Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone interested in a rear tire carrier

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone interested in a rear tire carrier

I have started building a tire carrier that would simply slide into you rear receiver hitch... I'm working on making it swing down so you can still use you rear window. It has a place on the side for a high lift jack and a water can... Would anyone be intested in this? I'm going to finish it up tonight and will put some pics up. Let me know if you would be intested. Angel of approach is not hurt to much only about 3". They will probably sale for around $150.00.

Let me know
Chris
Old 12-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, that's mighty cool of ya!

I don't have a runner but here's a bump for you!
Old 12-29-2003, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
From other thread

I have decided that for the cost involved, a simple tire carrier like shown in the pics in the other thread is what I am going to do. No hinges to bust, no significant moment arms to worry about, and no latches to break, just a piece of tubing in the trailer hitch receiver to a 90 degree, up to a plate with (3) lugs in a Toyota wheel pattern, with an illuminated license plate frame attached on the side of the main vertical post that attaches to the wiring harness for illumination. Then I'll get a nice custom bumper later and won't have the tire carrier issues to worry about and it should be a heckuvalot cheaper too.

Old 12-29-2003, 01:41 PM
DSP

I am still saving my nics and dimes for the Rockware...

but would be really interested in seeing some finished pics of your work.

I am especially interested in the high lift potential, I really want to get mine off the roof and onto the bumper.

can't wait to see the final product.
DSP
Old 12-29-2003, 01:53 PM
CTB

Ya, I'm not exactly in the market for a rear tire carrier at this point, but I would also like to see your finished product. Post pics when you get the chance...
Old 12-29-2003, 05:03 PM

I'm interested!

Just got some 285's today and now the spare won't fit. I'm looking for a low cost alternative to a bumper (until mine gets ripped off on the trail). Everything on the market seems to seriously compromise departure angles and costs way too much.

My main concern would be access to the (hatch back) cargo area. Could the tire be offset to the passenger side of the vehicle? At least that way you could get in the window. Maybe it could be made to rotate (at the hitch, clockwise or counterclockwise) instead of hinge?

You're right about simplicity, though, and the cheaper the better. Just pullin it off the hitch wouldn't be too bad, I guess.

Thanks! I was hoping somone would make somthing like this.

Dozer
Old 12-30-2003, 03:18 AM

I will have pics soon

I took the digital home lastnight from work and forgot the memory card... Damnit... I will have to do tonight.. I must say the carrier is sweet. I had it on lastnight and stoppped to get some gas and a TJ Jeep guy said that is a cool nice looking way to carrier the spare.... Ww just need to make sure everyone has a class 3 hitch with a 2" opening...
Old 12-30-2003, 09:45 AM

I have pics

Please send me your E-mail address and I will send you a pic or 2. my E-mail is www.chrisbrittain@flagshipbrands.com.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Re: I have pics

----- The following addresses had permanent delivery errors -----
i think its supposed to be chrisbrittain@flagshipbrands.com ???
Old 12-30-2003, 10:08 AM

Your right

Your right sorry I was in a hurry and used cut and paste... Damn computer operators...... :pat:
Old 12-30-2003, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

pic 1:
Attached Thumbnails Anyone interested in a rear tire carrier-tirecarrier.jpg  
Old 12-30-2003, 10:43 AM

Thanks

Could you please put the other pic up also...Thanks again Chris
Old 12-30-2003, 12:22 PM
Contributing Member

Per Chris:

Old 12-30-2003, 12:27 PM

Thanks so much

If anyone can help me design it better, or some more Ideas please let me know. This is still a rough idea. I plan to make it very nice and user friendly. Just adding ideas as I figure them out. Any help would be appreciated Chris
Old 12-30-2003, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Round 2

Not a problem, Chris. Here's your second round of pics:

Old 12-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Banned

Tire Size

What size tire you got up there, a 265?

I am going to fab one up and I am going to make it so it will flip down holding a 285...

Here is my idea:
Use 2x2x1/4" tubing to insert into the receiver, just like a normal hitch. 90 degree to that another piece of tubing vertical that is gussetted on the outside for support and so it can flip down and attache at the 90 with a bolt as a pivot point. Use another 5/8" hitch pin through the front part of the gussets and the tubing to secure. Attach a lighted license plate frame below the tire that plugs into your trailer wiring harness. Cut out a piece of 1/4" plate to the diameter of the wheel and add some Toyota lugs on the Toyota bolt pattern and whola! I'm just wondering how much visibility there will be out the back window.

I also want to make sure that my tire is above the bumper so that it won't get hit in a collision with another lower vehicle.

I'll just have to go take some measurements.

Old 12-30-2003, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

sorry chris, i couldnt get the second one small enough to attach and i dont have much room on my server so i couldnt host them for you.

thanks for picking this one up darren.

the only thing i see is that you cannot use the hitch while the thing is in there, that would suck for those who tow a lot.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:03 PM
Banned

Towing

Originally posted by RTdawgs
sorry chris, i couldnt get the second one small enough to attach and i dont have much room on my server so i couldnt host them for you.

thanks for picking this one up darren.

the only thing i see is that you cannot use the hitch while the thing is in there, that would suck for those who tow a lot.
You could make one to tow, as I think the other thread had one that would, but you would cut your towing capacity at least by 1/3 I would imagine.

Old 12-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Overall, I like the idea, and is definitely a cheaper alternative to buying an expensive rear bumper. The key issues I see that have been brought up are 1) finding a way to get the tire out of the way so the hatch can be used and 2) still be able to use the trailer hitch for a shackle/reciever for a recovery point.

So, you're still going to have to use some sort of hinge to get the tire out of the way. I would tuck the arm in alot closer to the body to improve clearance angle on the back. I would set the tire a bit lower as well, so that visibility is retained in the back window, and offset the tire to the right.

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 12-30-2003 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:07 PM
Banned

Offset

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Overall, I like the idea, and is definitely a cheaper alternative to buying an expensive rear bumper. The key issues I see that have been brought up are 1) finding a way to get the tire out of the way so the hatch can be used and 2) still be able to use the trailer hitch for a shackle/reciever for a recovery point.

So, you're still going to have to use some sort of hinge to get the tire out of the way. I would tuck the arm in alot closer to the body to improve clearance angle on the back. I would set the tire a bit lower as well, so that visibility is retained in the back window, and offset the tire to the right. What I'm thinking of is something like this (excuse the crude drawing). As far as departure angle, you'll probably run into more problems with the lower portion of the carrier hitting than the tire itself.
I think that offsetting the tire will cause more problems than it is worth due to bending moments.

If the hitch is the lowest point anyway, extending it out just enough to clear the tire off the tailgate should not become an issue most of the time. For those who would have issues of bottoming out in the rear, they should just stick the tire in the cargo area with some tie straps.

The biggest problem here is going to be visibility with a 285 or larger on there. I still don't know if it is practical for off-road or even on road use.

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in a rear tire carrier