Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ATS a-arms

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, that is an awesome difference in travel compared to this picture from one of the other guys that just posted on one of the other threads. I'm very impressed with your setup, especially since you are going uphill, which is less weight on your front end.

Chris
Old 12-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

There was this one hill we were all climbing and it got pretty rutted out from all the wheel spins of the other vehicles. On the way back down I intentionally took the route that put me in the deepest ruts, to the extent that my left front and right rear came off the ground. I stopped at that point and took the best look I could, but I didn't want to take a chance with trying to set my parking brake and climbing out to take pictures. It would have been a great shot showing my right front fully compressed. Lars Dennert was below me looking back giving me the thumbs up. hopefully he got a shot of it.

That stump was the center of attraction in camp, when a few of the SAS'ed vehicles went over and rode up on it. After they were done I had to give it a go. Actually I drove right up without any problems, then a few wanted me to continue over the top. I laughed, they said "You need to test out your slider too", I replied no way am I gonna get high centered.... Well, right after I backed off, a land crusier drove up and tried to go over, guess what he got high centered........hehe

Now if ARB can get me my bumper.............been waiting more than 2 months now!!!
Old 12-24-2003, 03:10 AM
Contributing Member

This is from Donahoe, I had planned on going with stock length uppers, but for those who might want to try this route:
DYLANDR
I have the Total Chaos upper arms on our development truck, they do two things for you:
1. They raise the pivot center of the upper arm. This will lower your roll center which is beneficial because when you lift your truck with stock arms your roll center also raises changing handling and tire scrub at the heigher ride height. It’s not a terrible thing but the new arms do make it better. Before the arms I would go over uneven pavement or railroad tracks and you could hear the tires scrubbing in and out, after the arms it was much better

2. The uniball pivot has more angularity. On the stock arm the upper ball joint is the limiting factor for how much down travel you can get. When I designed the Donahoe coilover I gave the shock as much down travel as I could without damaging the stock upper ball joint (about 1” more than stock). After working with Total Chaos I developed another version of our shock to be used exclusively with the Total Chaos arm. It has more down travel to take advantage of the increased angularity that the uniball arm has, giving you an additional 1” of down travel.

The combination yields about 9.5” of travel and handles great!!!!

!!!!NOTE: do not use the Total Chaos version of the Donahoe Racing coilover on stock arms or you will damage your upper Ball joint.
On 4x4's you should also lower the diff !!!!
And as for the upper A-arms hitting the coil buckets, after more research and asking around to people that had this problem this is the answer I recieved
The arms themselves don't hit the bucket, what happens is since the pivot point of the upper spindle is now about an inch higher it slightly changes the arc of travel and the back side of the spindle is actually what hits the coil bucket. The simple solution is to just grind down the sharp edge on the back side of the spindle or you can be lazy like me and let it clearance itself

One other note, even though the ATS A-arms may be cheaper, with the Total Chaos Uniball A-arms your getting new upper ball joints with the kit and no more boot leakage problems as well.

Last edited by BruceTS; 12-24-2003 at 03:48 AM.
Old 12-27-2003, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

time has almost expired on corey's camburg deal, i thought a member here was going to post the link JIC someone missed it ,but i havent seen it so here you go:ttora link (camburg special)
Old 12-27-2003, 07:00 PM

Well measured the travel of my front end today, and it looks like I had a difference of 8.5-9" between the stuffed wheel and fully dropped wheel. I have stock 1997 coils, cornfed 1.5" spacer, revtek 1/4" top out extender, OME firm front shocks, and stock a-arms.

Chris

P.S. I have pics too, but haven't had time to upload them.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ravencr
it looks like I had a difference of 8.5-9" between the stuffed wheel and fully dropped wheel.
not bad. i had almost 10" of travel before i added the Revtek topout spacers, i havent measured since i installed them.
Old 12-28-2003, 06:21 PM

I'm loading som awesome flex pics from my trip yesterday, and man do I wish I had some of today's trip too, so stay tuned!!

Chris
Old 12-28-2003, 07:12 PM

Here's the latest flex shots from my trip this past Saturday with Dragr1 and his wife:

We had a blast, and if you want to see the rest of the pics from this trip go here: http://www.toyota-4runners.com/windrock12-27-03.html and http://www.toyota-4runners.com/off-roading.html to see all my pics and vids.

