Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto Trans not shifting into gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Trans not shifting into gear

I already searched for a problem but was unable to come up with a clear answer using the forum search. Most of the answers were leading to the torque converter. But in most cases it seemed like everyone with a similar problem had symptoms leading to the torque converter. As for me I have no symptoms. I came back from a 2 hour drive everything was fine, no shifting problems, no pause in shifting from park to drive or reverse. Then about an hour later I start her up and put it into reverse and I get nothing, then I try to put into drive still nothing, I have tried every combo even using the 4wd shifter, still nothing. Tranny fluid is at the right level. My question is would it be the torque converter even though it showed no signs of it. If so how much would it cost to replace and if it is easy to replace. Also could there be any other problems beside the torque converter. I am just still in aww cause it happened with out any signs.
Any insight would be helpful.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by trystjr
I already searched for a problem but was unable to come up with a clear answer using the forum search. Most of the answers were leading to the torque converter. But in most cases it seemed like everyone with a similar problem had symptoms leading to the torque converter. As for me I have no symptoms. I came back from a 2 hour drive everything was fine, no shifting problems, no pause in shifting from park to drive or reverse. Then about an hour later I start her up and put it into reverse and I get nothing, then I try to put into drive still nothing, I have tried every combo even using the 4wd shifter, still nothing. Tranny fluid is at the right level. My question is would it be the torque converter even though it showed no signs of it. If so how much would it cost to replace and if it is easy to replace. Also could there be any other problems beside the torque converter. I am just still in aww cause it happened with out any signs.
It's not impossible, but I would doubt the torque converter would fail 'just like that'. Does the fluid have a 'burnt' smell to it, is the color good (red)?

How many miles on it. Any recent service or problems?
Old 07-18-2004, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

The auto tranny gods must be crazy because it seems many of us are in trouble today. :pat:
Old 07-18-2004, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TechWrench
It's not impossible, but I would doubt the torque converter would fail 'just like that'. Does the fluid have a 'burnt' smell to it, is the color good (red)?

How many miles on it. Any recent service or problems?

yah the fluid is nice and red and it doesnt have a burnt smell to it, flushed it about 8 months ago and it has over 100k on a rebult thats been done a few years ago. Had no problems at all, it just happened. The only service done to it recently was last week which was basically an oil change, replaced my exhaust down pipe which was cracked, and changed my fuel filter. Other than that nothing has been acting up
Old 07-18-2004, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

I am just still in aww cause it happened with out any signs.

Actually it could very well be the torque converter, I've seen them strip out splines, especially on initial start-up where the sudden jolt can cause the failue. Check for metal in the trans fluid.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Actually it could very well be the torque converter, I've seen them strip out splines, especially on initial start-up where the sudden jolt can cause the failue. Check for metal in the trans fluid.
Though I have never seen this happen, I can see how it might. But, I would think the splines would have to have been wearing for quite a while before they finally gave out.

Another possibility could be a linkage/cable problem. Did you try rolling the vehicle when it is in neutral? Maybe it isn't actually shifting out of park even tho' the indicator says so.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

now it will only engage in L4 in 4wd mode. H2 and H4 still will not engage, could it be the transfercase since the gearing is diffrent from H2 and H4
Old 07-20-2004, 06:32 AM

now it will only engage in L4 in 4wd mode. H2 and H4 still will not engage, could it be the transfercase since the gearing is diffrent from H2 and H4
This sounds like it is indeed a transfer case problem, maybe a linkage issue or a faulty actuator.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:39 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds silly, but have you checked the E-brake? If the e-brake is stuck, then it would feel like the trans isn't catching and you don't have enough torque in H2 and H4 to get it to move. However, when you put it in L4, the increased torque allows you to move it. Does there seem to be any binding when in L4?
Old 07-20-2004, 08:01 PM

Have the solenoids on the tranny checked. On my 89 4runner, it would go into drive ok, but it would start out in like 3rd gear, completely skipping the first 2. Turns out two of the solenoids that change the gears had shorted out, about a $100 fix.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

had it towed to a shop, to have it inspected, saw him put it on a lift and put it into gear, it actually started to roll very slighty, so i figured its already messed up. he says he needs to do a rebuild and would cost 2k for rebult tranny and transfer case including parts and labor, does that sound a little steep. Any advice would certainly help.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:40 PM

The rebuild for my 300ZX's tranny cost me $2600, and that was discounted. So $2,000 doesn't sound bad at all.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:43 PM

had it towed to a shop, to have it inspected, saw him put it on a lift and put it into gear, it actually started to roll very slighty, so i figured its already messed up. he says he needs to do a rebuild and would cost 2k for rebult tranny and transfer case including parts and labor, does that sound a little steep. Any advice would certainly help.

I just had my 97 Runner rebuilt with only 89K on it. They rebuilt the tranny and put a cooler on it for just under $2,000. So I would say they are in the ball park.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:44 PM

This is one of those "you gotta be there" things i think. Does it need a rebuild? who knows for sure. It could be a solenoid, it could be clutches are worn out. If you trust the mechanic then it should be okay to rebuild and the price does sound fair unfortunatley. Let us know what happens and good luck.

Steve