Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bad steering rack?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad steering rack?

a little background first:
99 taco 4x4 83k miles, 2.7L, 5 spd, sway-a-ways up front, AALs and shackles in the back ~4" lift, 33x12.50s, ARB bullbar and I've had the swaybar off for about 50k miles.

I took it in for an inspection last week and they failed it cause the steering rack was "worn on the left side". I got under the truck, shook the hell out of the rack and tie rods and couldn't find any play. There are signs of leakage from the upper part of the rack. I havn't noticed any play or looseness in the steering. I HAVE noticed that in the morning the PS pump makes a bit of noise but I'm assuming that is from cold fluid and the fluid is probably a little low.

I know that we have seen the steering racks fail frequently on the Toyota trucks and 4 runners so I would not be surprised if it was bad.

My questions are:
I should be able to tell if it is bad by doing the "dry park check" (feeling for play) correct? If not, how? Does it need to be on a lift?

Also, I realize the racks are not cheap. Anyone know if there is maybe an aftermarket one that is either cheaper, or will hold up better than a factory one? (Ideally, both.)

Any information would be helpful, I searched the site and found that some people put in poly bushings, but couldn't find anything on aftermarket racks. (not the silicon ones )

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Maj

Two good ways to check. Lay under vehicle and observe rack and tie rod while an assistant rocks the steering wheel back and forth (engine should not be running and of course should in Park, brake set, wheels blocked, etc.). Other way is to jack up wheel just enough to get it off the ground, grab wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock position, and push/pull back and forth and see if you detect any play. Easier if you have a companion and one watches the rack while the other works the wheel.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:33 AM

thanks maj

im an automotive student and we did steering & suspension last year so I was a bit hazy on the procedure to check it. Not working in the trade I guess I forget some of the stuff.
thx again I'll check it out today.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Watch for play in the rack bushings, very common problem.
Many including myself have had to replace them and steering play improved greatly.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:04 AM

thx mtl. Yeah i did see a lot of that when i searched the forums. Mine seem okay, but im sure it wouldn't hurt to replace those.

The leakage seems to be coming from the top of the gearbox where the column seals in. It is only a minor leak i believe.

on the plus side, a friend knows a place he says i can get a sticker on it.

but i do need to start tackling some of the problems with my truck.
makes me and wish I hadn't wheeled the thing so much, but that's no fun.

I'm gonna check out my truck later i'll post what I find. gotta get back to work on my brother's 83 diesel rabbit. what a POS.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you check for play in the rack like Maj said. If there is play you should hear a clunk clunk. If you do or don't, have that person keep rocking the steering wheel, in short strokes, and hold all joints. The spot that my racks, yes I said racks, were worn out was right at the end of the rack. That is where the rubber bellows meets the rack. I could feel the clunk and feel the output shaft of the rack move up and down. Mine were both on the left side also.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:27 AM

yeah he did say it was the left side. im gonna have my girlfriend turn the wheel when she gets home later

soooo assuming it is bad, are there any higher-quality aftermarket racks out there? Most people reman or get a new OEM i guess. looks like i'll be spending some coin on a new one since i dont want a remanned one that is just gonna fail in <50k
Old 11-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by beatenyota
yeah he did say it was the left side. im gonna have my girlfriend turn the wheel when she gets home later

soooo assuming it is bad, are there any higher-quality aftermarket racks out there? Most people reman or get a new OEM i guess. looks like i'll be spending some coin on a new one since i dont want a remanned one that is just gonna fail in <50k
This should help you out with where to get a new rack if you need one.
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=2491.0
Old 11-15-2007, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, I did replace my rubber rack bushings with a Poly Rack Mount. and also transfered them over to my new rack. Great time to upgrade.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:40 PM

yeah, it appears the left side is ... yeah its done for. Am I gonna be alright with the reman, or should i spend the extra money and get a new one? I guess I'll probably go with the reman from the site you mentioned earlier. seems a good price. thanks again for your help, and it's good to be back on yotatech. ill get some pics of my ride up soon stay tuned.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:44 AM

I just took another look at the rack. looks like the bushings are quite worn. I guess I should replace both but I might try replacing the bushings alone first.

there wasn't really any play in the rack itself from what i could tell. No distinctive clunk when the wheel was turned back and forth.

Is it a good idea to just go with the new bushings first and see if that helps? or should i play it safe and replace the rack too?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:15 AM

eh. just ordered the rack from carsteering.com called in and the guy was very professional. Also ordered the poly bushings from the site you linked gerdo.

thanks guys

now i need to start saving for more parts. pretty sure i'm gonna need a lot more work soon. rear end, transfer, u joints, etc etc etc etc