Chris

Last edited by ravencr; 12-28-2003 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by justinh
not necessarily more travel, just similar and they cost half as much. i also like the fact that the repositioning of the ball joint should relieve lots of stress, which is one of my biggest worries, although i have heard of very few probs with them.

they have a web-site....
http://inlandtrucks.com/index.htm
I'm new to this forum, but I tried accessing their site and all I got was "Inland Trucks and cars." Is that their correct site or did I goof somewhere? I remember ATS from when the owner Scott ran the business out of his backyard. I heard rumors that he was still producing his product for a company, but I never found out who. I had an ATS kit on my 94 and it was tough. Better ground clearance, smoother cycle of travel and better steering geometry. Do you know if there is an LT kit for the 07's?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:48 AM

I clicked on the link you provided for "Inland Trucks" and all i got was a site for a toyota service company "Inland trucks and cars. Is this the correct site?
Old 08-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

mind you this is a 4 year old thread the links may have changed, but instead of reposting that you could have read the very first post

All ATS custom fabrication and long travel kits are now done at Inland Trucks by the original engineer/fabricator of ATS products
Old 08-02-2007, 10:25 AM

i came across this from a google search not from going through posts so i had no way of knowing. but thanks for assuming.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

not going to start this again but if you take the time to register and all at least click to the beginning to see what they have to say...just a thought
Old 08-02-2007, 11:14 AM

the link doesn't work plain and simple. i don't see it posted anywhere else. i am trying to findout if anyone knows the correct web address for inland trucks if they still exist. if you have the answer great, help me out so i can find what i am looking for. Total Chaos and Camburg no longer offer the option of ball joint all you can get is uniball. most long travel arms out on the market are uniball. uniballs have a life span of 4 years. I have read that inland trucks offers their long travel arms in either ball joint or uniball. would you agree? do you run a long travel kit? if so what do you have? have you experienced any problems?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
someone needs to take internet 101...

http://www.inlandtrucks-cars.com/
Old 08-02-2007, 01:10 PM

no i just stumbled across a forum that people obviously don't know how to answer a simple question. what part of i tried that and it didn't work didn't you or the other guy understand? this forum sucks. i'm just going to go back to the one that actually has knowledgeable people that are happy to help me out if i have questions not act or answer with such ignorance. oh yeah and YOU AND THE OTHER GUY DIDN'T EVEN ANSWER CORRECTLY WITH THE QUESTION I ASKED!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bajarnnr1
no i just stumbled across a forum that people obviously don't know how to answer a simple question. what part of i tried that and it didn't work didn't you or the other guy understand? this forum sucks. i'm just going to go back to the one that actually has knowledgeable people that are happy to help me out if i have questions not act or answer with such ignorance. oh yeah and YOU AND THE OTHER GUY DIDN'T EVEN ANSWER CORRECTLY WITH THE QUESTION I ASKED!
they only do custom fab work, you arent going to get anything off the shelf from them.

and you need to chill out. read before you post. thats common sense.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:41 PM

i did, but when i attempted to access the link it took me to a site that had nothing to do with fab work or performance. it was just a service shop. when i had a question regarding the link all i got was smartass remarks. wether the link is old or not that shouldn't matter. all i wanted to know was if the link had changed and if someone knew what it currently is now. all someone had to do was inform me that it was still the same or it had been changed. i shouldn't be insulted for asking a simple question. do you agree? thanks for the information anyways. i was under the impression that Scott the exowner of ATS was exclusivly producing and having his product sold through inland trucks, just under their name. it was years ago that i came across this. i've got a new truck and i wanted to install LT arms, but i don't want to go with what is only available.... uniball. i see you have camburg's on yours. do you have the LT arms or just the uca's? have you had any trouble with the uniball failing as i have heard?
Old 08-02-2007, 03:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bajarnnr1
i did, but when i attempted to access the link it took me to a site that had nothing to do with fab work or performance. it was just a service shop. when i had a question regarding the link all i got was smartass remarks. wether the link is old or not that shouldn't matter. all i wanted to know was if the link had changed and if someone knew what it currently is now. all someone had to do was inform me that it was still the same or it had been changed. i shouldn't be insulted for asking a simple question. do you agree? thanks for the information anyways. i was under the impression that Scott the exowner of ATS was exclusivly producing and having his product sold through inland trucks, just under their name. it was years ago that i came across this. i've got a new truck and i wanted to install LT arms, but i don't want to go with what is only available.... uniball. i see you have camburg's on yours. do you have the LT arms or just the uca's? have you had any trouble with the uniball failing as i have heard?
that site is inlands, site, they are a service shop.

as far as my arms, i have standard UCAs, the LT camburg arms have a bigger uniball, but no mine have not failed but do squeak a little. donahoe has some arms with a boot over the uniball which will keep it from corroding or something of that sort.

Last edited by neliconcept; 08-02-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Let me get this straight...you are mad because people here won't find the answer for you. Have you tried calling the phone number that is in bright red at the bottom of the page? It looks like this (951) 461-4412.

"Why should I make a phone call" you ask. Well after doing some research for you, I found that the street address for Inland Trucks (when they made the a-arms, www.InlandTrucks.com) is the same as the address on the current page...or in other words, the one that has the phone number. So with my high school education, I would think that if I called them they might know the status of the maker of the old ATS a-arms since they used to work out of the same address.