Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!
RC
Old 12-25-2008, 09:12 AM

PS pump is on the left side, its tricky to get to, get a ratcheting wrench, 14mm Itis under the pump a bit, hard to see, but you get to it standing onthe right side of the truck and sticking yourhands down the gap near the PS pump.

The alternator is a 12mm, and you can use a regular ratchet for it from the front of the truck its under the alternator on the right.

Dont know how much thishelps but its a start. there is a write up somwhere, search replacing belts.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:28 AM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
the ps belt is a pita to do anything with. i've been putting off finishing tightening it because i don't have the ratcheting wrench as Yukon alluded to. I think i'll wait until i get one to adjust it...maybe that'll be soon...
Old 12-25-2008, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the bit of info guys. Any headstart is appreciated. It has been heavy snow and wind here today (tahoe) so i haven't looked at it. I'll be out in a bit snowblowing and digging out the wood shed.

What do you mean by "ratcheting wrench"? Is it a box end wrench that ratchets? I'm assuming it must be a tight squeeze? I unfortunatly have to work tomorrow so i'll look for a ratcheting wrench on the way home from work....thanks for the heads up.....always a pain to start a job and realize there is some odd ball tool that you don't have. I have a good basic tool kit but am still acquiring odds and ends as needed.

i have looked for a write up. but haven't found much starter info on adjusting the belts. i'm sure it is pretty straight forward....but then nothing is really ever straight forward working outside when it is snowing and blowing....just getting the ratchet switch the right way with bare fingers can be an epic.
thanks for the info
merry christmas!
RC
Old 12-25-2008, 02:12 PM

thats it