Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Before boost maintenance items

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before boost maintenance items

Greetings,

I have come into a 2nd gen TRD supercharger but I want to make sure my engine and transmission are ready. Granted this will not be the same as putting an ESS SC on my E39 M5, but I still want to check for trouble areas. My 99 Limited just turned 200,000 on the body and the transmission, the engine is newer with about 125,000.

My main concern right now is the tranny. It doesn't slip or have any noticeable issues but should I have it looked at before hand? What else should I have a peek at first?

I bought it about 30,000 miles ago. The only thing I've had trouble with is the starter, and I just had new contacts put in.

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2014, 02:02 PM

My $.02 - the S/C is going to require fuel mods so you don't run lean. So do a once-over on your whole fuel system. Change your fuel filter if it's older or you run Arco gas. Clean your injectors. You will probably be swapping out your spark plugs for two steps cooler plugs (like Denso IK22). Hopefully you will get the 7th injector kit, or look into water/meth like snow performance to help with the high RPM lean-out.

As far as the trans is concerned just make sure the fluid if still nice and pink. From my experience don't run any "performance" ATF as it caused my to slip. If you are lead-footed (like me) consider having someone like IPT do their magic on the valve-body of the trans.

Other than that put good premium gas in it, change the oil as directed (I like mobile one full synthetic...but that is just me). If you don't know much about the previous owner of the S/C you may want to change the oil in the nose drive and inspect the rotor pack for slop or excessive marking.

I know this sounds like a lot but once these suckers are set up right they will go forever. I've been boosting for 90k miles now and aside from a quick rebuild (done by Embree Machine) because my S/C had 80k on it before I got it it has been perfect.
Well that was a lot longer of an explanation then I intended. Good luck!

If you are really brave try this: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...y-work-243376/
It really works.

Last edited by hilgeg; 01-30-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty much that^

Get at least the valve body on the transmission worked over if you don't want issues.

You will need fuel mods, the 7th injector is the most popular but you can get by with a meth injection kit as well (or both).

Then just a full tune up, change ALL the fluids/wear items ect.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 PM

Sorry to steal your thread but it seems to be the correct spot to ask this question since i had the same ones.

I am going to take my truck to IPT or Level 10 to get the Valve body done to take the boost. My trans is newer than the engine and the body which are both at 213k, the trans is at 98k.

My worry right now is, will the engine hold up to the beating the SC will give? I do plan to have a piggy back (Maybe URD or an SAFCII) and larger injectors (the Supra non-Turbo 305 CC injectors).

Any insight or opinions on this would be great. I tossed up the idea of getting another 4Runner with lower miles but then thought against it as i JUST got this trans put in after the previous one died of the horrid Pink Milkshake. (I have the external B&M cooler on it now )
Old 03-25-2014, 02:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dawgz
Sorry to steal your thread but it seems to be the correct spot to ask this question since i had the same ones.

I am going to take my truck to IPT or Level 10 to get the Valve body done to take the boost. My trans is newer than the engine and the body which are both at 213k, the trans is at 98k.

My worry right now is, will the engine hold up to the beating the SC will give? I do plan to have a piggy back (Maybe URD or an SAFCII) and larger injectors (the Supra non-Turbo 305 CC injectors).

Any insight or opinions on this would be great. I tossed up the idea of getting another 4Runner with lower miles but then thought against it as i JUST got this trans put in after the previous one died of the horrid Pink Milkshake. (I have the external B&M cooler on it now )
The mileage is virtually a non-issue. The 5vz is a tank and almost bullet proof.

I would rethink the other mods though. Not a fan of upgraded injectors unless you get a quality piggyback like an AEM FIC. The 7th injector is a far better option.

The valve body id not that hard to install, no reason to send your whole truck to them to do that, just mail the VB and install it yourself.

I would also consider a turbo over the supercharger depending on your goals. Having been there, done that with the supercharger, if you want performance it is a waste of money IMO. It is great for a mild boost in power, basically what it should have had stock but thats about it.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
The mileage is virtually a non-issue. The 5vz is a tank and almost bullet proof.

I would rethink the other mods though. Not a fan of upgraded injectors unless you get a quality piggyback like an AEM FIC. The 7th injector is a far better option.

The valve body id not that hard to install, no reason to send your whole truck to them to do that, just mail the VB and install it yourself.

I would also consider a turbo over the supercharger depending on your goals. Having been there, done that with the supercharger, if you want performance it is a waste of money IMO. It is great for a mild boost in power, basically what it should have had stock but thats about it.
Interesting, maybe I'll sell the injectors and get the 7th injector kit then. It's reassuring that the high miles won't be an issue.

I was going to take the truck to them since I live literally 40 mins east of their location. I'm in North NJ.

And as for the SC vs Turbo, i've already purchased the kit last week and it's headed over via fedex fro Washington state. I have seen your other posts where you state the same. I'm not looking for crazy drag times or whatever. It's just a fun project on my DD. I literally bought the truck last August so I don't have to drive my M3 in the snow anymore. The truck does lack power, I notice it most when I switch between the two vehicals. That's why I got the SC to bridge the gap as its far apart.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:48 PM

TA.

Going back to that injector topic. Why is the 7th injector kit better than using these non-turbo Supra injectors which are rated at 305CC?

if i do go with the 305CC injectors, whats the best piggyback that everyone is using? an SAFC II? SAFC NEO? My kit came with a Split Second FTC 1, do alot of shops know how to tune that as opposed to the Apexi units?
Old 03-28-2014, 03:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dawgz
TA.

Going back to that injector topic. Why is the 7th injector kit better than using these non-turbo Supra injectors which are rated at 305CC?

if i do go with the 305CC injectors, whats the best piggyback that everyone is using? an SAFC II? SAFC NEO? My kit came with a Split Second FTC 1, do alot of shops know how to tune that as opposed to the Apexi units?
It is better since it doesn't mess with the stock ECU or the stock tune. So the truck will drive exactly like stock until you get into boost.

With the larger injectors you are tricking the ECU into using them across the entire tune, so you can have all sorts of issues if everything is not perfect.

With the 7th you would only have issues when in boost at worst.

The FTC is horrible, worst ECU I have had to deal with from a tuning standpoint. I HIGHLY doubt any shops know how to tune it or would even do it. You are basically on your own.

The best piggyback would be an AEM FIC IMO if you can get it setup and playing nice with all the sensors.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:29 AM

Thx for the info